Economy Rankings

pandorea

From http://www.doingbusiness.org/EconomyRankings/

Economies are ranked on their ease of doing business, from 1 ? 181, with first place being the best. A high ranking on the ease of doing business index means the regulatory environment is conducive to the operation of business. This index averages the country's percentile rankings on 10 topics, made up of a variety of indicators, giving equal weight to each topic. The rankings are from the Doing Business 2009 report, covering the period April 2007 to June 2008.

Singapore 1

New Zealand 2

USA 3

Hong Kong 4

Denmark 5

UK 6

Ireland 7

Canada 8

Australia 9

Norway 10

Iceland 11

Japan 12

Can you guess which country is on ranking 13?

It?s Thailand, my ladies and gents.

Finland came no.13

Sweden 17

Malaysia 20

Germany 25

France 31

China 83

and the last one is Congo, Dem. Rep. 181

Amusing Thailand, innit? Maybe we have to read their methodology & research.

Anyway, I take that no.13 as good news, PeeMarc.

yes, it is good news since many will gain more confidence in Thailand from this kind of news.

But give the amount of unchecked and rampant corruption and dishonesty here, together with incredibly cumbersome "proced -URES" (that mean more people to skim more money at every step), i just wonder about the methodology for this ranking.

no surprise about Singapore. But Thailand almost making top 10 for "ease of doing business"??

Thats insane. :shock:

A high ranking on the ease of doing business index means the regulatory environment is conducive to the operation of business

Looks like they judged by the regulatory environment (which has a lot of good provisions), not bothering to check the ridiculous amount of tea-money and corruption that cripples that environment.

yes, it is good news since many will gain more confidence in Thailand from this kind of news.

But give the amount of unchecked and rampant corruption and dishonesty here, together with incredibly cumbersome "proced -URES" (that mean more people to skim more money at every step), i just wonder about the methodology for this ranking.

I think PeeMarc shall read more local business newspaper or have more talking with the peers ( businessman ) and also starts to look out in positive way.

The recent problems in Thailand almost affected nothing to foreign investors, they still going ahead for their MEGA projects.

I think PeeMarc shall read more local business newspaper or have more talking with the peers ( businessman ) and also starts to look out in positive way.

The recent problems in Thailand almost affected nothing to foreign investors, they still going ahead for their MEGA projects.

sitting at your desk as a secretary in one company would give you some great perspective and objectivity would it? And local newspapers here aren't any better.

Having lived, worked and conducted business in 6 different countries so far, i would say my vision may be a little wider than yours dear.

And i add that reason i have settled in Thailand is that out of ALL countries it seems to have the most positive things for me, despite the lies and corruption (that actually do more damage to you and your fellow Thai than to foreigners)

sitting at you desk as a secretary in one company would give you some great perspective and objectivity would it? And local newspapers here arent any better.

Having lived, worked and conducted business in 6 different countries so far, i would say my vision my be a little wider than yours dear.

And i add that reason i have settled in Thailand is that out of ALL countries it seems to have the most positive things for me, despite the lies and corruption (that actually do more damage to you and your fellow Thai than to foreigners)

cant sitting at the desk people know something better like everyone else ? The benefit of sitting in this company is they involve with many big projects which make me no surprise seeing Thailand in no. 13 ranking (which businessman from 6 countries does)

For the corruption thing, i have contributed my thought / perspective already in other forum thread and its still same despite the shamless beggers you see daily on the street.

Maybe we have to check transparency international corruption perceptions index also. It might tell us something.

http://www.infoplease.com/world/statistics/2007-transparency-international-corruption-perceptions.html

Country Rank : 1.

Denmark 9.4

Finland 9.4

New Zealand 9.4

Country Rank 84.

Bosnia and Herzegovina 3.3

FYR Macedonia 3.3

Gabon 3.3

Jamaica 3.3

Kiribati 3.3

Lesotho 3.3

Maldives 3.3

Montenegro 3.3

Swaziland 3.3

Thailand 3.3

I love statistics!!! :D

The benefit of sitting in this company is they involve with many big projects which make me no surprise seeing Thailand in no. 13 ranking (which businessman from 6 countries does)

Have you ever wondered how those deals get made?

