WTF?--- News hot off the press that makes you say--- WTF?

GoodKarma

Everest "death zone" set for a spring clean up. - Reuters Africa

KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Twenty Nepali climbers are setting off to Mount Everest this week to try and remove decades-old garbage from the mountain in the world's highest ever clean-up campaign, organisers said Monday.

Many foreign and Nepali climbers have cleaned Mount Everest in the past but Namgyal Sherpa, leader of the Extreme Everest Expedition 2010, said no one had dared to clean above 8,000 metres (26,246 feet), an area known as the "death zone" for the lack of oxygen and treacherous terrain.

Sherpa and his team of seasoned climbers, carrying empty rucksacks and special bags, will risk the zone's thin air and freezing temperatures to pick empty oxygen bottles, gas canisters, torn tents, ropes, and utensils lying between the South Col and the 8,850 metre (29,035 feet) summit.

"This is the first time we are cleaning at that height, the death zone. It is very difficult and dangerous," said Sherpa, who has climbed Everest, the world's tallest peak, seven times.

"The garbage was buried under snow in the past. But now it has come out on the surface because of the melting of snow due to global warming," the 30-year-old said.

Icelandic volcano: The impact is broad, but could be worse. - USAToday

The worst-case scenario is that if volcano E's eruption intensifies, causing the nearby Katla volcano to erupt.

"When Katla went off in the 1700s, the USA suffered a very cold winter," says Gary Hufford, a scientist with the Alaska Region of the National Weather Service. "The Mississippi River froze just north of New Orleans, and the East Coast, especially New England, had an extremely cold winter. Depending on a new eruption, Katla could cause some serious weather changes."

The best-case scenario

The volcano is producing eruptive pulses that are sending ash and gases up to about 25,000 feet. The prevailing winds are westerly, so the ash cloud is being pushed east toward Scandinavia and down toward the United Kingdom.

That's typical for volcanoes in Iceland, says volcanologist Michael Bursik of the University of Buffalo. Eruptions "happen all the time, and usually the planes just divert around them," he says.

Volcanologists have worked with airlines for more than a decade to handle eruption diversions, since incidents in 1982 and 1989 in Indonesia and Alaska, respectively, in which jets flying through ash clouds had their engines shut down. In both cases, the engines restarted when the jets got out of the ash clouds.

Leech found in girl's nostril, named T.rex because of teeth

A leech found in a nine-year-old girl’s nostril has been named after the most savage dinosaur in history because of its saw-like teeth.

The Tyrannobdella rex, or 'tyrant leech king' in Latin, was discovered in the nose of a Peruvian child by physician Physician Renzo Arauco-Brown.

The girl's parents had sought help after the child – who is thought to have regularly swam in Peru's tropical rivers and lakes – complained of feeling a sliding sensation in her nose.

Scientists have classified the 2-inch creature as a new species and believe it may have infested the noses of other animals, possibly including dinosaurs.

“Some ancestor of our T. rex may have been up that other T. rex’s nose,†said Mark Siddall, one of the from the American Museum of Natural History in New York researchers who anaylysed the creature.

The animal, which was described in the research journal PLoS One, only has one jaw, with teeth about the width of a human hair.

"It uses [its jaw] like a saw. It doesn't need a huge wound because it has incredible suction power,"

Mr Siddall said.

“We named it Tyrannobdella rex because of its enormous teeth," he added.

"Besides, the earliest species in this family of these leeches no doubt shared an environment with dinosaurs about 200 million years ago.

"The new T. rex joins four other species that use this abbreviated name, including two Miocene fossils [a snail and a scarab beetle], a living Malaysian formicid ant, and, of course, the infamous Cretaceous theropod dinosaur that was described in 1905 by an earlier curator of the American Museum of Natural History."

The 4G iphone pictured in Teddy's Journal has been proven to be legit. A funny letter between Gizmodo and Apple:

"Blog: Apple letter proves phone prototype is real deal

Apple wants its phone back.

Tech blog Gizmodo - which posted video of a phone it says is the prototype of the latest iPhone - received a letter from Apple Inc. on Monday that it says erases any doubt the phone is the real deal.

