Vientiane to Luang Prabang

mojoo21

Hi ,

Can anyone suggest the name of a travel agent for me? I'll be starting a trip from Udorn Thani and I?m interested in arranging travel over land from Vientiane to Luang Prabang and possibly returning to Thailand via ferry Luang Prabang and Huay Xai - thanks

I did VT to LP in 1994 - the year they announced LP would be a world heritage site. We simply went down to the docks in VT and talked to a few guys. After a bit we met a captain of a cargo boat going to China. He agreed to take us for a small fee. We talked to the harbor master (with help from captain) and got sorted out after some fees.

The trip was great. It can be done if one is polite and respectful and pays the right people. It requires Thai language skills and Lao language skills are even better.

Nowadays I have no idea how it works. But I am sure if you just go there and look around and ask around people will understand what you want to do.

Anything is possible in this part of the world.

I am going on the same trip as you in 3 weeks time. I will be hashing and partying with the Vientiane HHH (free spirited club for drinkers with a running problem) on the weekend 18-20/9. Then we are renting small motor bikes and setting off to Luang Prabang via Vang Vieng and the Plain of Jars. Then ride the bike around LP for a few dayss before flying to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat in Siem Reap. We are using Remote Asia Travels as our agents. So far they seem very proffesionel. Contact Jim and he will sort you out.

http://www.remoteasia.com/

Happy holidays

Mr_Blue_Eyes

better bet is to go from lp to vt. there are regularly scheduled tourist boats that go downstream, and travel by boat is much more pleasant than by bus.

the buses are typically a form of mild torture, especially if you get a minibus. slight chance of encountering gangsters or militants still i'd imagine (haven't heard of any incidents in a while though) so if you take a bus, daytime travel is usually better.

just in case you're considering it, you can give vang vieng a miss unless you've always wanted to try opium coffee or you have missed a few episodes of "friends" and want to catch up....