Which is the BEST newspaper?

xnine100

Question

14 answers to this question

Each to their own.

As regards the post going awol yes i noticed that when i signed on today many of my posts had simply disappeared.

I figured this was admin but then I was wondering how I am still here?

I am a bit baffled.

I am under no illusions about my precarious status here in TF land so while I dont feel I deserve to be banned I could easily see how that might happen and would even understand it.

On balance though I believe in the yellow card approach as the point of my recent posts was much to illustrate that people are not beyond reform while still retaining their basic characteristics.

sadly tough it seems i am wrong in having such blind faith in the capacity of some people to stand back and let sleeping dogs sleep.

It takes 2 to tango so sweeping judgements and assertions should not be made in one direction alone.

In a country that holds such importance for saving face I would have thought it more gracious and productive to just laugh things off or be someway similarly dismissive without having to make very rude and foul language and psuedo threats which nobody should be doing or applaud.

ANYWAY BACK TO THE TOPIC IN HAND

I have the impression from my stay that both papers are actually of very good standard but I dont know enough about Thailand or Asia to feel confident in this impression.

Maybe some more streetwise people can explain how in touch the papers are with the culture and heartbeat of Thailand.

If that is too boring maybe I should go back to the fast track to getting myself banned? Or would that be too predictable?

Each to their own.

As regards the post going awol yes i noticed that when i signed on today many of my posts had simply disappeared.

I figured this was admin but then I was wondering how I am still here?

I am a bit baffled.

I am under no illusions about my precarious status here in TF land so while I dont feel I deserve to be banned I could easily see how that might happen and would even understand it.

On balance though I believe in the yellow card approach as the point of my recent posts was much to illustrate that people are not beyond reform while still retaining their basic characteristics.

sadly tough it seems i am wrong in having such blind faith in the capacity of some people to stand back and let sleeping dogs sleep.

It takes 2 to tango so sweeping judgements and assertions should not be made in one direction alone.

In a country that holds such importance for saving face I would have thought it more gracious and productive to just laugh things off or be someway similarly dismissive without having to make very rude and foul language and psuedo threats which nobody should be doing or applaud.

ANYWAY BACK TO THE TOPIC IN HAND

I have the impression from my stay that both papers are actually of very good standard but I dont know enough about Thailand or Asia to feel confident in this impression.

Maybe some more streetwise people can explain how in touch the papers are with the culture and heartbeat of Thailand.

If that is too boring maybe I should go back to the fast track to getting myself banned? Or would that be too predictable?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Are u sure about free press in TH. Me not. I have much more information and experience about free press in TH then most of you. Just look at my profile and u'lll know whom I'm working for. But doesn't matter. U don't know better. U just see ur job, ur opportunities, ur enjoyable life in BKK. You'll get the very most beautiful girl for nearly nothing. You have a very nice time in BKK (Like I had) but pls.don't forget that the PM of TH is only working in his pocket. Sure he made something nice in TH, bring some growing to the economy, but that was not difficult cause to the nearly stillstand of the economy growth in western countries. Somewhere the excisting money must go. I still believe more in our independent western newspapers like the Washington Post, the German Spiegel, the french Le Figaro and and and ....( sorry no british, cause they don't know what they're writing). :)

Are u sure about free press in TH. Me not. I have much more information and experience about free press in TH then most of you. Just look at my profile and u'lll know whom I'm working for. But doesn't matter. U don't know better. U just see ur job, ur opportunities, ur enjoyable life in BKK.

Gee, Khun Ko, that's a bit of an arrogant response. First, xnine doesn't live here, so he's posing a question and offering some limited opinion based on what he admits is limited knowledge and experience. So why rub his nose in the mud with your I know so much more than you do attitude?

Also, xnine didn't say anything about the papers being completely free, only of good standard. And, despite the serious erosion of press and media freedom here during the past few years, compared to most other newspapers in the Southeast Asia region, the Post and The Nation still are of relatively good standard, in my opinion.

That's not to say they aren't without their faults, they have plenty of faults. But I think if you knew what really went on at the Washington Post, Der Spiegel, etc., you would be surprised at how many faults they have also, even if they are in a higher league than the BP Post or The Nation.

That's not to say they aren't without their faults, they have plenty of faults. But I think if you knew what really went on at the Washington Post, Der Spiegel, etc., you would be surprised at how many faults they have also, even if they are in a higher league than the BP Post or The Nation.

US Newspapers are ONE giant monopoly anymore,with control of the Television still being fought over by a few and all controled by greed. For 30 years I have gotten more info from canada or The brits then truth here!! Europe hears the news and we hear the painted lady of journalism.

An example: I have family living near Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania. It was a site of a huge nuclear disaster. Living in Florida at the time the News sources I had there and the ones who supplied my famly in PA told us it was under control, no danger ETC. BUt in Europe they heard it was extremely bad and reports of Mutant animals and mass farm animal miscarriages were rampant. Turns out alot of radioactive water etc was leaked. I was taught in School the press was part of our culture to tell the truth to protect our freedom with the wisdom to make the right choices. But it is now a corporate tool to secure the money making machinery. I imagine this is a problem in various degrees around the world. There is a large underground press but alas how much truth can we bear to hear.....and whos truth. have to read them all to even think ya know anything for real.

I know xnine100 is not to everyone's liking, but he did ask a legitimate question, even though it has been discussed before (but he probably gave no thought to searching for it before he came here -- discovering the 2 newspapers existed only upon arrival). If you want to give the guy some stick, fine, I have no problem with that. But as I said, he did ask a legitimate (if somewhat hackneyed) question and was not being offensive. So by way of a legitimate answer, I read both papers, but have a leaning towards The Nation because it takes a much more uncompromising line against the government than the Post, which has as one of its major shareholders a close ally of the primevil minister (but that is a topic for another day). I've also never forgotten the bravery The Nation displayed after the February 1991 coup and especially during the May 1992 uprising, for which it rightly won international awards.

Dex.