"It has come to our attention that GIZMODO is currently in possession of a device that belongs to Apple," the short letter from Apple's lawyer to the blog begins.

"This letter constitutes a formal request that you return the device to Apple. Please let me know where to pick up the unit."

Gizmodo, which put up the letter, says it has complied.

"Just so you know, we didn't know this was stolen when we bought it," wrote Brian Lam, the site's editorial director, in his response. " Now that we definitely know it's not some knockoff, and it really is Apple's, I'm happy to see it returned to its rightful owner.

"P.S. I hope you take it easy on the kid who lost it. I don't think he loves anything more than Apple except, well, beer."

Photos of the fourth-generation iPhone prototype first appeared on the tech blog Engadget over the weekend. The site said whoever sent the photos found the phone on the floor of a bar in San Jose, California.

On Monday, Gizmodo said it had obtained the device - but wouldn't say how."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/20/blog-apple-letter-proves-phone-prototype-is-real-deal/?hpt=T2

The 4G iphone pictured in Teddy's Journal has been proven to be legit. A funny letter between Gizmodo and Apple:

"Blog: Apple letter proves phone prototype is real deal

Apple wants its phone back.

Tech blog Gizmodo - which posted video of a phone it says is the prototype of the latest iPhone - received a letter from Apple Inc. on Monday that it says erases any doubt the phone is the real deal.

"It has come to our attention that GIZMODO is currently in possession of a device that belongs to Apple," the short letter from Apple's lawyer to the blog begins.

"This letter constitutes a formal request that you return the device to Apple. Please let me know where to pick up the unit."

Gizmodo, which put up the letter, says it has complied.

"Just so you know, we didn't know this was stolen when we bought it," wrote Brian Lam, the site's editorial director, in his response. " Now that we definitely know it's not some knockoff, and it really is Apple's, I'm happy to see it returned to its rightful owner.

"P.S. I hope you take it easy on the kid who lost it. I don't think he loves anything more than Apple except, well, beer."

Photos of the fourth-generation iPhone prototype first appeared on the tech blog Engadget over the weekend. The site said whoever sent the photos found the phone on the floor of a bar in San Jose, California.

On Monday, Gizmodo said it had obtained the device - but wouldn't say how."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/20/blog-apple-letter-proves-phone-prototype-is-real-deal/?hpt=T2

They are probably already selling them in MBK.

Soliders On Patpong Distracted By Shirtless Movement

PATPONG – Infantrymen assigned to Patpong were reported to be fatigued and on edge after spending much of last night keeping a close eye on the shirtless movement that took over the soi.

The shirtless movement began slowly around 8pm and then peaked around 11pm with many taking off and putting on their shirts in rotating 20-minute shifts, a tactic that appeared to frustrate the soldiers. Around midnight, the situation grew even more tense when soldiers were alerted of a panty-less gathering halfway down the street.

The soldiers, some of them young conscripts from outside Bangkok, had shown great perseverance and would remember this test of their training for years to come, said senior military officials.

“It takes a brave man to stand outside Super Pussy for hours without so much as flinching,” said Captain Piyat Weesakul of the 4th Infantry Division. “These boys may have woken up a bit randy this morning but they served their country well.”

“This is a dream come true,” said one 21-year-old conscript, “Bring it on.”

The army appears unconcerned that the shirtless movement will escalate tensions further in Bangkok but said action would be taken if necessary. “If they take to the streets we will have no other choice but to handcuff them,” said Captain Piyat.

and in International news...

Bolivian president says eating chicken turns men gay

Evo Morales told a conference on climate change: "The chicken we eat is loaded with female hormones. So, when men eat it, they tend to deviate from their manhood."

He added that he only eats non-genetically modified chicken to avoid becoming gay or effeminate.

President Morales' remarks angered one of Argentina's gay groups, which questioned his logic.

The president of the Argentina Homosexual Community campaigning organisation, Cesar Cigliutti, told AFP: "It's an absurdity to think that eating hormone-containing chicken can change the sexual orientation of a person.

