WTF?--- News hot off the press that makes you say--- WTF?

GoodKarma

Glenn Beck rally causes a stir.

Washington (CNN) -- The planned large rally by Fox News Channel and radio talk show host Glenn Beck on Saturday on the National Mall is causing controversy because of its location and timing.

Now that IS interesting, given the recent controversy in New York about the non-mosque building.

Let's see how this plays out.

I will follow that closely

Obviously Racist and Islamophobic judges show their hated of the way of peace.

They are obviously sooooooo Islamophobic:

By the way. He just got busted for a bomb plot. I like the ending sentence, a possible explanation of how this poor sole got taken in by such lies.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/08/interests-hockey-music-acting-and-killing-infidels----canadian-idol-contestant-arrested-for-jihad-pl.html

Maybe losing Canadian Idol drove him to seek revenge upon the kuffar. "Third terror suspect was 'Canadian Idol' contestant," by Michelle Shephard and Richard J. Brennan for the Toronto Star, August 26 (thanks to Dave):

OTTAWA--A third terrorism suspect- one who moonwalked across a Montreal stage during an audition for Canadian Idol - was detained early Thursday, the Star has learned.

Khuram Sher was arrested as part of an RCMP national security investigation, as police continue to investigate a possible cell allegedly plotting to attack targets at home.

Sher told judges on the popular reality show in 2008 that he hailed from Pakistan and was a fan of "hockey, music and acting."

He sings an off-tune rendition of Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" with - as the show's website describes - some "nifty" dance moves.

"Have you ever thought of being a comedian?" asks one of the judges of the 26-year-old.

Another remarks: "The dance moves were good, the singing, bad."

One source close to the investigation said Sher was actually a Canadian-born physician and graduate of McGill University - quite a different persona from goofy contestant wearing a traditional Pakistani shalwar kameez and pakul hat as he performs robot dance moves and a Michael Jackson moonwalk....

A physician. No doubt driven to jihad terrorism by his desperate poverty.

Instead of piling on the evidence of your Muslim uprising theory why don't you go down to your local mosque and talk to some real muslims about it. I have some muslim friends and I think you might be surprised. Muslim terrorists are no more the soul of Islam anymore then abortion clinic bombers are of christianity.

Dude. I was living in Pakistan at the time of 9/11. I have also done 2 and a half years in Saudi Arabia and short contracts in Afghanistan and Kurdistan. I have read the Quran (but not the bible) from cover to cover. Not many kuffar have bothered to do that.

I have been to Mosques. It is you. not I, who needs to learn. I was born and raised in the majority Muslim district of Handsworth in England.

You appear to have NOT lived in such places and have maybe seldom have left the USA. Not a bad thing, but don't tell me about going to a f*cking Mosque for understanding. Why don't you go and live in Saudi or the Pak, where this extreme poison comes from. Be there during terrorist attacks, then come back with an educated response.

You could always just lock this thread too, once you feel you have sufficiently lost the argument again as you did before.

Peace, especially to birds of prey

So now maybe you should come the the US and talk to some US muslims as you don't have a clue how they feel. You haven't won anything but the right to call yourself a jihadist as your spreading their words and fear which is what they do. Peace to everyone and your not going to get that spreading the words of assh*oles sheeezes

By the way. He just got busted for a bomb plot. I like the ending sentence, a possible explanation of how this poor sole got taken in by such lies.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/08/interests-hockey-music-acting-and-killing-infidels----canadian-idol-contestant-arrested-for-jihad-pl.html

Maybe losing Canadian Idol drove him to seek revenge upon the kuffar. "Third terror suspect was 'Canadian Idol' contestant," by Michelle Shephard and Richard J. Brennan for the Toronto Star, August 26 (thanks to Dave):

OTTAWA--A third terrorism suspect- one who moonwalked across a Montreal stage during an audition for Canadian Idol - was detained early Thursday, the Star has learned.

Khuram Sher was arrested as part of an RCMP national security investigation, as police continue to investigate a possible cell allegedly plotting to attack targets at home.

Sher told judges on the popular reality show in 2008 that he hailed from Pakistan and was a fan of "hockey, music and acting."

He sings an off-tune rendition of Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" with - as the show's website describes - some "nifty" dance moves.

"Have you ever thought of being a comedian?" asks one of the judges of the 26-year-old.

One source close to the investigation said Sher was actually a Canadian-born physician and graduate of McGill University - quite a different persona from goofy contestant wearing a traditional Pakistani shalwar kameez and pakul hat as he performs robot dance moves and a Michael Jackson moonwalk....

