WTF?--- News hot off the press that makes you say--- WTF?

GoodKarma

I don't see other Abrahamic religions advocating children marrying adults , female genital mutilation, rising honour killings, multiple wives at the same time, the forcing of women to lose rights of expression, mass beheadings, using horrific violence (read time magazine) to control people, encouraging abortion of female kids because they want a son as,

No but I've seen all of the above across the African continent, mostly in the name of Christ..... no one seems to give two shits about the rampant child brides, honour killings, women not having a voice, genital mutilation, genocide, child soldiers, drowning of female kids, mass violence to control people..... wait, Africa isn't the buzz word of 2000 is it now.

I don't see other Abrahamic religions advocating children marrying adults , female genital mutilation, rising honour killings, multiple wives at the same time, the forcing of women to lose rights of expression, mass beheadings, using horrific violence (read time magazine) to control people, encouraging abortion of female kids because they want a son as,

No but I've seen all of the above across the African continent, mostly in the name of Christ..... no one seems to give two sh*ts about the rampant child brides, honour killings, women not having a voice, genital mutilation, genocide, child soldiers, drowning of female kids, mass violence to control people..... wait, Africa isn't the buzz word of 2000 is it now.

Whats the point here ??? :?

What matters is if any these things are happening anywhere.

I would think this taking place anywhere would be equally revolting and unacceptable.

or do one of these two wrongs make somebody more right?

so IF any of us can effect any degree of change

-- or shine a light on these actions -- its better than only making noise about it yet continuing to sit on the old arse

on a lighter note ( from a Darwinist perspective)

Finalist dies at World Sauna event in Finland

The annual World Sauna Championships in Finland have ended in tragedy with the death of one of the finalists, the organisers said.

Russian finalist Vladimir Ladyzhensky and Finnish rival Timo Kaukonen were both taken to hospital after collapsing and Mr Ladyzhensky later died.

The event, which has been running since 1999, requires participants to withstand 110C for as long as possible.

Its chief organiser said all the rules of the event had been followed.

The competition was held in Heinola, 138km (86 miles) north of Helsinki.

Organiser Ossi Arvela said in a statement that the organisers were grief stricken at the events.

Mr Arvela said the police were already at the venue and were undertaking an investigation.

He said: "All the rules were followed and there was enough first aid personnel. All the competitors needed to sign in to the competition with a doctor's certificate."

Mr Kaukonen, who was last year's champion, is being treated in hospital at the city of Lahti.

Still pictures from the event released by news wires showed the pair being treated after having collapsed, apparently suffering burns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10904691

Beej stated:

No but I've seen all of the above across the African continent, mostly in the name of Christ..... no one seems to give two sh*ts about the rampant child brides, honour killings, women not having a voice, genital mutilation, genocide, child soldiers, drowning of female kids, mass violence to control people..... wait, Africa isn't the buzz word of 2000 is it now.

Then let's come down on those places too. I fully agree. Just as did happen in Rwanda (Now a government with more female members of parliament than any other in the world percentage wise). Or at least was..... Checked, still is at 56.3% as of 30th of June 2010. (Shall we try to find a Middle Eastern county to match it? I like matching games. My Arabic teacher in Saudi used to use them to help me remember phrases.) As countries have banded together to try to reduce the atrocious ***** in Sierra Leone and other places, why not in the Stan2 and Saudi, or on the other hand, it’s their country so we should keep out? In that case, should we not have opinions on the south of Thailand? Another belter is: how about the USA and the UK both ignoring a NATO ruling to NOT go into Bosnia to SAVE millions of Muslims from extermination, but going in anyway and bombing front lines of the murdering non-Muslim bastards and hired mercenaries, then sending Special Forces in to train the Muslim groups to defend themselves. NO Muslim nations reacted as quickly as those 2 did, they just moaned how ******* long it took for the USA and the UK to step up to the plate. Come down on them all. Highlight them all, let people know about this scum and ******* remove them.

Worth noting there wasn’t quite the international groups supporting them as there is with ‘Pure’ Islam. I don’t recall people around the world defending their actions via the bible on TV and other forms of media on anything like the scale we have at the moment. Maybe it’s because Face Book wasn’t around then? But your point is valid and Nato made progress by going in.

You don’t see it because you choose to block it out and, I almost forgot, you live in a Muslim neighbourhood, I wish my Muslim neighbourhood had given me insight into every single extremist group out there and showed how misunderstood they are as your has. Your guys must be ******* heroes.

