WTF?--- News hot off the press that makes you say--- WTF?

GoodKarma

Pearls before swine... :roll:

just a bit tired, at least I'm able to see past playing wack a mole with mosques...

Opinions and sentiments have nothing to do with intellect.

It's empathy. I can empathise with the way these people feel.

It doesn't have a bearing on my ridiculously high IQ.

I think if I was a Muslim, I would understand too. My ex-wife was Muslim and she would have thought the same.

I just read a poll (see?) that said 63% of New Yorkers were against the construction of Park51 (the new name). That's a pretty big margin.

On the alteration of the constitution, remind me how many amendments there are already.... (27?)

The constitution is amended to fit modern day life and for the benefit of its citizens. Life in US changed on 9/11. The attack struck the very heart of Americans - whatever their race or creed. To ignore their feelings on this is both insensitive and inflammatory.

Furthermore, President Obama (for whom I have a lot of respect) has failed to address the Bill that would provide compensation for those emergency workers injured and sickened by working to save people that day...

No matter how you cut it, that is bound to offend people.

People (and I think especially New Yorkers) have an affinity to their city. I think they love it and felt wounded when it was attacked.

English Bob wrote

Furthermore, President Obama (for whom I have a lot of respect) has failed to address the Bill that would provide compensation for those emergency workers injured and sickened by working to save people that day...

Thats what people should be protesting. There should be thousands marching on the white house about the first responders and their health issue. Obama has his plate full. The mosque issue is just fodder for a political agenda. The way they spin the story anyone would feel some sympathy. The republicans have come up with one line of bullshit after another. Watch any Jon Stewart episode to see fox news telling some whoppers. No one is barking about the actual mosque down the street. The new building is a basketball court with a prayer room on the 6th floor but with all the misinfo in place its been spun for political gain. And its not in view of the twin towers. As has been said how far is ok. How about the actual mosques being protested in Tennessee or Michigan, California etc. These people are being used as 911 was used to invade Iraq. It is now being used for politics. High IQ is not in the picture. If I had a relative die in the twin towers attack I would be royally pissed off that it is used like it has been to manipulate people for someones agenda. Muslims aren't the enemy Haliburton and Monsantos BIg Oil etc are everyones enemy.

I think Poles are much more accurate then polls sheeezes who listens to polls ?

Thats what people should be protesting. There should be thousands marching on the white house about the first responders and their health issue. Obama has his plate full. The mosque issue is just fodder for a political agenda. The way they spin the story anyone would feel some sympathy. The republicans have come up with one line of bullshit after another. Watch any Jon Stewart episode to see fox news telling some whoppers. No one is barking about the actual mosque down the street. The new building is a basketball court with a prayer room on the 6th floor but with all the misinfo in place its been spun for political gain. And its not in view of the twin towers. As has been said how far is ok. How about the actual mosques being protested in Tennessee or Michigan, California etc. These people are being used as 911 was used to invade Iraq. It is now being used for politics. High IQ is not in the picture. If I had a relative die in the twin towers attack I would be royally pissed off that it is used like it has been to manipulate people for someones agenda. Muslims aren't the enemy Haliburton and Monsantos BIg Oil etc are everyones enemy.

1) People protest about what they feel strongly about. If you don't feel strongly, don't protest. But don't belittle others for the way they feel.

2) 'Spin' is just a matter of perspectives. The way YOU look at the issue would be considered lefty, liberal spin.... but it's just your perspective.

3) The way you would feel if a relative died is unimportant. The people whose feelings really matter are those who DID have family killed (not died) in 9/11 by Muslims.... in the name of Islam.

4) Who listens to polls? Everyone. Especially decision makers and politicians.

Is it 'a few'?

Seems like quite a proportion of New Yorkers have strong feelings about this case. In that case, they should have a say... Maybe a referendum.

Dave it is the US Constitution --- the first Amendment (of ten referred to as the Bill of Rights!) --- Religious Freedom ---

non-nonnegotiable AND in the lore of settling the USA why the first people sailed here (from England) ... and many other groups... before the colonies became a commercial concern...