Instead of piling on the evidence of your Muslim uprising theory why don't you go down to your local mosque and talk to some real muslims about it. I have some muslim friends and I think you might be surprised. Muslim terrorists are no more the soul of Islam anymore then abortion clinic bombers are of christianity.

Abortion clinics!!!! Give me strength.

Slight difference to going to get an abortion because you WANT to and being blown up at a cafe because someone you have never met doesn't agree with another person and does believe in the great big book of peace.

Wake up, you sound uneducated

The abortion clinic bombers are pumped up by some pastor in a church and the suicide bombers are pumped up by the muslim terrorist leaders. Bible or Koran their are religious fanatics behind it. You think your educated but your just thinking your smarter then everyone else. IN the US we have enough people going off from highschool kids with M16s to postal workers to college kids killing a few to 10 or more in a suicide mission from their own delusion. With the Muslim terrorists they are lead there by someone else.

I don't think you ringing the alarm bells is going to do anything to help except get a few christian fundamentalists fired up. Peace is not going to be achieved by your spreading the word nor by the US invading Iraq. All that did was aid the terrorists imo. But the US government isn't working towards peace they are working towards control of regions and resources and soon imo food and water. When the glaciers melt and the rivers of India and China run low along with the weather patterns changing man will have his hands full and don't forget food for the growing populations.

And in light of that I feel your the uneducated one who is ringing the alarm about the wrong crisis. Your just helping spread the fear which is what terrorism is.

I would add I don't really disagree when the US says we need to do something about terrorists. I don't think they are doing that but instead it is giving them a reason to pursue their agenda of occupation.

Spelling doesn't give anymore weight to your arguments nor does saying sensitivity over and over again make it so. You don't think anything is coherent beyond your own opinion. The Mayor of NYC is for the right to build the Mosgue and I think he has a grasp of how new yorkers feel which is important while your mocking a misspelled word is not :wink:

Dude. I was living in Pakistan at the time of 9/11. I have also done 2 and a half years in Saudi Arabia and short contracts in Afghanistan and Kurdistan. I have read the Quran (but not the bible) from cover to cover. Not many kuffar have bothered to do that.

I have been to Mosques. It is you. not I, who needs to learn. I was born and raised in the majority Muslim district of Handsworth in England.

You appear to have NOT lived in such places and have maybe seldom have left the USA. Not a bad thing, but don't tell me about going to a f*cking Mosque for understanding. Why don't you go and live in Saudi or the Pak, where this extreme poison comes from. Be there during terrorist attacks, then come back with an educated response.

You could always just lock this thread too, once you feel you have sufficiently lost the argument again as you did before.

Peace, especially to birds of prey

So now maybe you should come the the US and talk to some US muslims as you don't have a clue how they feel. You haven't won anything but the right to call yourself a jihadist as your spreading their words and fear which is what they do. Peace to everyone and your not going to get that spreading the words of assh*oles sheeezes

Just get it over with. Insult me, run away then lock the thread.

Spelling doesn't give anymore weight to your arguments nor does saying sensitivity over and over again make it so. You don't think anything is coherent beyond your own opinion. The Mayor of NYC is for the right to build the Mosgue and I think he has a grasp of how new yorkers feel which is important while your mocking a misspelled word is not :wink:

So now you support a gov official because it fits your piss weak argument.

And you are last person to pull someone up for mocking people.

So now you support a gov official because it fits your piss weak argument.

And you are last person to pull someone up for mocking people.

You don't hear anyone but yourself. Your pissed would explain a lot.

I'm done here , sound off but leave the muslims of the world out of your rhetoric.

Totally ignoring the facts.

This issue isn't about terrorism per se.

It's about respect and sensitivity - both of which you seem to be lacking..... Along with common sense, coherent arguments and basic spelling.

There are just as many families that lost friends, and family members, that support the building of this community center as there are opposing it, so explain to me how they fit into your insensitivity issue.

Oh, but you have a percentage number that says the people oppose it...lolol. What people? The same people that say they have a right to build a mosque?

This is about terrorism, as most everyone that is against this believes that it will be a breeding ground for terrorists. There are a few that use the insensitivity issue, but that isn't even a uniform feeling by those who actually lost friends, and family members.

This is all about politics, in an election year. There are those that have no concern what-so-ever on the basic principals this country was formed, and build on, that being freedom. That hasn't changed because these rules of freedom were written 200+ years ago. They are still what this country stands on as the basic foundation for the longest lasting form of government in the history of mankind, lasting now longer than the Roman empire. And these basic principals aren't going to be threatened because some American wants to excercise their basic rights.