"By following that reasoning, if we put male hormones in a chicken and we make a homosexual eat it he will transform into a heterosexual."

Morales also argued that eating treated chicken could turn men bald.

He said: "Baldness, which seems normal, is a disease in Europe. Almost everyone is bald and it's related to the food they eat. Among the indigenous people there are no bald men, because we eat different things.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/04/22/bolivian-president-says-eating-chicken-turns-men-gay/

WTF????

:shock: :shock:

From NTN:

"“The Nation” Sets Record For World’s Biggest Typo

BANGKOK - Thai journalism recorded another milestone yesterday when local English-language newspaper The Nation broke the existing world record for the world’s largest typo.

The record-setting error was posted on the top of The Nation’s website, where a slideshow rotates several images that are large enough to fill most computer screens. Each image contains a graphic headline in 136-point font, making them the largest known headlines in cyberpace journalism.

Tuesday’s rotation featured a promotion for an upcoming performance of William Shakespeare’s play “The Tempest,” which was described as an event that “STROMS INTO ASIA.”

The enormous size and prominent placement of the glaring error, compounded by the fact that it was advertising an art event that did not merit being included in the day’s top news, added up to what journalists are hailing as “the greatest online typo of the new millennium.”

No one at The Nation was available for comment, as the phone number listed on their website appears to be missing a digit."

From TN:

"Korbsak says he no longer negotiator with red shirts

PM's Secretary-General Korbsak Sabhavasu posted a message on his Twitter page that he is no longer the chief negotiator with the red-shirt leaders.

"The prime minister has assigned another person to take over the job," Korbsak said."

The first direct flight between Iraq and the UK for 20 years has taken off from Baghdad airport, bound for London.

The Iraqi Airways flight had been due to take off nine days ago, but was grounded by the volcanic ash cloud drifting over Europe.

The flight, nearly a year behind schedule, was the first since the UN imposed sanctions after Saddam Hussein's 1990 invasion of Kuwait.

It was stopping in Sweden for security checks en route to Gatwick airport.

Security concerns

"A Boeing 737-400 Iraqi Airways flight left at 3pm (1200 GMT) for the first time in 20 years from Baghdad to London via Malmo," Iraq's civil aviation director, Adnan Blebil, told the AFP news agency.

Thirty foreign and Iraqi passengers were on board Flight 237, including transport minister Amer Abduljabbar Ismail and Iraqi Airways chief Kifah Hassan.

Their trip was delayed for many months, mainly because of security concerns in the UK and other EU countries.

Even then, events kept the plane grounded a little longer.

It should have taken off on April 16. But Iceland's Eyjafjoell volcano erupted two days earlier, causing thousands of flights across Europe to be cancelled.

Mr Blebil added that there would be two flights a week, going via Malmo on the way to London, but non-stop on the way back.

So, a direct flight that needed to stop over in Sweden.lol....But direct on the way back. Anyone up for a trip? :lol:

M.I.A. New video "Born Free", featuring sex, violence and nudity, stirs up Internet storm-The Vancouver Sun

:::Warning:::Contains nudity, extreme violence must be 18+ to watch it was banned & yanked from Youtube.

M.I.A.'s New Controversial Video

couple arrested for selling monkey meatballs.-The Huffington Post

Did Apple call the cops on Gizmodo?-CNet News

Police seize editor Jason Chen's home computers without him present-Gizmodo

The official police document

Granny, 72, Having A Baby With Her Grandson

SkyNews © Sky News 2010

A grandmother has shocked her friends and family after revealing she is having a baby with her own grandson.

Pearl Carter, 72, says she has never been happier after beginning an incestuous relationship with her 26-year-old grandchild Phil Bailey.

The pensioner, from Indiana, US, is using her pension to pay a surrogate mother so they can have a child, reports New Zealand's New Idea magazine.

She said: "I'm not interested in anyone else's opinion. I am in love with Phil and he's in love with me.

"Soon I'll be holding my son or daughter in my arms and Phil will be the proud dad."

Her lover is the son of Pearl's daughter Lynette Bailey - who she put up for adoption when she was 18-years-old.