But if you are saying, ‘hey it happens elsewhere too, leave those poor extremist bastards alone’.

Let me help you with the maths.

WRONG + WRONG = WRONG

To try to move the spotlight because the facts don’t fit into your world is naive.

WRONG + WRONG = WRONG

I would think this taking place anywhere would be equally revolting and unacceptable.

-- or shine a light on these actions -- its better than only making noise about it yet continuing to sit on the old arse

The voice of reason and intellect speaks.

more reasonable news from the world of religion...

RC Bishop Links Love Parade Tragedy To 'Sin'

An Austrian bishop has described a German music festival stampede where 21 people died as a sinful event and suggested the deaths may have been God's punishment for losing faith.

Salzburg's Roman Catholic bishop, Andreas Laun, described the Love Parade and participation in it as "a rebellion against creation and against God's order, (which) are sins and an invitation to sin".

As well as the deaths, more than 500 people were injured when a lethal bottleneck formed as revellers tried to get in to the festival in the German city of Duisburg on July 24.

Writing on the German-language website Kath.net, Mr Laun warned against judging the dead.

At the same time, he indirectly linked the deaths to God's right to punish apostates - those who turn their back on the true faith.

The provocative comments are expected to draw outrage from victims' families and survivors.

The remarks from such a senior member of the clergy are also feared to draw the embattled church hierarchy into further criticism of its rigid attitude to modern society.

In recent months the church has tried to weather storms over successive child abuse claims, a lack of sympathy to predator priests' victims and a crisis of legitimacy.

A memorial service was attended by the German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, amid assertions that the parade would never be held again.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100807/twl-rc-bishop-links-love-parade-tragedy-3fd0ae9.html

:evil:

on a lighter note ( from a Darwinist perspective)

Finalist dies at World Sauna event in Finland

The annual World Sauna Championships in Finland have ended in tragedy with the death of one of the finalists, the organisers said.

Russian finalist Vladimir Ladyzhensky and Finnish rival Timo Kaukonen were both taken to hospital after collapsing and Mr Ladyzhensky later died.

The event, which has been running since 1999, requires participants to withstand 110C for as long as possible.

Its chief organiser said all the rules of the event had been followed.

The competition was held in Heinola, 138km (86 miles) north of Helsinki.

Organiser Ossi Arvela said in a statement that the organisers were grief stricken at the events.

Mr Arvela said the police were already at the venue and were undertaking an investigation.

He said: "All the rules were followed and there was enough first aid personnel. All the competitors needed to sign in to the competition with a doctor's certificate."

Mr Kaukonen, who was last year's champion, is being treated in hospital at the city of Lahti.

Still pictures from the event released by news wires showed the pair being treated after having collapsed, apparently suffering burns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10904691

I could find out how long these guys were in there...any idea?

:lol: lighter note eh :shock:

and--- only 110 degrees F

... the sauna always feels much hotter than that when I am in it...

( guess that is what the egg says in the frying pan too :wink: )

Five days ago, in the northeastern port city of Dalian, China, two oil pipelines exploded, sending flames hundreds of feet into the air and burning for over 15 hours, destroying several structures - the cause of the explosion is under investigation. The damaged pipes released thousands of gallons of oil, which flowed into the nearby harbor and the Yellow Sea. The total amount of oil spilled is still not clear, though China Central Television earlier reported an estimate of 1,500 tons (400,000 gallons), as compared to the estimated 94 - 184 million gallons in the BP oil spill off the Louisiana coast. The oil slick has now grown to at least 430 square kilometers (165 sq mi), forcing beaches and port facilities to close while government workers and local fishermen work to contain and clean up the spill. (29 photos total)

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/07/oil_spill_in_dalian_china.html

ChinaOilSpill.jpg

Five days ago, in the northeastern port city of Dalian, China, two oil pipelines exploded, sending flames hundreds of feet into the air and burning for over 15 hours, destroying several structures - the cause of the explosion is under investigation. The damaged pipes released thousands of gallons of oil, which flowed into the nearby harbor and the Yellow Sea. The total amount of oil spilled is still not clear, though China Central Television earlier reported an estimate of 1,500 tons (400,000 gallons), as compared to the estimated 94 - 184 million gallons in the BP oil spill off the Louisiana coast. The oil slick has now grown to at least 430 square kilometers (165 sq mi), forcing beaches and port facilities to close while government workers and local fishermen work to contain and clean up the spill. (29 photos total)

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/07/oil_spill_in_dalian_china.html

ChinaOilSpill.jpg

They need to get better people on public relations. The pictures are to graphic. They could hire people to look like they are cleaning up a nice beach area that worked for BP....

