Book/Reading Club

CiaranM

ok ok .... new thread for Book Club.

hope to get 10-20 ppl willing to meet up once a month.

meet bar/coffee shop .... maybe somewhere with a small meeting room.

members take turns to select a title each month.

read the book, discuss at next meeting and select title for next month.

anybody interested .... any other ideas feel free to comment !!!!

I want to join but can't effort to fly to BKK every month for the meeting. Can members outside TH join the club?

we'll start a European branch Nicky!

Hey, that's good idea. We meet every month here, read the same book as the group in TH and talk about it via the forum. (I think I can effort to fly to UK but not every month, I'm busy with my shits, you see :lol: )

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to join but can't effort to fly to BKK every month for the meeting. Can members outside TH join the club?

i suggested we could also run a forum each month to disuss the selected title ... something similar to what hobbes does for the photo comp !!!

Lovely! Count me in.

Can we start with soemthing Toni Morrison?

ps. I think the club should have a name.

we'll start a European branch Nicky!

I'm busy with my sh*ts, you see

nasty. Hope you have been to the doctors or chemist?

:wink:

what if the book is a film as well? combo club?

Another great idea. Take "beloved" for exp. It's a movie also (and I think Oprah lost lots money on this).

Haven't read Tarbaby yet. I started "Song of solomon" in 2001 or so and never finished it, the book disappears when I move from one to another apartment. Pitty!!

PS if you like Toni Morrisson you may like Rosa Guy and Mildred E Taylor

Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred E taylor

The Friends by Rosa Guy

Thank you. Gonna borrow those books from a library. Love library system in DK, all I have to do is go to their website, reserve any book I prefer and a few days later I go pick it up from a library nearby my house. Easy mak mak!!

another interesting writter, S.P Somtow. (my favorite) http://somtow.net/bookstore.html

Jasmine nights is highly recommend to those who like something Thai : http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?products_id=81

Jasmine nights has Thai version also. Its Thai version was traslated by S.P Somtow's mother. Maybe this book is a good idea for the club to start with.

another interesting writter, S.P Somtow. (my favorite) http://somtow.net/bookstore.html

Jasmine nights is highly recommend to those who like something Thai : http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?products_id=81

Jasmine nights has Thai version also. Its Thai version was traslated by S.P Somtow's mother. Maybe this book is a good idea for the club to start with.

Khun Somtow is the conductor of my orchestra, the Siam Symphony. He is an amazing man, yet I've never read any of his books.

Great idea, Nicky.

so should i post an event for 2nd wednesday in october (14th) and then the 2nd wednesday of every month after that ???

i'll check out the coffee corner in the bookshop and if it's suitable and acceptable to all, we'll use that as our meeting point.

cheers Ciaran

on 9-ball night?

:cry:

geeezzz guys .... i play 8-ball on mondayand have football training on a tuesday and thursday !!

it's gonna be 1 night a month ... so let me know which night ppl prefer !!!!

Ciaran, you're full of surprises. who'd a thought you'd cook up something so... nerdy? well played, that.

i like the idea but i'm so far off the deep end of the nerdy scale that best sellers rarely make my 'must read' list, and i'd hate to impose the obscure stuff i read on a wider audience who have not willingly sought out that sort of thing...

If books and beverages are your requirements than this place looks like it's made for this club. 8)

Oh I've been there, such a lovely place.

f**king hell .... did u see the pic of the girl in the coffee corner ????

i'll go check it out this weekend ... only because it looks like an ideal spot for ur book club !!!! :twisted:

Oh yeah I do believe you Ciaran but keep your naughty mind low a little bit.. otherwise all girls there will be noticed and runaway. :twisted:

I can't see any girl in any corner but I sometimes miss the girl in the corner.

Which pic? I do quite like the bunny eating pic looking at the British Food book.

how about the bible - start with Book of Revelations

Read it, boring!

i thought it was some cool sh*t, but The Oddysey was like, way cooler...

Have to agree, and perhaps (at some point) a combination of The Iliad and The Odyssey would be an unusual, but enlightening, choice for the club. (but would have to agree on which version to read)

:)

Ciaran, you're full of surprises. who'd a thought you'd cook up something so... nerdy? well played, that.

i like the idea but i'm so far off the deep end of the nerdy scale that best sellers rarely make my 'must read' list, and i'd hate to impose the obscure stuff i read on a wider audience who have not willingly sought out that sort of thing...

well if we get enough ppl interested could have 2 picks per 1 month ...

1 for normal consumption and 1 for the obscure less read stuff .... one my reasons for the club is so i might read stuff i wouldn't normally pick up on ....

btw .... Rule No. 1 ... no f**king Dan Brown !!!

Khun Somtow is the conductor of my orchestra, the Siam Symphony. He is an amazing man, yet I've never read any of his books.

Great idea, Nicky.

Can you please tell him to reply my email? :D I have been stallking him for ages.