These rights don't change because some hate mongor thinks they should be only allowed selectively......lololol. These are rights guarenteed to every American, and they haven't changed in 200+ years, yet 28% of those poled don't even know this. That is sad, and a good example of what racism, and hate mongoring breed from, pure ignorance.

Freedom is what every terrorist fears. Then they have no leverage, and they loose. They do everything they can to stop freedom, from diatribes about how bad America is, to outright bombings, and murder, to those that oppose them.

You want to take away this freedom, then that puts you in the same frame of mind as them. Why would you use every effort you can to stop freedom? It's not about insensitivity, there are families that were directly involved that support this. It's not about this being a breeding ground for terrorists, the Imam that will be running this has been hired by both the Bush, and Obama administration to represent the American interests in the middle East. So what is it, it's outside what is considered sacred ground around ground zero?

Can you give an intellegent unbiased, nonracial answer? I don't think so.......lolol, or are you going to resort to syntax, and spelling errors as your defense....lolol

It's about respect and sensitivity - both of which you seem to be lacking..... Along with common sense, coherent arguments and basic spelling.

There are just as many families that lost friends, and family members, that support the building of this community center as there are opposing it, so explain to me how they fit into your insensitivity issue.

Oh, but you have a percentage number that says the people oppose it...lolol. What people? The same people that say they have a right to build a mosque?

This is about terrorism, as most everyone that is against this believes that it will be a breeding ground for terrorists. There are a few that use the insensitivity issue, but that isn't even a uniform feeling by those who actually lost friends, and family members.

This is all about politics, in an election year. There are those that have no concern what-so-ever on the basic principals this country was formed, and build on, that being freedom. That hasn't changed because these rules of freedom were written 200+ years ago. They are still what this country stands on as the basic foundation for the longest lasting form of government in the history of mankind, lasting now longer than the Roman empire. And these basic principals aren't going to be threatened because some American wants to excercise their basic rights.

These rights don't change because some hate mongor thinks they should be only allowed selectively......lololol. These are rights guarenteed to every American, and they haven't changed in 200+ years, yet 28% of those poled don't even know this. That is sad, and a good example of what racism, and hate mongoring breed from, pure ignorance.

Freedom is what every terrorist fears. Then they have no leverage, and they loose. They do everything they can to stop freedom, from diatribes about how bad America is, to outright bombings, and murder, to those that oppose them.

You want to take away this freedom, then that puts you in the same frame of mind as them. Why would you use every effort you can to stop freedom? It's not about insensitivity, there are families that were directly involved that support this. It's not about this being a breeding ground for terrorists, the Imam that will be running this has been hired by both the Bush, and Obama administration to represent the American interests in the middle East. So what is it, it's outside what is considered sacred ground around ground zero?

Can you give an intellegent unbiased, nonracial answer? I don't think so.......lolol, or are you going to resort to syntax, and spelling errors as your defense....lolol

well said....and well spelled :wink:

You state it is about terrorism. I don't think so, but it would be silly to ignore that some people will have terror on their minds. A site this close to where it all a happened is going to cause a stink. Just move it.

That would show real empathy.

Washington (CNN) -- The planned large rally by Fox News Channel and radio talk show host Glenn Beck on Saturday on the National Mall is causing controversy because of its location and timing.

Now that IS interesting, given the recent controversy in New York about the non-mosque building.

Now I resisted this for several days ..but since you are looking at Glen Beck with some real interest...

And since you guys (you and the Doc) missed out on Brother Glen's self-worship session...

Here's a guy you can really get behind :!:

...the date is 9/11 circle it on your calenders,

and you can sample American opinion first hand!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/ns/msnbc_tv-hardball_with_chris_matthews#38871893

This guy is in Florida (I'll try to find the exact location- maybe it is near another fantasyland ---AKA Disneyland)

--- I do apologize for the commercial lead-in (couldn't scrub it out) :(

Anyway here is a WTF of the first order!

See you guys in the Sunshine State!! :wink:

See you at Indian rocks

Now I resisted this for several days ..but since you are looking at Glen Beck with some real interest...

And since you guys (you and the Doc) missed out on Brother Glen's self-worship session...

Here's a guy you can really get behind :!:

and you can sample American opinion first hand!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/ns/msnbc_tv-hardball_with_chris_matthews#38871893

This guy is in Florida (I'll try to find the exact location- maybe it is near another fantasyland ---AKA Disneyland)

--- I do apologize for the commercial lead-in (couldn't scrub it out) :(

Anyway here is a WTF of the first order!