It is not a great selection as to its proximity ... and a better site location further away would have been wise IMO

but it is not at the Trade Center Site -- 2 blocks away

How far is ....far enough??? And by the way there has been a real Mosque FIVE blocks away that predates the 9/11 attack.

--- though it is to be 13 stories high it is drafted by so many higher buildings that it will not be seen from the Trade Center site....

AGAIn... it is private property ...thankfully anyone has the right to practice their religion here without asking the CITY and though it will have some kind of prayer Room in it ...it is not a Mosque...It is a community center akin to a YMCA

(Young Men's Christian Association)...

Strong feelings ---yes ...all across the country and now it is a pissing contest around the world... Anti-muslim vs radical muslim ... (everyone thinking it is a case of "planting THE flag" or some symbolic victory) people with a brain should not buy into this kind of simplistic jingoism ..

Poor judgement but Americans should tolerate it...

BTW ---on the motorcycle / headscarf issue...you are absolutely right

Religious freedom is excellent. Nobody is trying to say they can't practice religion. People are saying they want that area to have no mosque as, many have stated, they feel it is too symbolic of the ideology which lay path to the attacks.

The local church has been shelved too. It's not like anyone is picking on them.

The people have spoken in large numbers, they should be heard.

You stated 'anti-muslim vs radical muuslim. This isn't about the people who worship. It's the ideology they are following. It sticks.

Cordoba WASN'T chosen as the name of the project by accident. You are naive to think so. the link is there. Some of my mates from when I lived in Saudi even said to me 'this is no accident' and they kinda know thier history in Islam.

If they church gets penned, so does the mosque.

Also, the Corboba Project is planned to but a huge Islamic centre, like in NYC, in every major city around the world. It is part of its mission statement. Also to sell the idea as a franchise f0or profit and of course spread islamic teaching.

I have done my homework on this.

If cordoba is done in every major city around the world... That would be an awesome stealth jihad..... which is exactly the idea.

YMCA bollocks. the YMCA weren't linked to muliple terrorist attacks. Cordoba is linked to terrorist orgs, funding terrorism and spreading Whabbieism.

Even linked to funding the attacks right here is Thailand.

Just an interesting little bit of trivia on this issue. The leader of this mosque, I'm not sure what they are called, has been an advisor, and representative, to the middle east under both the Bush administration, and the Obama administration, after 911. And he still works for the Obama administration, having just returned from the middle east. This is one of the least radical of muslum leaders, and has on countless times denounced radical muslum actions.

There are 4 other mosques within a 10 block radius of ground zero, that were there before 911.

A major reason for the founding of this country, and the exodus of the original founders from Europe, was for religious freedom. There are still people coming to this country for that very reason.

With the wide diversity of ethnicities, and religions, in NY it amazes me that so much hatred would be directed at one of the very reasons this country was founded, the freedom of religion.

1) People protest about what they feel strongly about. If you don't feel strongly, don't protest. But don't belittle others for the way they feel.

2) 'Spin' is just a matter of perspectives. The way YOU look at the issue would be considered lefty, liberal spin.... but it's just your perspective.

3) The way you would feel if a relative died is unimportant. The people whose feelings really matter are those who DID have family killed (not died) in 9/11 by Muslims.... in the name of Islam.

4) Who listens to polls? Everyone. Especially decision makers and politicians.

I'll belittle them for being the pawns they are. Yea its my opinion and I've had lots of yours, sheeeezes

Just an interesting little bit of trivia on this issue. The leader of this mosque, I'm not sure what they are called, has been an advisor, and representative, to the middle east under both the Bush administration, and the Obama administration, after 911. And he still works for the Obama administration, having just returned from the middle east. This is one of the least radical of muslum leaders, and has on countless times denounced radical muslum actions.

There are 4 other mosques within a 10 block radius of ground zero, that were there before 911.

A major reason for the founding of this country, and the exodus of the original founders from Europe, was for religious freedom. There are still people coming to this country for that very reason.

With the wide diversity of ethnicities, and religions, in NY it amazes me that so much hatred would be directed at one of the very reasons this country was founded, the freedom of religion.

