Schools in Thailand

pandorea

Question

My just turned 6 years old nephew is now in the first grade at Bangkok Christian College. He told me there were 55 students in his classroom. (and just fyi. every student?s parents paid "extra" money let say bth 100,000 each as a donation to the school. 55 students mean approx bth 5500,000/1 classroom. What a good business!!!)

55 students/1 room/1 teacher, that?s one busy classroom. I don't know if childern can learn anything under that kind of environment. I remember when I was in school in BKK, my class was approx 40 and I know only half of the class. When I study in DK, my class was approx 26 and we complain that we are way too many students in the classroom.

Simple questions : What is good environment for studying for children in your opinion? And if you have kids, would you send them to a famous school with more then 50 students/classroom? And How much money are you willing to pay for your kids education?

19 answers to this question

My just turned 6 years old nephew is now in the first grade at Bangkok Christian College. He told me there were 55 students in his classroom. (and just fyi. every student?s parents paid "extra" money let say bth 100,000 each as a donation to the school. 55 students mean approx bth 5500,000/1 classroom. What a good business!!!)

55 students/1 room/1 teacher, that?s one busy classroom. I don't know if childern can learn anything under that kind of environment. I remember when I was in school in BKK, my class was approx 40 and I know only half of the class. When I study in DK, my class was approx 26 and we complain that we are way too many students in the classroom.

Simple questions : What is good environment for studying for children in your opinion? And if you have kids, would you send them to a famous school with more then 50 students/classroom? And How much money are you willing to pay for your kids education?

in a previous lifetime I knew a lot about Montfort College in Chiang Mai. The level of teaching there was what it was which was uninspiring. There are 50 or 60 students in a class. It was expensive, probably about the same as your BCC.

The real learning takes place in extra curricular classes after school. Surely kids learn some in class but all serious kids do the after school classes. The reason for going to the name school is to make friends and get in wiith the right social circles. This is much more important in Thailand than anything you are ever gonna learn in a school.

in a previous lifetime I knew a lot about Montfort College in Chiang Mai. The level of teaching there was what it was which was uninspiring. There are 50 or 60 students in a class. It was expensive, probably about the same as your BCC.

The real learning takes place in extra curricular classes after school. Surely kids learn some in class but all serious kids do the after school classes. The reason for going to the name school is to make friends and get in wiith the right social circles. This is much more important in Thailand than anything you are ever gonna learn in a school.

Good point PJack, I went to after school class also and my newphew spends his Saturday at after school. He seems to be ok with that and I've survived more than 40 hours/week at school. But do we really learn anything? (that's a a question to myself)

I have several friends who work in the Thai education system, ranging from government to private schools and universities. As you can imagine the Thai education system is close to their hearts (as it provides them with a living). and discused often. I am told that Thai schools are there for a single primary reason, to re-inforce the authority of the monarchy, religion & state. I don't know if that's true, but I hear it often.

Compare the education system in thailand with that of Scandanavia for example. Class sizes are less than half those it Thailand, there is rarely need for additional tuition. Which system would you prefer to enrol your children is?

One friend showed me the pictures of a school auditorium that had recently been renovated at a cost of some 3.5 million baht. Very nive it was too, beautiful chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, lovely wooden floors & stage area, expensive looking drapes etc. However after the renovation work, the school principal decreed that students would not longer be allowed to use it. In fact it was for the reserve of special functions, usually presentations, lunches, education meetings, wher selected students were permitted entry buy usuallt to act as servants/ gophers. Now you know where some of the aprents hard earned cash goes.

:roll: When I was in primary school ... even it's private one still there were about 50 students per class ... I knew all of them though ... In secondary school I studied in public school but English programme so there were 25 students in a class and I think 25 was way much better .... maybe only international school that you can find small class for primary level.

Assumption University

ABAC

at Hua Mak campus

is **** - school looks nice, but the the way its run it such an insane fuckin headache. no one tells anyone anything n it seems most no one knows what they r doing

the area is gross, the teachers r drunk ass children usually no older then 22 or 23, dont teach for ****, n if they do their grammer n spelling exspecially when they write TESTS is horrible ( i kno mine is but i do it on purpose when i type )

the few older teachers are all sleezy

thai or farang, they all wanna ***** the students ..... and do

dress code is ok seeings they all adopted that uniform thing

the education is NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT worth the money or headache

you would learn more self teaching or researching online

**** is expensive n the staff (not just teachers) but it seems everyone there is slightly autistic or have no idea where anything is at much less how to help anyone in ANYTHING

i cant say the same about the Bang Na campus, as its very clean, (but full of farang) but overall the teachers actually "teach"

Having been in education field for years, I find that a class of 30+ students is really hard to teach and to get everyone participate. Even though students in Thailand hardly ever ask any question.

When I took classes with American professors, we were asked to participate by asking questions. Each week, we had to read ahead one whole chapter and prepare at least 3-5 questions to ask around in classroom. And the questions were most of the time not answered by the teacher but our classmates which was really good when opportunities given to think and to practice your system.