Perhaps we should put our own house in order first;

US law enforcement 'failing' on child prostitution

American law enforcement agencies are being accused of not doing enough to combat the problem of child prostitution.

The National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) in the United States estimates that between 100,000 and 300,000 American children are forced into prostitution every year - sometimes through being kidnapped near their homes.

Some are as young as 12 years old.

Asia was 17 when she was approached by a pimp in Wisconsin. She had run away from home after having problems with her family.

She said: "It was a very vulnerable time in my life and I didn't have any support.

"A pimp offered me a better life and I agreed. He posted me on the internet and men called me and I ended up selling my body and having sex for money."

The NCMEC, which focuses on finding missing children and educating the public on how to prevent child abduction and sex abuse, says many victims are runaways and homeless youths.

Others are just unlucky, grabbed off the streets by men in cars.

Asia soon realised that she had to escape after one of her clients held her hostage.

"He raped me," she said. "He made me record myself saying, 'I'm giving you permission to have sex with me'.

"He threatened to kill me, and he made me take a shower with him."

'Like commodities'

Ernie Allen, president of NCMEC, says this is an enormous problem that's not recognised enough and under-reported.

He said: "These kids are commodities for sale or trade. There is a network. They are trafficked, moved from city to city for the financial gain of those who use, abuse and control them."

Girl with head in hands Abused children are often moved around the United States

The FBI and the Department of Justice (DOJ) are working together with NCMEC to combat the problem.

The DOJ claims the average age at which girls first become victims of prostitution is 13.

One of the main criticisms of the law enforcement agencies involved is that they don't always act quickly enough when it comes to reporting missing children.

Mr Allen said: "Today we know that these waiting periods and the lack of a prompt response put many children at greater risk."

Bullying allegations

One victim told Newsbeat the police treated her badly when they arrested her in Washington DC.

"There were five cops, all pointing guns at me," she said. "It was some type of drug bust and they were calling me like 'whores' and that I was just a little prostitute.

"They just assumed I was doing this on my own free will."

It was some type of drug bust and they were calling me like 'whores' and that I was just a little prostitute.

Victim of child prostitution

Newsbeat put these allegations to the police. They told us they were committed to the issue but wouldn't respond to the specific accusations of bullying and harassment.

Andrea Powell is the founder of FAIR Fund, which works to prevent child sex trafficking in America and around the world.

She deals with thousands of young girls every year who have been sold for cash and agrees that the police need to do more.

She is also critical of their tactics when they arrest the girls: "It's not enough to give these girls a hot meal and a week's stay in a shelter.

"They need comprehensive support, so we need law enforcement to have the resources and training and compassion to be able to identify these kids as victims and not perpetrators."

'Sold' online

The internet has made business easier for pimps.

Instead of just parading kids on the streets they are also selling them online from the privacy of their homes. It's what happened to Asia.

Fair Fund and NCMEC want more stringent rules in place when it comes to US sites accepting adverts offering sexual services.

Asia's advice to anyone going through what she experienced is keep fighting.

"There is a way out," she said. "You have to find the courage within yourself because you're either going to end up in jail or dead."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/10896771

Perhaps we should put our own house in order first;

US law enforcement 'failing' on child prostitution

American law enforcement agencies are being accused of not doing enough to combat the problem of child prostitution.

The National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) in the United States estimates that between 100,000 and 300,000 American children are forced into prostitution every year - sometimes through being kidnapped near their homes.

Some are as young as 12 years old.

Asia was 17 when she was approached by a pimp in Wisconsin. She had run away from home after having problems with her family.

She said: "It was a very vulnerable time in my life and I didn't have any support.

"A pimp offered me a better life and I agreed. He posted me on the internet and men called me and I ended up selling my body and having sex for money."

The NCMEC, which focuses on finding missing children and educating the public on how to prevent child abduction and sex abuse, says many victims are runaways and homeless youths.

Others are just unlucky, grabbed off the streets by men in cars.

Asia soon realised that she had to escape after one of her clients held her hostage.

"He raped me," she said. "He made me record myself saying, 'I'm giving you permission to have sex with me'.

"He threatened to kill me, and he made me take a shower with him."

'Like commodities'

Ernie Allen, president of NCMEC, says this is an enormous problem that's not recognised enough and under-reported.

He said: "These kids are commodities for sale or trade. There is a network. They are trafficked, moved from city to city for the financial gain of those who use, abuse and control them."