Easy to hate if someone tells you what you need to hear. The new Nazis movement is born :twisted:

Danish Volunteers Build Manned Spacecraft

A team of Danish volunteers has built a rocket capable of carrying a human into space, and will be launching it in a week’s time. The project, which has been funded entirely by donations and sponsorship, is led by Kristian von Bengtson and Peter Madsen.

The rocket is named HEAT1X-TYCHO BRAHE, and its first test flight will carry a crash test dummy, rather than a human, so that the safety aspects of the design can be analysed. It’ll launch from a floating platform that the team has also built, which will be towed into the middle of the Baltic sea by a submarine called Nautilus that the pair built as their last project.

The creators are members of the SomethingAwful web community, and have been posting pictures and answering questions there. In response to one question asking what the chances of the person inside dying are, they replied: “Unlike Columbia we’re not moving at orbital speeds so ‘dying a gruesome death burning up on re-entry’ with our kit has a very low outcome probability.â€

Despite that, the rocket will still break the sound barrier, and subject the pilot (who is forced to stand inside the capsule) to considerable g-forces. As a result, the astronaut will only be able to move his arms, which will be able to operate a camera, the manual override functionality, the exit hatch, an additional oxygen mask and a vomit bag.

When the rocket hits the team’s original target suborbital altitude of 150,000m (500,000 feet) and begins to descend again, parachutes will slow it and the team will track it with a GPS link and a “fast boatâ€. The team said: “We should be able to receive a descent plot which can be used in projecting a splashdown ellipse pretty accurately, if we factor in wind speeds and so on.â€

The first test launch will be taking place on 31 August, 2010, and will set off from Denmark the previous day, as it takes about 36 hours of sailing to reach the site. The team’s website is down at the time of writing, presumably due to the attention the launch is generating, but can be found at copenhagensuborbitals.com.

If successful, Denmark will be the fourth country to put one of its citizens into space, following the USA, Soviet Union and China, and the first in the world to do it without government funding.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/08/danish-rocket/

:shock:

Danish Volunteers Build Manned Spacecraft

A team of Danish volunteers has built a rocket capable of carrying a human into space, and will be launching it in a week’s time. The project, which has been funded entirely by donations and sponsorship, is led by Kristian von Bengtson and Peter Madsen.

The rocket is named HEAT1X-TYCHO BRAHE, and its first test flight will carry a crash test dummy, rather than a human, so that the safety aspects of the design can be analysed. It’ll launch from a floating platform that the team has also built, which will be towed into the middle of the Baltic sea by a submarine called Nautilus that the pair built as their last project.

The creators are members of the SomethingAwful web community, and have been posting pictures and answering questions there. In response to one question asking what the chances of the person inside dying are, they replied: “Unlike Columbia we’re not moving at orbital speeds so ‘dying a gruesome death burning up on re-entry’ with our kit has a very low outcome probability.â€

Despite that, the rocket will still break the sound barrier, and subject the pilot (who is forced to stand inside the capsule) to considerable g-forces. As a result, the astronaut will only be able to move his arms, which will be able to operate a camera, the manual override functionality, the exit hatch, an additional oxygen mask and a vomit bag.

When the rocket hits the team’s original target suborbital altitude of 150,000m (500,000 feet) and begins to descend again, parachutes will slow it and the team will track it with a GPS link and a “fast boatâ€. The team said: “We should be able to receive a descent plot which can be used in projecting a splashdown ellipse pretty accurately, if we factor in wind speeds and so on.â€

The first test launch will be taking place on 31 August, 2010, and will set off from Denmark the previous day, as it takes about 36 hours of sailing to reach the site. The team’s website is down at the time of writing, presumably due to the attention the launch is generating, but can be found at copenhagensuborbitals.com.

If successful, Denmark will be the fourth country to put one of its citizens into space, following the USA, Soviet Union and China, and the first in the world to do it without government funding.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/08/danish-rocket/

:shock:

I can think of a number of people that I would like to nominate for that first trip. :D

Thai misunderstanders of the religion of peace, bless em.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/08/thailand-jihad-against-ex-politicians-village-chiefs-married-couples-and-construction-workers.html#comments

Thailand: Jihad against ex-politicians, village chiefs, married couples, and construction workers

"Unrest ... caused by Muslim rebels seeking secession from predominantly Buddhist Thailand."