See you guys in the Sunshine State!! :wink:

I'll meet you in the main mall at Indian rocks

Ok, done. Now looking forward to the 9th November....

:roll:

:wink: actually I am too :roll: should be a very interesting election cycle

(not to mention the campaign rhetoric leading up to it)

as of now: Dems will lose control of the House

and be reduced to 53 seats in the Senate....

with all the noble and constructive ideas the Republicans have shown for ---oh let's say 3+ years... the new Congress should set a new high water mark for doing--------> NOTHING

which will be be seen as a positive to some :roll:

Repeatedly

the Republicans show they govern poorly

and the Democrats prove they cannot govern

Ok, done. Now looking forward to the 9th November....

:roll:

:wink: actually I am too :roll: should be a very interesting election cycle

(not to mention the campaign rhetoric leading up to it)

as of now: Dems will lose control of the House

and be reduced to 53 seats in the Senate....

with all the noble and constructive ideas the Republicans have shown for ---oh let's say 3+ years... the new Congress should set a new high water mark for doing--------> NOTHING

which will be be seen as a positive to some :roll:

Repeatedly

the Republicans show they govern poorly

and the Democrats prove they cannot govern

I lost interest (and the will to live) after 'actually'

:wink:

Ok, just saw on the news..

My sci-fi fiction book thingie will become real?

Personally think that it is quite sick..

Scientists aim for lab-grown meat

An international research team has proposed new techniques that may lead to the mass production of meat reared not on the farm, but in the laboratory.

Developments in tissue engineering mean that cells taken from animals could be grown directly into meat in a laboratory, the researchers say.

Scientists believe the technology already exists to directly grow processed meat like a chicken nugget.

The technology could benefit both humans and the environment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4148164.stm

Ok, just saw on the news..

My sci-fi fiction book thingie will become real?

Personally think that it is quite sick..

Scientists aim for lab-grown meat

An international research team has proposed new techniques that may lead to the mass production of meat reared not on the farm, but in the laboratory.

Developments in tissue engineering mean that cells taken from animals could be grown directly into meat in a laboratory, the researchers say.

Scientists believe the technology already exists to directly grow processed meat like a chicken nugget.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4148164.stm

But of course, not the companies selling it.

Man sued for drunkenly losing $1.35M painting, claims he misplaced masterpiece after too many drinks

alg_portrait_girl.jpg

"A Manhattan man is being sued for losing a $1.35 million painting.

He blames the booze - saying the Jean Baptiste Camille Corot masterpiece, "Portrait of a Girl," vanished following a bender at The Mark hotel.

The artwork's co-owner, Kristyn Trudgeon, isn't buying James Haggerty's tale.

"I think he's a complete fumbling idiot," a visibly annoyed Trudgeon said outside her West Side apartment. "He's just a complete a--hole."

Trudgeon and Tom Doyle, who co-own the painting, had hired Haggerty, an old pal, to assist with a possible sale of "Portrait of a Girl" to London gallery owner Offer Waterman.

A July 28 afternoon appointment in Doyle's Empire State Building office fell apart when the Brit wanted a closer look at the painting.

The men agreed to meet later at midtown bistro Rue 57 with Doyle,who then ordered Haggerty to take the painting to The Mark, which is on the upper East Side, for further inspection by Waterman.

What happened next remains a boozy blur.

The suit, filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, says hotel security footage at 10:54 p.m. shows Haggerty sitting at a table with the painting. Six minutes later, he left the painting at the hotel's front desk and entered its bar with Waterman, who yesterday told the Daily News he was annoyed that Haggerty showed up without an appointment.

"That struck me as wrong," he said in a phone interview from London.

At 11:30 p.m., the two men left the bar, retrieved the painting and had a conversation in the hotel lobby, court papers say.

"Something just didn't feel right and I didn't want to be involved," Waterman said. "So I said no, and I said goodbye."

Haggerty went back to the hotel bar at 11:34 p.m. and once more deposited the painting at the front desk. He resurfaced 90 minutes later, the suit says, when he stumbled out with the painting and a doorman asked if he needed a taxi. "No," Haggerty allegedly slurred. "I have a car."

At 2:30 a.m., he finally returned home to his Trump Place apartment, minus the painting. Later that morning, the suit says, he informed Doyle that he couldn't recall its whereabouts because of his boozy blowout.