Seems to me the way to handle a big investment in Thailand is bribe the govt officials required and get the paperwork through quick smart before the government changes and those "friends" suddenly vanish, while at the same time making sure any investment is "benefiting" local investors.

Otherwise that friendly regulatory environment amounts to a pile of red tape.

sad but true

Speaking from my own experience, I used to work for a big engineer consulting company in BKK. They handle most of irrigation projects in Thailand/in neighbour countries, high ways and many other big projects. The company used to send government officers (whole department) on Europe tour. They even had a private driver and a Mercedes for one of the top governor?s mistress. She can use it whenever she wanted. And they gave away golf club memberships like Big C. discount coupons and if you don?t have a golf set, they can provide one. If you?re the right person, of course.

Sometime doing business in Thailand isn?t about what you can do, it?s about who you know and what you can give away.

Speaking from my own experience, I used to work for a big engineer consulting company in BKK. They handle most of irrigation projects in Thailand/in neighbour countries, high ways and many other big projects. The company used to send government officers (whole department) on Europe tour. They even had a private driver and a Mercedes for one of the top governor?s mistress. She can use it whenever she wanted. And they gave away golf club memberships like Big C. discount coupons and if you don?t have a golf set, they can provide one. If you?re the right person, of course.

Sometime doing business in Thailand isn?t about what you can do, it?s about who you know and what you can give away.

I'd say that this is most likely true in most economies but in thailand it is just more of a closed shop plus that the players don't like outside competition for their established, elite gravy train.

Its amusing how people talk about Thai corruption and yet they like to conduct business in Thailand.

Uhmmm..that's a good point. Could this be because those people make good money eventhu' they have to pay some extra tea-money and because most Thai people work hard for such little money?

Its amusing how people talk about Thai corruption and yet they like to conduct business in Thailand.
you could see it that way and have a laugh. But honestly, if conducting business was the ONLY reason i am here, i wouldnt have even bothered.

Having said that, running a business here CAN be very satisfying and great fun and experience (if you get the balance right). At other times it can be like trying to herd cats. Certainly, either way, one gets another view of life here by doing it.

But really there are 1000 other good reasons that balance the bad issues, and when one puts it all together, overall, its kinda worth it.

The benefit of sitting in this company is they involve with many big projects which make me no surprise seeing Thailand in no. 13 ranking (which businessman from 6 countries does)

Seems to me the way to handle a big investment in Thailand is bribe the govt officials required and get the paperwork through quick smart before the government changes and those "friends" suddenly vanish, while at the same time making sure any investment is "benefiting" local investors.

That PROCESS has become old-fashioned already. I have often get my boss sign on the paper acknowlagement of 'corruption free' letter. Many organization has committees for receiving queries from suppliers / vendors to report them if there have 'requirement under table' and agreed to keep it confidential.

Yah.. me too :roll:

That PROCESS has become old-fashioned already. I have often get my boss sign on the paper acknowlagement of 'corruption free' letter. Many organization has committees for receiving queries from suppliers / vendors to report them if there have 'requirement under table' and agreed to keep it confidential.

Yes. Many companies dealing with multinational or internation deals do have some sort of anti corruption process in place. But not many. Certainly not all. Im pleased you say yours 'appears' to.

But lets not forget your 3 mafia here : your government, police and army. And lets not forget your toothless and inept legal system.

And also, corruption is only part of the issue. Lets not forget the Thai Way of endless and senseless proceeeedURE.

And please read my previous, more positive post before u tell me to bugger of home (again) :roll:

Yes. Many companies dealing with multinational or internation deals do have some sort of anti corruption process in place. But not many. Certainly not all. Im pleased you say yours 'appears' to.

But lets not forget your 3 mafia here : your government, police and army. And lets not forget your toothless and inept legal system.

And also, corruption is only part of the issue. Lets not forget the Thai Way of endless and senseless proceeeedURE.

And please read my previous, more positive post before u tell me to bugger of home (again) :roll:

We also found less in SOME government sectors as well (should i mention them out here?). And hopefully the rest are under IMPROVMENT process.

We also found less in SOME government sectors as well (should i mention them out here?). And hopefully the rest are under IMPROVMENT process.

That's good to hear. I hope that Thailand can rid itself of this plague. Although I think that corruption is more deeply entrenched and more widespread than most people seem to realise.