And what would happen if the proverbial Coyote ever caught the Roadrunner? Would there be peace, and would life then go on? It's much more likely the "rebels" seeking their own country to run would proceed to turn violently on one another over the implementation of Islamic law and the consequent legitimacy of any government.

This conflict is underway in Afghanistan, it is in somewhat early stages Bosnia as Saudi-inspired jihadists gain strength and support, and it has been raging in Somalia for years. Funny how that keeps happening. "Two killed, five wounded in Thai south unrest," from Reuters, August 23 (thanks to Sr. Soph):

YALA, Thailand - Suspected Muslim insurgents shot dead two people and wounded five others in three separate attacks in the space of one day in Thailand's restive south, police said on Monday.

The incidents all took place between Sunday night and Monday morning in Pattani, one of three provinces plagued by six years of bloody unrest, believed to be caused by Muslim rebels seeking secession from predominantly Buddhist Thailand.

A Muslim man, formerly a local politician, was shot dead and a village chief wounded when unknown gunmen opened fire as they drove a pickup truck to morning prayers on Monday, police said.

In another attack on Monday, a Buddhist couple were shot and wounded on their way to work at a construction site.

The previous night, a Muslim village official was shot dead in front of a school by mystery assailants, police Lietenant Mana Naktang said. Two bystanders were also wounded.

More than 4,000 people have been killed since a decades-old rebellion resurfaced in 2004 in the mainly Muslim provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat, which border Malaysia.

No group has claimed responsibility for the violence, for which there has so far been no known evidence of links to foreign militant networks.

Except ideology.

The attacks have ranged from drive-by shootings and sabotage to bombings and beheadings. Targets are usually Buddhists and Muslims associated with the Thai state, such as police, soldiers, government officials and teachers.

http://www.mysinchew.com/node/38332

Malaysia launches pink women-only train coaches

Religion in the news News 2010-04-28 14:16

KUALA LUMPUR, April 28 (AFP) - Malaysia has launched pink women-only train coaches to prevent sexual harassment and to give Muslim women the option of travelling separately from men, officials said Wednesday.

Malaysian Railway offers the special service on a route between Kuala Lumpur and the western port city of Klang, and plans to expand it to another route in two weeks' time, acting general manager Mohamad Hider Yusof told AFP.

"We can improve the comfort and the safety of female passengers with this implementation and at the same time prevent sexual harassment," he added.

"We are a multiracial nation and the majority of the population are Muslims, so this initiative is also giving Muslim women an option to be separated from men while travelling."

"This is not a mandatory policy as women are still allowed to travel in the other coaches," he said, adding that reported sexual harassment cases on the train service was minimal.

More than 60 percent of Malaysia's 28 million population are Muslim Malays, and the population includes large ethnic Chinese and Indian minorities.

A northern state ruled by Malaysia's conservative Islamic party PAS has made headlines in the past with laws that require separate queues for men and women in shops, but the rules are not strictly enforced.

State authorities have also imposed fines on skimpy clothing, and discouraged women from wearing heavy make-up as well as high heels.

KUALA LUMPUR, April 28 (AFP) - Malaysia has launched pink women-only train coaches to prevent sexual harassment and to give Muslim women the option of travelling separately from men, officials said Wednesday.

Malaysian Railway offers the special service on a route between Kuala Lumpur and the western port city of Klang, and plans to expand it to another route in two weeks' time, acting general manager Mohamad Hider Yusof told AFP.

"We can improve the comfort and the safety of female passengers with this implementation and at the same time prevent sexual harassment," he added.

"We are a multiracial nation and the majority of the population are Muslims, so this initiative is also giving Muslim women an option to be separated from men while travelling."

"This is not a mandatory policy as women are still allowed to travel in the other coaches," he said, adding that reported sexual harassment cases on the train service was minimal.

More than 60 percent of Malaysia's 28 million population are Muslim Malays, and the population includes large ethnic Chinese and Indian minorities.

A northern state ruled by Malaysia's conservative Islamic party PAS has made headlines in the past with laws that require separate queues for men and women in shops, but the rules are not strictly enforced.

State authorities have also imposed fines on skimpy clothing, and discouraged women from wearing heavy make-up as well as high heels.