But even the size of the class is small, students participation is pretty important. When I was teaching in Burma, only 15 teenage students, they were really quiet that I could hear my own breath or if i farted they wouldnt make any giggles or anything which makes it so hard to teach.

the area is gross, the teachers r drunk a*s children usually no older then 22 or 23, dont teach for sh*t, n if they do their grammer n spelling exspecially when they write TESTS is horrible ( i kno mine is but i do it on purpose when i type )

"

:shock: you're doing a great job , I must say! :D

When I was teaching in Burma, only 15 teenage students, they were really quiet that I could hear my own breath or if i farted they wouldnt make any giggles or anything which makes it so hard to teach.

imagine the little brats not giggling when u farted !! i hope u flogged the little bastards to within an inch of their miserable lives !! :twisted: :twisted:

When I was teaching in Burma, only 15 teenage students, they were really quiet that I could hear my own breath or if i farted they wouldnt make any giggles or anything which makes it so hard to teach.

imagine the little brats not giggling when u farted !! i hope u flogged the little bastards to within an inch of their miserable lives !! :twisted: :twisted:

Ciaran still giggles if someone farts, and if it's his own, he cups his hand over his ass and checks it for potency afterward. :lol:

My kids have been to semi-international schools such as Sacred Heart, as well as some other local schools (when they were much younger). They lived in Australia for a couple of years attending normal schools there, and doing extremely well with their results (glad to say), now they are back in Thailand and attending a private Thai school - I have seen the place and it seems ok in terms of facilites etc, and it's not ridiculously expensive.

My kids volunteered to do extra classes after school as they are interested to learn. I find the practice of charging these horendous rates that the so called "international" schools charge to be criminal - there is no way that the kids (or the parents) are getting the real value for money, and I am certain that at many of the expensive schools, (as mentioned by Pandorea) the prices are simply sky high for no good reason - a class of 50 is way too many students, and in places like Australia, they usually aim for an absolute maximum of 30 (which is still too many of course).

I just tend to think that the international schools here are ripping off the students and their families by charging far too much for what they deliver...

in my humble opinion, the best choice is to send your kids to an international school since they are little. the class is small and students feel free to participate. their brain will function well into an interactive environment. no strict stupid rules like in thai schools which would create a wall between students and teachers. students are scared. teachers are control freaks.. nothing much can be learned in class becuz teacher spends half an hour nagging.

however i think it is also best to send your kids to a well-established government school when they are able to think and argue reasonably on their own feet, say grade 9. school like TriamUdom is a good choice.

then i'd suggest your kids to take a test like GED to apply for university.. if your kids are smart, they can get in the university when they're only in grade 9 or 10 !

there goes a bachelor when they're only 20 years old :)

the area is gross, the teachers r drunk a*s children usually no older then 22 or 23, dont teach for sh*t, n if they do their grammer n spelling exspecially when they write TESTS is horrible ( i kno mine is but i do it on purpose when i type )

"

why thank you my assistant spell checker

but on a serious note, i type that way on purpose

n that school is garbage

at least the education being taught from there is

n you can ask around im far from the only student who feels as such

My just turned 6 years old nephew is now in the first grade at Bangkok Christian College. He told me there were 55 students in his classroom. (and just fyi. every student?s parents paid "extra" money let say bth 100,000 each as a donation to the school.

"I can't help but think this more about a parents public display of wealth than the genuine welfare and education of their children"

From a very close Thai friend whose just about to enter the world of politics.

Thoughts?

I have had the pleasure of teaching in some of the best "Dream" schools in Thailand with up to 65 students per class(I have also had classes 15-30 students per class) and have been told by the thai heads of the english department that no one really expects them to learn much its more a matter of keeping them busy and under control-usually half the class want to learn(which includes most of the girls,the ladyboys,and a few of the boys)the rest don't care and muck around because they will pass anyway if their parents are paying for them to go there-in all thai schools I have ever worked in-both private and Government I have always been told by the thai head teachers to upgrade their marks so that all students pass-and that I should give a mark no lower than say 55 or 60%-I was told if my students recieved lower grades than this that I would be considered a bad teacher and fired-every word 100% true.

Thais are taught to be sheep and follow those in charge,independant thought is not encouraged in most schools.If you want a good education for your children send them to a school in England ,Canada,Australia or New Zealand.

Spending money on education in most schools in thailand is the same as flushing it down the toilet.

"

n that school is garbage

HAHAHAHA

A case of the Thai calling the Issan black...

I'm glad you did it on purpose. It makes great reading. :roll:

Anyway, my school charges 70 000 baht per year and averages 30 - 35 students per class so maybe it's not so bad. Send your nephew over Nicky, and I'll look after him. Not aware of any resident pedophiles at the moment though (as someone claimed - libelously? - about another school).

"

n that school is garbage

HAHAHAHA

Anyway, my school charges 70 000 baht per year and averages 30 - 35 students per class so maybe it's not so bad. Send your nephew over Nicky, and I'll look after him. Not aware of any resident pedophiles at the moment though (as someone claimed - libelously? - about another school).

He's happy with BCC, Twice_shy. and his mommy is even happier for the reason that the boy doesn't have change school until he finishes high-school. I was just wondering how many students per classroom is the best learning environment for students. You are a teacher you must know something about this. :D

"

n that school is garbage

HAHAHAHA

He's happy with BCC, Twice_shy. and his mommy is even happier for the reason that the boy doesn't have change school until he finishes high-school. I was just wondering how many students per classroom is the best learning environment for students. You are a teacher you must know something about this. :D

I'm no authority on the matter, but I believe that the best class size would be between 20 and 25. Not so many that the teacher will lose the attention that each child deserves, and not so few that the child won't learn the proper social skills/learn from his or her peers.