I'm concerned about this not because I find it inconvenient, but because it's sad to see the wonderful people of Thailand robbed of their future by the greedy.

That's good to hear. I hope that Thailand can rid itself of this plague. Although I think that corruption is more deeply entrenched and more widespread than most people seem to realise.

I'm concerned about this not because I find it inconvenient, but because it's sad to see the wonderful people of Thailand robbed of their future by the greedy.

government = corruption. local ,state, city, country worldwide epedemic :twisted:

Good to see New Zealand high on that list. I cant ever imagine corruption vanishing from Thailand or in any country for that matter, hehe my gripe with Thailand is the endless paperwork, photocopies, signatures,offical stamps,apart from that, Thailand is not a bad place to live.

Goldman Sachs in Talks to Acquire Treasury Department In what some on Wall Street are calling the biggest blockbuster deal in the history of the financial sector, Goldman Sachs confirmed today that it was in talks to acquire the U.S. Department of the Treasury. According to Goldman spokesperson Jonathan Hestron, the merger between Goldman and the Treasury Department is ?a good fit? because..."

Starting up small business in denmark...

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/smallbusiness/0809/gallery.best_countries_for_business.smb/5.html

Denmark is the only economy in the world where it costs nothing to start a business, although entrepreneurs do have to show that they have some money in the bank before they can set up shop. Registration requires only four procedures and takes just six days.

With relatively strong legal rights for borrowers and lenders, laws that make it fairly easy to hire and fire employees, and some of the lowest export and import costs, this is the second year Denmark has the No. 5 position in the "Doing Business" ranking.

Danish reforms in 2007 and 2008 include a reduction in the corporate tax rate, which dropped from 28% to 25%, and changes to the court system to allow for some contract-enforcement cases to be sent to mediation.

Registering property, however, isn't exactly speedy, with an average duration of 42 days, - and while applying for a construction permit may appear easy, requiring a world-record of just six procedures, it still takes a total of 69 days to process.

Singapore

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/smallbusiness/0809/gallery.best_countries_for_business.smb/index.html

Singapore has a three-year history at the top of this ranking, thanks to its business-friendly bankruptcy and labor laws, its low and quick-to-file taxes, and its generally high-tech approach to everything.

This year, reforms in two sectors - starting a business and dealing with construction permits - helped the city-state hold its place at number one.

A new company can now be set up in four days thanks to improvements in Singapore's electronic business registration service.

Singapore's newly streamlined construction-permit application process, also online, has reduced waiting times to 38 days, the third fastest time in the world. What's more, once they've filed their paperwork, builders in Singapore can receive regular e-mail or text-message updates on the status of their applications.

In other areas, Singapore continues to come in on top, with some of the world's strongest laws protecting investors, lenders and borrowers; lowest import and export costs (less than $500 per container); and the fastest time to resolve commercial disputes in the world: 150 days.

USA

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/smallbusiness/0809/gallery.best_countries_for_business.smb/3.html

While the "Doing Business" report recorded no new reforms in business regulation in the U.S. this year, the country still ranks at No. 3 for the fourth year running.

The main sector in which the U.S. leads the rest of the world is labor law: hiring and firing workers is easy, and dismissing an employee costs nothing.

The U.S. ranks highly in most other areas, with a relatively low cost and short application process to start a business, speedy importing and exporting processes, and strong investor protections.

The U.S. also boasts the fourth fastest time in the world to obtain construction permits - 40 days - thanks to its electronic filing system.

When it comes to paying taxes, however, American business owners have it relatively tough. Forty-five economies rank higher than the U.S. on the report's tax index, which considers the number of payments required per year, the time it takes to file taxes and the total tax rate.

and Thailand.....

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/smallbusiness/0809/gallery.best_countries_for_business.smb/13.html

This year, Thailand moved six places up the ranking from 19th position, thanks to recent reforms in registering property, protecting investors, trade and paying taxes.

These days, transferring property takes only two days and two procedures. Thailand also strengthened the rights of minority shareholders, making it easier to sue corporate directors, and introduced corporate income tax exemptions for small companies.

But significant obstacles to running a small business remain: starting a business takes 33 days, completing paperwork for taxes eats up 264 hours a year, and recovering debt from a bankrupt business takes nearly three years. The average recovery rate from an insolvent firm doesn't look good for creditors either, at 42.4 cents on the dollar.