"We're skeptical as to the explanation," said Max DiFabio, a lawyer for Trudgeon.

The painting was part of a collection that made the rounds of museums in Paris, Beijing, San Francisco, Tokyo and Buffalo. Doyle, an executive with Imperial Jets, did not return calls, and Haggerty, who also works at the company, was missing in action at his homes in Manhattan and Long Island.

"Until we are able to account for that one hour and 40 minutes, we suspect anything," DiFabio said.""

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/31/2010-08-31_man_sued_for_losing_135.html

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia – Impoverished Cambodia plans to build a 1,820-foot (555-meter) skyscraper, its prime minister said Wednesday, a feat that would give one of the region's least-developed capitals the tallest building in Asia.

Prime Minister Hun Sen said he had approved a master plan for the skyscraper, which would be located about half a mile (one kilometer) from the Royal Palace in Phnom Penh — a dusty city of colonial villas, slums and one standout skyscraper, the recently completed Canadia Tower that is about 377 feet (115 meters) high.

Hun Sen did not say when construction would start, how much it would cost or give any other details, except that it would be built by a Cambodian company, Overseas Cambodia Investment Corp., owned by tycoon Pung Khiav Se.

The company's project manager, Touch Samnang, said preliminary estimates suggest the building would cost $200 million, but the project was being studied by experts and government ministries. He said it would include a shopping mall, hotel, apartments and an entertainment center.

That figure is dwarfed by the sum for what is currently Asia's tallest building, the Taipei 101 in Taiwan. Rising 1,667 feet (508 meters), it cost about $1.6 billion. It had been the world's tallest since 2004 but was overtaken in January when Dubai unveiled the Burj Khalifa, which rises 2,717 feet (828 meters) from the desert.

Cambodia, whose commerce is tiny by international standards, has been experiencing a real estate bubble for the past few years, but several ambitious construction projects have been delayed or suspended.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is going to be interesting how they get this building built for only $200 million US. I can imagine he was missunderstood in that the corruption costs to build would be $200million.....lol.

“We are a Tea Party Group in Erie County called The Freedom Institute of Erie County and we are preparing a Conservative voter guide and would like help from your candidates. We ask they answer the following 15 questions so that we can more clearly define their position on many items. These answers will be put into our voter guide and allow us to rate, recommend, and endorse candidates. Without these questions being answered we cannot give a full endorsement of your candidate…You are allowed qualifiers to your answers but please keep it short sweet and simple. We intend to distribute this list in Erie County and hope it to reach 1,000+ Republicans and at least 4.000+ Independents that have a history of voting conservatively.â€

"2. The regulation of Carbon Dioxide in our atmosphere should be left to God and not government and I oppose all measures of Cap and Trade as well as the teaching of global warming theory in our schools."

"Then there’s the use of the term “governmentâ€: climate change is not a question of science for the Tea Partiers, it’s merely a Trojan horse being used by socialists to increase the role and influence of Big Government. So much so, that it should not even be taught in schools. (I’ve written before about the efforts by Tea Party groups to strip climate change from the school curriculum.)"

FUBAR....

“We are a Tea Party Group in Erie County called The Freedom Institute of Erie County and we are preparing a Conservative voter guide and would like help from your candidates. We ask they answer the following 15 questions so that we can more clearly define their position on many items. These answers will be put into our voter guide and allow us to rate, recommend, and endorse candidates. Without these questions being answered we cannot give a full endorsement of your candidate…You are allowed qualifiers to your answers but please keep it short sweet and simple. We intend to distribute this list in Erie County and hope it to reach 1,000+ Republicans and at least 4.000+ Independents that have a history of voting conservatively.â€

"2. The regulation of Carbon Dioxide in our atmosphere should be left to God and not government and I oppose all measures of Cap and Trade as well as the teaching of global warming theory in our schools."

"Then there’s the use of the term “governmentâ€: climate change is not a question of science for the Tea Partiers, it’s merely a Trojan horse being used by socialists to increase the role and influence of Big Government. So much so, that it should not even be taught in schools. (I’ve written before about the efforts by Tea Party groups to strip climate change from the school curriculum.)"

FUBAR....

Is this real?

FUBAR....

Is this real?

Here's the url for the Tea Party story,

http://climateprogress.org/2010/09/01/tea-party-candidate-survey-global-warming-denial/#more-32448

The world is full of extremists.

A Climate Scientist view.