It looks like a good idea. Hell Japanese women could do with it...... Then the final sentence. Fines imposed for skimpy clothing, high heels and make up are also gonna get hit.

Just for a second, imagine that law in place in BKK. Especially the clothes and heels :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Truly Malaysia.

It looks like a good idea. Hell Japanese women could do with it...... Then the final sentence. Fines imposed for skimpy clothing, high heels and make up are also gonna get hit.

Just for a second, imagine that law in place in BKK. Especially the clothes and heels :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Actually, Bkk used to have 'ladies bus' years ago

And your point is what???? I said the separate carriage is a good idea and even highlighted the plight of Japanese women too.

But, if the fines were imposed in BKK about 80% of 16 to 46 year olds would be hit, could probably pay off the national debt, but wait the boys in brown would just allow you to pay a small on the spot fine for their tea money, but even if it were only 30 baht a chick, they would rake in thousands per police man per day

And your point is what???? I said the separate carriage is a good idea and even highlighted the plight of Japanese women too.

But, if the fines were imposed in BKK about 80% of 16 to 46 year olds would be hit, could probably pay off the national debt, but wait the boys in brown would just allow you to pay a small on the spot fine for their tea money, but even if it were only 30 baht a chick, they would rake in thousands per police man per day

Dr Low...

Actually I think her point was simply that the Bkk use to have a similar service...( you additional point not withstanding) --wot ya grumpy about?...that time of the month :P

??now when will we get the Male only spaces

--ah ! for a peaceful oasis :lol: :wink:

Dr Low...

Actually I think her point was simply that the Bkk use to have a similar service...( you additional point not withstanding) --wot ya grumpy about?...that time of the month :P

Yeah, I had a pmt-esque moment then. Needed to unload.

Additionally, if you travel by train in Colombo rush hour, it depressingly resembles such spaces. Only a lot of these guys reeked.

Anyway, yes, ladies carriages, I agree, maybe we should have them back for a trial period. BTS travel could be chaotic. Cheers Ms Kus.

Dr Low...

Additionally, if you travel by train in Colombo rush hour, it depressingly resembles such spaces. Only a lot of these guys reeked.

Anyway, yes, ladies carriages, I agree, maybe we should have them back for a trial period. BTS travel could be chaotic. Cheers Ms Kus.

Cheers Mr. Lowlove, Thanks to Danno. My point was just for your info. But please stay away from my boys in brown. I love them.

Dr Low...

Cheers Mr. Lowlove, Thanks to Danno. My point was just for your info. But please stay away from my boys in brown. I love them.

hummm... I thought your color was pink ms. Kus !! ??? :lol::lol:

and hope you are smelling something sweet ---> soon Docktor! :wink: :wink:

Dr Low...

as long as they get their tea money i love em to

as long as they get their tea money i love em to

Dr. lowIlove, STOP giving tea money to my boyz ! You are spoiling them, let them grow up being a man. :evil:

Tiger cub found among stuffed toys in Bangkok luggage

_48886003_img_4136.jpg

Investigations are under way to determine if the tiger cub was wild or captive-bred

A two-month-old tiger cub has been found sedated and hidden among stuffed toy tigers in a woman's luggage at Bangkok's airport, the wildlife trade monitoring network Traffic has said.

The Thai national was trying to board a flight to Iran but had difficulty with a large bag at check-in.

X-rays aroused suspicions among airport staff who believed they had seen an image resembling a real animal.

Wildlife officers were then called in and discovered the tranquilised cub.

"If people are trying to smuggle live Tigers in their check-in luggage, they obviously think wildlife smuggling is something easy to get away with and do not fear reprimandâ€

Authorities are trying to determine if the cat is wild or captive-bred.

Chris Shepherd, South-East Asia deputy regional director for Traffic, said: "We applaud all the agencies that came together to uncover this brazen smuggling attempt."

But he also called for regular monitoring and harsher penalties.

"If people are trying to smuggle live tigers in their check-in luggage, they obviously think wildlife smuggling is something easy to get away with and do not fear reprimand," he said.

"Only sustained pressure on wildlife traffickers and serious penalties can change that."