Girl with head in hands Abused children are often moved around the United States

The FBI and the Department of Justice (DOJ) are working together with NCMEC to combat the problem.

The DOJ claims the average age at which girls first become victims of prostitution is 13.

One of the main criticisms of the law enforcement agencies involved is that they don't always act quickly enough when it comes to reporting missing children.

Mr Allen said: "Today we know that these waiting periods and the lack of a prompt response put many children at greater risk."

Bullying allegations

One victim told Newsbeat the police treated her badly when they arrested her in Washington DC.

"There were five cops, all pointing guns at me," she said. "It was some type of drug bust and they were calling me like 'whores' and that I was just a little prostitute.

"They just assumed I was doing this on my own free will."

It was some type of drug bust and they were calling me like 'whores' and that I was just a little prostitute.

Victim of child prostitution

Newsbeat put these allegations to the police. They told us they were committed to the issue but wouldn't respond to the specific accusations of bullying and harassment.

Andrea Powell is the founder of FAIR Fund, which works to prevent child sex trafficking in America and around the world.

She deals with thousands of young girls every year who have been sold for cash and agrees that the police need to do more.

She is also critical of their tactics when they arrest the girls: "It's not enough to give these girls a hot meal and a week's stay in a shelter.

"They need comprehensive support, so we need law enforcement to have the resources and training and compassion to be able to identify these kids as victims and not perpetrators."

'Sold' online

The internet has made business easier for pimps.

Instead of just parading kids on the streets they are also selling them online from the privacy of their homes. It's what happened to Asia.

Fair Fund and NCMEC want more stringent rules in place when it comes to US sites accepting adverts offering sexual services.

Asia's advice to anyone going through what she experienced is keep fighting.

"There is a way out," she said. "You have to find the courage within yourself because you're either going to end up in jail or dead."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/10896771

As you stated in an earlier post, the location is not that important, it is just as bad no matter where it happens.

Agree totally. My point here was that we should wipe the practice out worldwide, but that perhaps by eradicating these problems in our own countries, we can then move on and eradicate it elsewhere.

Although the news article was regarding the US, it happens here too. I shadowed a guy from Barnardos who worked with child prostitutes in Hull for a few days; we watched a 13 year old girl pimp her 10 year old sister to some sleazy **** in a car.

Once the Police had grabbed the bastard, the Barnardos worker took the girls home. Apparently the 13 year old had been told she was too old now.

Agree totally. My point here was that we should wipe the practice out worldwide, but that perhaps by eradicating these problems in our own countries, we can then move on and eradicate it elsewhere.

Although the news article was regarding the US, it happens here too. I shadowed a guy from Barnardos who worked with child prostitutes in Hull for a few days; we watched a 13 year old girl pimp her 10 year old sister to some sleazy f*ck in a car.

Once the Police had grabbed the bastard, the Barnardos worker took the girls home. Apparently the 13 year old had been told she was too old now.

thanks, Iain for re-expanding your point-

( it first struck me a bit myopic :wink: ,,,we are not paragons of virtues, )

And focusing mostly "our own houses" would probably yield more significant results ----since it is hard getting arse moving most of the time too.

Now all that being said when the actions are taken to another magnitude say Bosnia or Rwanda, I do think we ought to consider what actions are need across boarders

(without becoming another George W Bush) :twisted:

Although the news article was regarding the US, it happens here too. I shadowed a guy from Barnardos who worked with child prostitutes in Hull for a few days; we watched a 13 year old girl pimp her 10 year old sister to some sleazy f*ck in a car.

Surely by countries NOT endorsing the practice is the start required.

When it's legal, it becomes quite easy to do. When it is a sign of social stature, the thinking behind it MUST be removed.

When it's legal, it becomes quite easy to do. When it is a sign of social stature, the thinking behind it MUST be removed.

In the short term we are not going to change the thinking of these Islamic nutjob paedos. Unfortunately, that, at best, will take years of diplomatic and economic pressure to ensure laws are changed (if we can).

It's NOT legal in the US, UK, Europe etc etc, so lets crack down on the abusers here while at the same time campaigning for the laws elsewhere to be changed.

Thailand has come a long way in the last 20 years, and other SE Asian countries are (slowly) following suit. The Thais have had a lot of training from and cooperation with UK police forces, and the changing of laws to allow prosecution in your home country if identified abusing a child abroad is a huge step forward.