Here is what Ken Caldeira really believes:

I believe the correct CO2 emission target is zero. I believe that it is essentially immoral for us to be making devices (automobiles, coal power plants, etc) that use the atmosphere as a sewer for our waste products. I am in favor of outlawing production of such devices as soon as possible….

Every carbon dioxide emission adds to climate damage and increasing risk of catastrophic consequences. There is no safe level of emission.

I compare CO2 emissions to mugging little old ladies … It is wrong to mug little old ladies and wrong to emit carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. The right target for both mugging little old ladies and carbon dioxide emissions is zero.

I am in favor of fire insurance but I am also against playing with matches while sitting on a keg of gunpowder. I am in favor of research into geoengineering options but I am also against carbon dioxide emissions.

Carbon dioxide emissions represent a real threat to humans and natural systems, and I fear we may have already dawdled too long. That is why I want to see research into geoengineering — because the threat posed by CO2 is real and large, not because the threat is imaginary and small.

http://climateprogress.org/2010/08/31/lomborg-new-book-smart-solutions-to-climate-change-debunk-errors-flaw/#more-32402

Sexual double standards

Published: 2/09/2010 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

There are times when it is not just a non-issue, but it becomes your fault if you start to question it.

If you feel offended by your boss' obscene jokes, for example, it is because you lack a sense of humour. If you are uncomfortable with his suggestive look, lewd comment about your appearance, and starting to protest against his creepy touch, you are accused of making things up in your mind or making a mountain out of a molehill.

Now sexual harassment in the workplace is no longer tolerated, legally.

According to the Labour Protection Law, perpetrators are liable to a fine of 20,000 baht for making unwelcome sexual advances, verbally and physically, to subordinates or colleagues.

Take note, however, that sexual harassment carries no criminal punishment in the Labour Protection Law.

Furthermore, it governs the workforce in the private sector only, leaving out the gigantic officialdom and the more gigantic informal sector.

We should therefore welcome the move by the Office of the Civil Service Commission for issuing a set of regulations to punish sexual harassment in the bureaucratic workplace. The proposal received a quick green light from the cabinet without any raised eyebrows.

Little wonder. Why risk being politically incorrect when everyone knows it is so difficult to prove sexual harassment and very few victims are willing to complain for fear of losing their jobs and being the target of office gossip? Besides, why say no when the proposed anti-sexual harassment rules only apply to the 2-million-strong civil service, leaving out the military, the police, the judiciary, and politicians!

Why, why, why?

According to the Friends of Women Foundation, most of their sexual harassment complaints involve those big guys in uniform and in parliament. Front-page scandals tell us the same story. The stories of sexual harassment that surround us in everyday life may not involve big names and big institutions, but they are of the same nature. They are not only the stories of sexual misconduct, but ones of power and gender inequality that allow the predators to hunt with impunity.

Of course, efforts should be made to force the military, the police, the judiciary, and politicians at all levels to be legally accountable for their misconduct. But what we have learned from the impotent anti-sexual harassment clause in the Labour Protection Law and the civil service's half-hearted attempt to curb sexual harassment is that the real enemy is not so much what is written on paper. It is what is in our heads.

Some critics complain about the lack of transparent and fair procedures to deliver justice and to protect the victims. Others complain about the light punishment that fails to rein in the predators.

But we already have many forceful laws to fix gender-based violence, yet the lack of enforcement is glaring. Often, an effort to fix one problem ends up creating a new, unexpected one. Harsh punishment for parents of child sex workers, for example, has forced child prostitution to go deeper underground, making them more vulnerable to sexual exploitation.

Don't deny it. Our culture's sexual double standard endorses womanising as part of male sexual prowess. It also treats women as inferiors and sex objects. It is difficult for men who grow up in this culture of gender inequality to see that making unwelcome sexual advances of any kind is hurting women's human dignity.

Meanwhile, it is very difficult for the victim to fight for justice. More often than not they are fighting not just the predator, for the whole organisation is intent on protecting its institutional reputation. There is the fear of losing one's job for taking the boss to task. There is the fear of social stigma from the cultural tendency to blame women in sex-related crimes. Indeed, who does not fear those staring eyes, that nasty gossip of sexual blackmail...?

We certainly need better laws to weed out sexual harassment. But if our cultural values in favour of the predators remain intact, any anti-sexual harassment rules and laws will end up being just pieces of paper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being how this new law only applies to the private section of business, I can see them doing their token enforcement on some foreign businessman.

Too bad this new law doesn't apply to all business, government, and all, and had some real teeth with criminal consequences for repeat violations, and an increasing fine structure.