When his mother passed away, Phil tracked down his long lost grandmother and they quickly fell in love.

Pearl told New Idea magazine: "From the first moment that I saw him, I knew we would never have a grandmother-grandson relationship.

"For the first time in years I felt sexually alive."

It was during their second week together, after dinner and wine, that Pearl made her move.

"I called Phil into my bedroom, sat him on the bed, and then I leant over and kissed him," she added.

"I expected rejection but instead he kissed me back."

Phil revealed: "I wanted to kiss her there and then. My feelings were overwhelming.

"I love Pearl with all my heart. I've always been attracted to older women and I think Pearl is gorgeous. Now I'm going to be a dad and I can't wait.

"Yes, we get laughed at and bullied when we go out and kiss in public but we don't care. You can't help who you fall for."

The pair paid $54,000 (£35,000) to find a surrogate mother and buy a donor egg to inseminate with Phil's sperm.

They placed an advert asking for an open-minded surrogate, and Roxanne Campbell applied.

"Initially I was shocked," says Roxanne, 30. "But they're a brilliant pair and I saw how much they loved each other. I know the baby will be loved too."

Pearl said: "I am finally going to be a mum and not forced to give up my child. Phil's going to be a great dad.

"I never in a million years thought at 72 I'd be 'pregnant' and in love with my grandson.

"I make no apologies and I believe God's given me a second chance."

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100430/tod-granny-72-having-a-baby-with-her-gra-870a197.html

Granny, 72, Having A Baby With Her Grandson

SkyNews © Sky News 2010

A grandmother has shocked her friends and family after revealing she is having a baby with her own grandson.

Pearl Carter, 72, says she has never been happier after beginning an incestuous relationship with her 26-year-old grandchild Phil Bailey.

The pensioner, from Indiana, US, is using her pension to pay a surrogate mother so they can have a child, reports New Zealand's New Idea magazine.

She said: "I'm not interested in anyone else's opinion. I am in love with Phil and he's in love with me.

"Soon I'll be holding my son or daughter in my arms and Phil will be the proud dad."

Her lover is the son of Pearl's daughter Lynette Bailey - who she put up for adoption when she was 18-years-old.

When his mother passed away, Phil tracked down his long lost grandmother and they quickly fell in love.

Pearl told New Idea magazine: "From the first moment that I saw him, I knew we would never have a grandmother-grandson relationship.

"For the first time in years I felt sexually alive."

It was during their second week together, after dinner and wine, that Pearl made her move.

"I called Phil into my bedroom, sat him on the bed, and then I leant over and kissed him," she added.

"I expected rejection but instead he kissed me back."

Phil revealed: "I wanted to kiss her there and then. My feelings were overwhelming.

"I love Pearl with all my heart. I've always been attracted to older women and I think Pearl is gorgeous. Now I'm going to be a dad and I can't wait.

"Yes, we get laughed at and bullied when we go out and kiss in public but we don't care. You can't help who you fall for."

The pair paid $54,000 (£35,000) to find a surrogate mother and buy a donor egg to inseminate with Phil's sperm.

They placed an advert asking for an open-minded surrogate, and Roxanne Campbell applied.

"Initially I was shocked," says Roxanne, 30. "But they're a brilliant pair and I saw how much they loved each other. I know the baby will be loved too."

Pearl said: "I am finally going to be a mum and not forced to give up my child. Phil's going to be a great dad.

"I never in a million years thought at 72 I'd be 'pregnant' and in love with my grandson.

"I make no apologies and I believe God's given me a second chance."

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100430/tod-granny-72-having-a-baby-with-her-gra-870a197.html

That is the craziest **** Ive heard in a long time. A true WTF moment.

Teacher with rabbit phobia to sue 14-year-old for drawing bunny

A teacher with a phobia over rabbits is suing a 14-year-old pupil for compensation after she drew a bunny on the blackboard.The teacher, from Vechta, Germany, says she was traumatised by the drawing, and claims the girl knew it would terrify her.

She had transferred to the school where a pupil from her former school had just become a pupil and told her new friends about the teacher's fear of rabbits.