The argument that Mohammed consummated his marriage when his wife was 9 is a ******* cop out. Marriage and sex at younger ages was common in 1-2000 years ago, but that was then and this is now. Sex with a child is an abomination and don't use your ******* religion to excuse it.

In the short term we are not going to change the thinking of these Islamic nutjob paedos. Unfortunately, that, at best, will take years of diplomatic and economic pressure to ensure laws are changed (if we can).

It's NOT legal in the US, UK, Europe etc etc, so lets crack down on the abusers here while at the same time campaigning for the laws elsewhere to be changed.

Thailand has come a long way in the last 20 years, and other SE Asian countries are (slowly) following suit. The Thais have had a lot of training from and cooperation with UK police forces, and the changing of laws to allow prosecution in your home country if identified abusing a child abroad is a huge step forward.

The argument that Mohammed consummated his marriage when his wife was 9 is a f*cking cop out. Marriage and sex at younger ages was common in 1-2000 years ago, but that was then and this is now. Sex with a child is an abomination and don't use your f*cking religion to excuse it.

I agree fully, pity many DO use their religion as a means to justify legal paedophillia, Malysia and Saudi just for starters, tribal Pakistan, Afgans and some others with a certain something in common.

Using kids as hookers is horrific, ALLOWING them to be married off at 10 to 40 year old blokes is something else.

http://climateprogress.org/2010/08/09/russia-heat-wave-one-thousand-years-global-warming/

Over 15,000 likely dead in Russia, 17 nations comprising 19% of Earth's total land area set extreme heat records this year, July was "sixth straight record warm month in the tropical Atlantic"

Russsianheatwaves2003-2010.png

Ria Novisti reports:

Russia has recently seen the longest unprecedented heat wave for at least one thousand years, the head of the Russian Meteorological Center said on Monday….

“We have an ‘archive’ of abnormal weather situations stretching over a thousand years. It is possible to say there was nothing similar to this on the territory of Russia during the last one thousand years in regard to the heat,†Alexander Frolov said.

He said scientists received information on ancient weather conditions by exploring lake deposits.

Frolov also said Russia’s grain crop may decrease by at least 30% compared to last year.

The most expensive flat in the world is on the verge of being sold - for £140m.

15681077.jpg

The property, part of a development by brothers Christian and Nick Candy, is in Knightsbridge - one of the smartest parts of London.

At a cost of more than £6,000 per square foot, the two-floor apartment is within walking distance of Harrods and Harvey Nichols.

It also has a tunnel connecting to the neighbouring Mandarin Oriental Hotel - where top chef Heston Blumenthal is soon to open a restaurant.

The four-bedroom apartment has floor-to-ceiling windows, its own car park and access to all the leisure facilities that a discerning buyer would expect, like health spas and squash courts.

15681079.jpg

The nationality of the buyer is not known but, inevitably, there is mention of a Russian oligarch or an Arab billionaire.

While most of the block has been sold, 35% of properties are still waiting for new owners.

The Candy brothers bought the office block site for £150m in 2004.

They hit the headlines recently because of their legal action against the Qatari ruling family, the al Thanis, and their plans to develop Chelsea Barracks.

The legal action was brought - and subsequently settled - after the Qatari group was persuaded by the Prince of Wales to ditch its redevelopment.

140,000,000?? Sheesh, thats more than I earn in a month. lol

The most expensive flat in the world is on the verge of being sold - for £140m.

15681077.jpg

The property, part of a development by brothers Christian and Nick Candy, is in Knightsbridge - one of the smartest parts of London.

At a cost of more than £6,000 per square foot, the two-floor apartment is within walking distance of Harrods and Harvey Nichols.

It also has a tunnel connecting to the neighbouring Mandarin Oriental Hotel - where top chef Heston Blumenthal is soon to open a restaurant.

The four-bedroom apartment has floor-to-ceiling windows, its own car park and access to all the leisure facilities that a discerning buyer would expect, like health spas and squash courts.

15681079.jpg

The nationality of the buyer is not known but, inevitably, there is mention of a Russian oligarch or an Arab billionaire.

While most of the block has been sold, 35% of properties are still waiting for new owners.

The Candy brothers bought the office block site for £150m in 2004.

They hit the headlines recently because of their legal action against the Qatari ruling family, the al Thanis, and their plans to develop Chelsea Barracks.

The legal action was brought - and subsequently settled - after the Qatari group was persuaded by the Prince of Wales to ditch its redevelopment.

140,000,000?? Sheesh, thats more than I earn in a month. lol

I wonder what the "Council Tax will be".