What Day Is Today ? II

SweetieBabie

It's still the 16th in the US of A:

"On July 16, 1969, Apollo 11, carrying astronauts Neil Armstrong, Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin Jr. and Michael Collins, blasted off from Cape Kennedy, Fla., on the first manned mission to the surface of the moon."

AND

NASA announces today that they have *erased* the original moon footage...

http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2009/07/16/nasa_refurbishes_video_copies_of_moon_landing

"In 1945, the United States exploded its first experimental atomic bomb, in the desert of Alamogordo, N.M."

"In 1979, Saddam Hussein became president of Iraq."

"Ten years ago: John F. Kennedy Jr., his wife, Carolyn, and her sister, Lauren Bessette, died when their single-engine plane, piloted by Kennedy, plunged into the Atlantic Ocean near Martha's Vineyard, Mass."

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to get back on Nico's good side;

17th July 1453 ? Hundred Years' War: Battle of Castillon: The French under Jean Bureau defeat the English under the Earl of Shrewsbury, who is killed in the battle in Gascony.

:D:D

Go France!!!

On a more sombre note, today also marks the start of the Spanish Civil War in 1936. So I would like to remember all the brave volunteers of the International Brigade, along with the Spanish Republicans themselves, who lost their lives in the fight against fascism. Some volunteers, such as the Dutch, lost their citizenship for fighting in a 'foreign' army.

international-brigade-flag.jpg

On a more sombre note, today also marks the start of the Spanish Civil War in 1936. So I would like to remember all the brave volunteers of the International Brigade, along with the Spanish Republicans themselves, who lost their lives in the fight against fascism. Some volunteers, such as the Dutch, lost their citizenship for fighting in a 'foreign' army.

another civil war in which the irish once again fought on both f**king sides !!

and the fascist twats got blessings from the catholic church in ireland .... as did franco in spain !!!

another civil war in which the irish once again fought on both f**king sides !!

and the fascist twats got blessings from the catholic church in ireland .... as did franco in spain !!!

nothing civil about it once the Oirish get involved!!! :lol:

"Ten years ago: John F. Kennedy Jr., his wife, Carolyn, and her sister, Lauren Bessette, died when their single-engine plane, piloted by Kennedy, plunged into the Atlantic Ocean near Martha's Vineyard, Mass."

July really isn't a good month for the Kennedys.

18th July 1969 ? After a party on Chappaquiddick Island, Senator Ted Kennedy from Massachusetts drives an Oldsmobile off a bridge and his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, dies.

• 4 weeks later...

Woodstock Music & Art Fair (informally, Woodstock or The Woodstock Festival) was a music festival, billed as "An Aquarian Exposition", held at Max Yasgur's 600 acre dairy farm in the rural town of Bethel, New York from August 15 to August 18, 1969. Bethel, in Sullivan County, is 43 miles (69 km) southwest of the town of Woodstock, New York, in adjoining Ulster County.

Thirty-two acts performed during the sometimes rainy weekend in front of nearly half a million concertgoers. It is widely regarded as one of the greatest moments in popular music history and was listed on Rolling Stone's 50 Moments That Changed the History of Rock and Roll.[2]

The event was captured in a successful 1970 documentary movie, Woodstock; an accompanying soundtrack album; and Joni Mitchell's song "Woodstock", which commemorated the event and became a major hit for Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

535x.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
you are such a geek.

Only reason I knew it was the question was asked on quiz show the other night - had always presumed would be US so was surprised it was London...

However, to keep Vladimir happy, here are some obscure facts;

Watch Raiders of the Lost Ark at the part where Indy is in a snake pit and in the background you can see hieroglyphics of C3PO and R2D2 on one of the walls.

The role of Dirty Harry was offered to Frank Sinatra, John Wayne, and Paul Newman, all of whom turned it down, before Clint Eastwood finally said yes.

The original Oxford English Dictionary defined terrorism as, "government by intimidation."

There are more plastic flamingos in the United States than real ones.

Technically, bananas are herbs.

The word avocado comes from the Aztec word ahuacate, meaning testicle

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliaphobia is the fear of long words.

:shock:

What Day Is Today?

Definitely "Good Karma" day!!!

- stucked for several hours somewhere between BKK and Ayutthaya..because we had a flat tire.

- been hit in the face by a "car jack" because the driver didn't know what clockwise means.

- noticed that I can't eat because I can't open my mouth anymore.

- found this piece of information in my suite

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/3227/img0451c.jpg

=)

What Day Is Today?

- stucked for several hours somewhere between BKK and Ayutthaya..because we had a flat tire.

- been hit in the face by a "car jack" because the driver didn't know what clockwise means.

=)

:lol:....Ooops ! sorry.. I mean .. :x

What Day Is Today?

=)

Why didn't you take the boat back to BKK???

Soi Cowboy... :shock:

Oh, I forgot to wish you happy vacations....

Btw: Are you better now? :cheers:

May be it's time to visit a temple, Toma. :)

anywayz

It is Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September (September 7 in 2009).

so enjoy your holiday. (and a labor day SALE)

Traditionally, Labor Day is celebrated by most Americans as the symbolic end of the summer. The holiday is often regarded as a day of rest and parades. Labor Day marks the beginning of the NFL and college football seasons.