"We did it for fun and out of curiosity", one of the girls told a court, adding, "We wanted to see if she would really freak out."

School officials removed her from the class and now the teacher is seeking compensation for her terror and her loss of earnings, her lawyer Manfred Bormann told the court.

The case continues.

Ahh where would we be with out lawyers.

A teacher with a phobia over rabbits is suing a 14-year-old pupil for compensation after she drew a bunny on the blackboard.The teacher, from Vechta, Germany, says she was traumatised by the drawing, and claims the girl knew it would terrify her.

She had transferred to the school where a pupil from her former school had just become a pupil and told her new friends about the teacher's fear of rabbits.

"We did it for fun and out of curiosity", one of the girls told a court, adding, "We wanted to see if she would really freak out."

School officials removed her from the class and now the teacher is seeking compensation for her terror and her loss of earnings, her lawyer Manfred Bormann told the court.

The case continues.

wtf, indeed.

can you imagine if that teacher sees my friend profile? http://www.thailandfriends.com/Green__Tea

The case continues.

wtf, indeed.

can you imagine if that teacher sees my friend profile? http://www.thailandfriends.com/Green__Tea

wonder if she has the same aversion to the 'rampant' variety...

:twisted:

and, for once, a truly heartwarming wtf story...

Blind Boy 'Sees' Using Dolphin-Style Click

Yesterday, 05:19 pm

SkyNews © Sky News 2010

A boy of four who is blind has been taught to "see" by clicking his tongue and listening to the way the noise bounces off nearby objects.

Jamie Aspland uses echo-location, the same technique dolphins use to navigate through the sea, to build up a mental image of the world around him.

He is one of a handful of children to learn the method from Californian Daniel Kish.

Daniel, who is himself blind, pioneered the technique and has been touring the world teaching others.

Jamie spent three days with him in February and has been practising the method ever since.

Taking the first steps was not easy for Jamie's family.

"The first time I let go of Jamie's hand was really difficult," said his mum, Debs.

"We could see him walking towards a fence and my heart stopped. But literally without using a stick or anything he just knew it was there and walked around it. I was so amazed."

His family had to raise £2,500 to pay for the sessions, but say it has been worth every penny.

Jamie can now walk downstairs without help and can already distinguish between objects placed in front of him.

Eventually he should be able to detect buildings or people 100m away from him.

It also means he will not need a guide dog in the future.

His mum says within just two months the improvements are enormous.

"We always had to hold his hand before, but now he's much more independent," she said.

"It's given him a new lease of life and he's definitely much happier too.

"I know some people might be sceptical but I say 'Come and take a look at how this has changed our lives'.

"Jamie used to have behavioural problems and was very frustrated.

"He's now going out and having fun, and we're having normal family days, something we never had before."

:D

SkyNews © Sky News 2010

A boy of four who is blind has been taught to "see" by clicking his tongue and listening to the way the noise bounces off nearby objects.

Jamie Aspland uses echo-location, the same technique dolphins use to navigate through the sea, to build up a mental image of the world around him.

He is one of a handful of children to learn the method from Californian Daniel Kish.

Daniel, who is himself blind, pioneered the technique and has been touring the world teaching others.

Jamie spent three days with him in February and has been practising the method ever since.

"The first time I let go of Jamie's hand was really difficult," said his mum, Debs.

"We could see him walking towards a fence and my heart stopped. But literally without using a stick or anything he just knew it was there and walked around it. I was so amazed."

His family had to raise £2,500 to pay for the sessions, but say it has been worth every penny.

Jamie can now walk downstairs without help and can already distinguish between objects placed in front of him.

"We always had to hold his hand before, but now he's much more independent," she said.

"I know some people might be sceptical but I say 'Come and take a look at how this has changed our lives'.

"He's now going out and having fun, and we're having normal family days, something we never had before."

That's awesome. It would only work when he is around stationary objects, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Yes, I just tried clicking at a wall...

SkyNews © Sky News 2010

That's awesome. It would only work when he is around stationary objects, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Yes, I just tried clicking at a wall...

Not much good if hes in a anechoic chamber with a steep drop in sight (no pun intended). :lol: