2009 Flu Pandemic in Thailand

Sathorn

Today my school issued a strong written alert to the parents of over 3000 students and gave teachers and all auxiliary staff some precautionary instructions.

Thai Admin informed me to advise foreign staff this afternoon as some schools have shut down in Bangkok and Pattaya already.

I found the following on the Net and people should be warned about being in crowded places such as on buses and particularly on the Sky Train which tourists use regularly.

BANGKOK ? Asia prepared for even tighter swine flu controls Thursday as countries said they had received advance notice from the World Health Organization that it was planning to declare the first global flu pandemic in more than four decades. Health ministries in Thailand and Indonesia said an email alert from WHO advised them that a pandemic would be declared as early as midnight local time... The world is in phase 5 of WHO's pandemic alert scale, meaning a global outbreak is imminent. Moving to phase 6, the highest level, means a pandemic has begun.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5ixJV_-DB8XH3ll6t1oTQ4j_N5tFw

21 cases were reported in Pattaya yesterday.

Take care, everyone. Symptoms include excessive coughing, high fever and vomiting.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three schools in metropolitan Bangkok were closed Friday -- St Gabriel's College, nearby Saint Francis Xavier Convent School and a kindergarten in suburban Pathum Thani.

Interviewed before travelling to Cambodia Friday morning, Prime Minister Abhisit said at that time that the spread of the Influenza A (H1N1) in Thailand was limited to a few areas and the government has systematic surveillance in place to closely monitor the new infections.

The locations where the H1N1 virus was recently detected were put under surveillance.

The areas are the two major tourist destinations -- the eastern seaside resort town of Pattaya, the southen resort island of Phuket and St Gabriel's College in the capital...

The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Influenza A (H1N1) the influenza pandemic Thursday, raising the pandemic alert level to level six after it infected tens of thousands of people in 74 countries.

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=10330

Hmmmm... Is there something wrong with the Secretary's mathematics??? :?

BANGKOK, June 14 (TNA) ? The Ministry of Public Health on Sunday reported new 44 Influenza A H1N1 cases, bringing the number of the country?s total cases to 150.

Permanent Secretary for Public Health Prat Boonyawongvirot said that lab tests had confirmed 44 new H1N1 cases. However, he warned the public not to panic as the mortality rate for the virus is only 0.1 ...

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=10359

Data from the World Health Organization shows that as of June 12, 74 countries had officially reported 29,669 cases of influenza A(H1N1), including 145 deaths.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2009/06/15/212219/Half-of.htm

When I went to school it was 145 / 29,669 x 100 to give a mortality rate of almost 0.5%... But I guess plenty of Thais will believe him. :roll:

BANGKOK, June 14 (TNA) ? The Ministry of Public Health on Sunday reported new 44 Influenza A H1N1 cases, bringing the number of the country?s total cases to 150.

Permanent Secretary for Public Health Prat Boonyawongvirot said that lab tests had confirmed 44 new H1N1 cases. However, he warned the public not to panic as the mortality rate for the virus is only 0.1 ...

Data from the World Health Organization shows that as of June 12, 74 countries had officially reported 29,669 cases of influenza A(H1N1), including 145 deaths.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2009/06/15/212219/Half-of.htm

When I went to school it was 145 / 29,669 x 100 to give a mortality rate of almost 0.5%... But I guess plenty of Thais will believe him. :roll:

Ahhh but he's using the figure of REAL cases versus the 'official' figures.

I'm in Phuket and the local government and hospitals are lying through their TEETH that there are NO cases of Swine Flu in Phuket.... despite reports from several sources and an official order to close nightclubs for 5 days.

I'm sick and I think I have Swine Flu, but I can't get any anti-viral drugs, unless I prove I've been in contact with someone with H1N1...

I'm in Phuket and the local government and hospitals are lying through their TEETH that there are NO cases of Swine Flu in Phuket.... despite reports from several sources and an official order to close nightclubs for 5 days.

I'm sick and I think I have Swine Flu, but I can't get any anti-viral drugs, unless I prove I've been in contact with someone with H1N1...

That's some scary shit...

Lots of water and vitamin C in the meantime? Take care of yourself, David...I don't want to have to start a list of TF victims on the forums!

:roll:

And that is crazy yet not surprising that the hospitals are denying everything. I don't know what would surprise me at this point...real action maybe.

That's some scary sh*t...

Lots of water and vitamin C in the meantime? Take care of yourself, David...I don't want to have to start a list of TF victims on the forums!

And that is crazy yet not surprising that the hospitals are denying everything. I don't know what would surprise me at this point...real action maybe.

Sorry about that, Dave. I hope you do ok, but I will start on a nice obituary just in case...

Seriously though, I think people need to take a lot of care. I really think that the mutation is the main danger as Thailand is just going into its flu season. AND the masks that everyone is issuing do nothing to stop flu. If you are concerned you need to purchase a proper one.

