Book/Reading Club

CiaranM

It's really happening, right?

Ciaran never lie, right? :P

it's happening !!! bug & bee silom/sala daeng 7pm wednesday evening !!!

8 people signed up so far ... now when's that poland invading, beer swilling german Jens gonna sign up ???

no point asking Nico as he's not allowed out by himself after 9pm !!! :roll: :roll:

There, happy now! :P

And yes LG, please bring the Stone DVD set if you could. Ta. :)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speaking of which. Can someone lend me a private dancer on tomorrow?

ehhhhh .... is that the book or do u want to borrow a dancer for a private show ???? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

According the TF T&Cs, Section 48© part (iv);

"in the event that a TF member attending a TF event requests a private dance at said event then the obligation will be on the TF member who postsed the event to comply with the request at the premises of said TF event. The duration and style of the dance shall be at the discretion of the requestee."

There bathrooms at B&B are a good size. And I am sure it will not be the first time such a dance has occured in one of those bathrooms.

ehhhhh .... is that the book or do u want to borrow a dancer for a private show ???? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

"in the event that a TF member attending a TF event requests a private dance at said event then the obligation will be on the TF member who postsed the event to comply with the request at the premises of said TF event. The duration and style of the dance shall be at the discretion of the requestee."

There bathrooms at B&B are a good size. And I am sure it will not be the first time such a dance has occured in one of those bathrooms.

I will book baht room on the 3rd floor...

I have only one problem... I don't have book to share, can I just join? I don't have many books naa, I bought only Dreamweaver, Joomla, How to build a website... and e-learning.. I'm serious na.

I will book baht room on the 3rd floor...

I have only one problem... I don't have book to share, can I just join? I don't have many books naa, I bought only Dreamweaver, Joomla, How to build a website... and e-learning.. I'm serious na.

u don't need to have any book to share bCool .... club is mainly to discuss books/authors we enjoy and if members agree we'll select 1 (or 2 titles) a month which we can all read and then discuss at the next meeting.

if members want to borrow/swap/lend books among themselves that's great.

i reckon i must have about 300 books and i don't mind lending them out as long as they r returned !!!

a few suggestions for books we could select for this months choice .... other thoughts r welcomed !!!

the time travellers wife / her fearful symmetry - audrey niffeneger

the white tiger - aravind adiga

beloved - toni morrison

roll of thunder, hear my cry - mildred d. taylor

jasmine nights - s.p. somton

i saw ramallah - mourid barghouti

last chance to see - douglas adams & mark carwardine

three cups of tea - greg mortenson & david oliver relin

the kite runner - khaled hosseini

a few suggestions for books we could select for this months choice .... other thoughts r welcomed !!!

the time travellers wife / her fearful symmetry - audrey niffeneger

the white tiger - aravind adiga

beloved - toni morrison

roll of thunder, hear my cry - mildred d. taylor

i saw ramallah - mourid barghouti

last chance to see - douglas adams & mark carwardine

three cups of tea - greg mortenson & david oliver relin

the kite runner - khaled hosseini

Oh man, even humourless Germans and satire-resistant 'meriCans will wet their pants laughing at DA & MC going native doing a David Attenborough. :lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol:

Did you make reservation?

Sometime I found it was fulled...

3rd floor is the best.

Yes you should perhaps book the 2 tables and section nearest the front window but it doesn't open until 7pm usually so you should be ok.

I will book baht room on the 3rd floor....

I guess that the back up plan is that you have booked the bathroom already so everyone can squeeze in there whilst Ciaran does his dance!

Looking forward to the Youtube!

As I said before, jasmine nights could be a good start for the club. Admin knows SP.Somtow, it should be interesting if Admin could invite him to meet with us.

As I said before, jasmine nights could be a good start for the club. Admin knows SP.Somtow, it should be interesting if Admin could invite him to meet with us.

That's a great idea. I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Actually, I'll wait a bit until you guys are sure you want to do something like that. He is a very open and friendly man, though a bit eccentric at times (aren't all music/art geniuses that way?).

I think he would be open to doing something like this, but I'll check with him if and when you guys are sure.

Actually, I'll wait a bit until you guys are sure you want to do something like that. He is a very open and friendly man, though a bit eccentric at times (aren't all music/art geniuses that way?).

I think he would be open to doing something like this, but I'll check with him if and when you guys are sure.

well book selected last night was the time travellers wife - audrey niffeneger ... Tonia's selection and i wasn't going to argue with her !! :roll:

as for meeting SP. Somtow sounds like a great idea for the 2nd or 3rd meeting .... either before or after we read the book !! what do others think !!

btw .... thanks to Jim, Jens, Neung, Tonia and Dtan for coming along last night .... was a good 1st meeting and made a pleasant change !! now get reading !!!!!!!!!!

well book selected last night was the time travellers wife - audrey niffeneger ... Tonia's selection and i wasn't going to argue with her !! :roll:

as for meeting SP. Somtow sounds like a great idea for the 2nd or 3rd meeting .... either before or after we read the book !! what do others think !!

btw .... thanks to Jim, Jens, Neung, Tonia and Dtan for coming along last night .... was a good 1st meeting and made a pleasant change !! now get reading !!!!!!!!!!

I signed up for the event but regrettably got stuck at work putting out a fire.

I hope to pick up a copy of the book and make the next meeting.

9780099464464.jpgtime-travelers-wife-export-edition.jpg

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Paperback: 560 pages (approx)

Publisher: Mariner Books; Reprint edition

Language: English

ISBN-10: 015602943X

ISBN-13: 978-0156029438

We can switch it around each month, fiction, non-fiction, romance, bestsellers, biographies, asian literature, travel books, classics.. etc etc.

All new participants welcome on the next event :)

no worries Jay and Jack .... hope to see U guys at next meeting !!

Neung ... Elefin coffee shop looks good to me !!!

Very rarely do books stay in my mind for longer than a few days after reading them unless they are of extremely high quality, interesting me at the same time as drawing me so deeply into the plot that I can't seperate myself from the world that has been created. Then I stumbled across The Time Traveller's Wife. My mum had bought the book and hadn't yet gotten around to reading it (and it would take her three years to do so before she finally succumbed to my incessant pestering) so I temporarily claimed it for my own.

The plot is, at its core, a love story. Niffeneger tells the story of Clare Abshire and Henry DeTamble, the latter of whom suffers from a rare chromosonic disorder that causes him to disappear from his present day to reappear in his past, although, on occasion, he does take a jaunt into the future where he learns a disturbing truth. The story is told from both Henry and Clare's point of view and in three parts - where Clare and Henry meet in the present day and Henry has no knowledge of the girl he had befriended when she was a little girl; their married life makes up part two and part three, the shortest, tells the story of Clare, Henry and Alba following a family tragedy, and somewhat inevitable tragedy.

The book is beautifully constructed and flows easily, despite the changing time periods. The characters are fleshed out and believable and you can't help but feel Clare's sadness when Henry disappears, leaving her alone, or Henry's fear that one day he might not return to his wife. There is a certain admirable quality to the way that Clare desperately tries to form a normal life with her less than normal husband, refusing to sacrifice anything. There are a few points that require discussion, such as a thirty-something Henry befriending a six-year-old Clare and the years that subsequently follows - grooming springs to mind - but other than that, it is a thoroughly enthralling story, one that I cannot recommend highly enough.

If you only ever read one book this year then let it be this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Travelers-Wife-Audrey-Niffenegger/dp/0099464462/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254970581&sr=1-1

We can switch it around each month, fiction, non-fiction, romance, bestsellers, biographies, asian literature, travel books, classics.. etc etc.

I read that book already :thumbleft:

I read that book already :thumbleft:

well read it again then !!!! that's what i'm doing !!!!