Yet you give him the yellow card a few minutes later, so he would go down banned with no possibility to speak his last words !

youre tough admin.

( wont joke about the subject, but think EB got over it and is alive and kicking.)

Yet you give him the yellow card a few minutes later, so he would go down banned with no possibility to speak his last words !

youre tough admin.

( wont joke about the subject, but think EB got over it and is alive and kicking.)

the yellow card was to stop him whinging about what was only a case of mild man flju, but by the time Dave got through dramatacising it, would have been akin to some sort of ebola hybrid.

:lol:

youre tough admin.

the yellow card was to stop him whinging about what was only a case of mild man flju, but by the time Dave got through dramatacising it, would have been akin to some sort of ebola hybrid.

ebola is on TF :shock:

youre tough admin.

Twas smuggled in inside your beard Gerry...

:wink:

youre tough admin.

Twas smuggled in inside your beard Gerry...

:wink:

I just showered :shock:

• 3 weeks later...

48685.jpg

Tutorial schools and online game shops are facing temporary closure to help curb the A (H1N1) virus pandemic, under a Health Ministry proposal given government backing. Two more Thai deaths from the flu were confirmed yesterday - the victims aged 19 and 21 - amid government concerns that students have emerged as a new group vulnerable to infection. It is not yet necessary to seal the country to control the spread of flu, as recommended by Chulalongkorn Hospital doctors, Mr Abhisit said.

- Bangkok Post.

Ok lets not get hysterical now,sure lets take some precaussions

but we are still talking about a fairly mild flu and as Pjack said the regular flu

kills a lot of people every year.

The scary part is the mutation ,we dont know what the next thing will be.

Put in perspective the flu has kille some 1, 2 0r 3 hundred people

malaria kills about 4000 EVERY day and nobody especially the media talks about that.

Ok lets not get hysterical now,sure lets take some precaussions

but we are still talking about a fairly mild flu and as Pjack said the regular flu

kills a lot of people every year.

The scary part is the mutation ,we dont know what the next thing will be.

Put in perspective the flu has kille some 1, 2 0r 3 hundred people

malaria kills about 4000 EVERY day and nobody especially the media talks about that.

The scary part is that it kills otherwise healthy people of all ages. The flu kills mostly old or unhealthy people. Not the same thing at all.

Last week my friend went to see a movie... She and her friends put masks on... a Thai guy who set next to her asked his GF to exchange the seat and said "If they scared why they come to see movie?" Ouch!!! That's very stupid. I know wearing mask for some people aint cool at all, but I respect people who have responsibility.

I know people die every day from some reasons... but this flu spread very fast na... some doctor said we will all got H1N1.

I think it's not that hard to protect yourself and protect the others, just wash your hands in the right way.. 6 steps and spend atleast 15 sec. if you use alcohol jel, use 2 CC. and wear mask in the public and close place, such as MRT.

48685.jpg

Tutorial schools and online game shops are facing temporary closure to help curb the A (H1N1) virus pandemic, under a Health Ministry proposal given government backing. Two more Thai deaths from the flu were confirmed yesterday - the victims aged 19 and 21 - amid government concerns that students have emerged as a new group vulnerable to infection. It is not yet necessary to seal the country to control the spread of flu, as recommended by Chulalongkorn Hospital doctors, Mr Abhisit said.

- Bangkok Post.

I knew there was a reason that I haven't left my castle for a few weeks!

Last week my friend went to see a movie... She and her friends put masks on... a Thai guy who set next to her asked his GF to exchange the seat and said "If they scared why they come to see movie?" Ouch!!! That's very stupid. I know wearing mask for some people aint cool at all, but I respect people who have responsibility.

Since I can't be sure if they are just wearing to protecting themselves or they are currently sick and do not want pass their virus to others. Either way, when i see people wearing masks, i just do not want to be near them, period.

Since I can't be sure if they are just wearing to protecting themselves or they are currently sick and do not want pass their virus to others. Either way, when i see people wearing masks, i just do not want to be near them, period.

people wear masks on their period now? :?

people wear masks on their period now? :?

Couple bits of elastic and a panty liner and you're set to take on a World pandemic!

lol understand that feeling... as i said i respect them either way...

Last week I went to hospital to visit my friend, i wore mask before i get into the hospital. Some ppl just scared me. First step to my friend's patient room... she asked me what was wrong with me... I said I just protect myself cuz hospital is the danger zone to me. lol.

One thing you have to make sure, if you get near people who wear mask... just check if they wear mask in the RIGHT WAY. The green or blue color must be outside... and put the mask cover thier noses and chins.

Doctors at my hospital wear double mask... i looked at thier pockets... they might have a dozen. I think. :D

Once, I have seen an old guy wore mask in MRT. it's good... but when he cough... he put his mask off and cough, yuck!!!