TF - photos gallery

pandorea

Should TF-photo gallery has a theme monthly or not?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should TF-photo gallery has a theme monthly or not?

• Yes, please
    • No, thanks
    • Once in awhile, like every 3 months or such

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I send you a pm Nicky but thought I may just add my 2 satang here as well in case people wonder why I'm not on that Flickr group (and may jump to some rather wrong conclusions :wink: ).

I really like the idea and sure will have a look in from time to time to see what you folks are posting. Sadly I won't be joining though. :cry:

I already have a pro account on Zooomr which I use for all my personal photos. Having one web-based photo deposit is plenty for me and I'm very happy with Zooomr too.

If Flickr wasn't part of Yahoo I would probably have created an account there for this but since I do feel quite strongly about Yahoo's spineless appeasement in China I'm afraid I can not.

Not much of loss anyway since my shots on average are crap as it is. :lol:

Have fun kiddos.

8)

Thank you.

Uptil now we have got 14 members. Lovely. You can upload your favorite pictures from now til 12/10 and after that we post a new theme. For now you can upload up to 20 pictures/week, after we have more members let's say 50+ the numbers of picture/1 member will be less.

Here is the link to see TF-photos gallery. http://www.flickr.com/groups/shutternuts

Here is my idea of how we choose our theme monthly . Every members on the TF-photo gallery suggest a theme on this thread and we shall vote for it.

Theme suggestion : date 1-5 of every month

Voting : date 6-12

You put your pictures on the gallery : date 12-30(or 31)

It's fixed-schedule. Every theme suggestion must be done on this thread and we will vote on the shutternuts forum only. No theme suggestion or vote on flickr.

Any comment or suggestion is welcome.

1 comment and 1 question.

Putting a theme and voting every month turns what is a photo gallery into something very formal. I thought the purpose of the Flickr site was just to share pictures that we like.

I think the theme idea is fine, but I don't like the schedule or the voting. I am in favor of a more relaxed approached. Maybe use the shutternuts forum to announce a theme by the photographer or just to notify members that new pictures were posted. It could be several themes in a month or no theme at all and just great pictures.

Now to my question: Does anyone know of a way to get automatically notified by Flickr of new pictures being posted to the group?

Now to my question: Does anyone know of a way to get automatically notified by Flickr of new pictures being posted to the group?

If you add people in the group into your contact list, you will get an e-mail from Flickr if your friends post new pics. That's what I know. Maybe others know better than me?

You receive flickr email when;

invitations and notifications are sent to you, someone makes you their contact people send you personal messages, people comment on your photostream, your contacts upload new photos or video.

You can edit which email you receive - You > Your Account > Email

If you go 'home' i.e 'www.flickr.com' when you are signed in you will see all the recent activity on your home page. There are then further options i.e Recent Activity, Group Activity etc. I think it's done this way as many flickr users typically are members of many groups so an overview of group activity works better. I found the best way is to just visit your group regularly and check.

I would suggest limiting the number of uploads to 1 per day. That way photos will spend longer on the front page before being bumped off and people will have more time to comment or start discussions on them and there will be photos from a greater variety of users on the front page and it will encourage regular activity - might make it more interesting. Just a suggestion.

I would suggest limiting the number of uploads to 1 per day. That way photos will spend longer on the front page before being bumped off and people will have more time to comment or start discussions on them and there will be photos from a greater variety of users on the front page and it will encourage regular activity - might make it more interesting. Just a suggestion.

I agree on this, but 1 pic/day is too little number. I changed it to 3 pic/day, for now and this might be less in the future, when we have more members.

Putting a theme and voting every month turns what is a photo gallery into something very formal. I thought the purpose of the Flickr site was just to share pictures that we like.

I think the theme idea is fine, but I don't like the schedule or the voting. I am in favor of a more relaxed approached. Maybe use the shutternuts forum to announce a theme by the photographer or just to notify members that new pictures were posted. It could be several themes in a month or no theme at all and just great pictures.

IMO, a theme for the group will make it more interesting. If we want to upload pictures we like, we can upload them on our flickr profiles and we can have our floders on our profiles.

About the schedule thing, that's just me. I like things by organized. I like planing. and I think the schedule makes things easier for you. ;)

Anyway, if any one don't like the idea of voting and theme thing, please let me know.

IMO, a theme for the group will make it more interesting. If we want to upload pictures we like, we can upload them on our flickr profiles and we can have our floders on our profiles.

About the schedule thing, that's just me. I like things by organized. I like planing. and I think the schedule makes things easier for you. ;)

Anyway, if any one don't like the idea of voting and theme thing, please let me know.

have to agree with Petey on this one.

We already have the formal structure of the competition; I believe that the group on flickr should be much more informal; no schedules, no voting. Though I do think some sort of monthly limit on number of shots uploaded may be a good idea.

:)

I agree that having themes could make it more interesting but I think the idea of a group is that it already has a theme so I think I'll have to agree with Petey too.

It's not possible to have seperate folders within a group so it might become messy and hard to distinguish between themes and photos kept in folders on personal profiles that aren't in the current theme won't get the exposure as people will need to search individual profiles to see them which defeats the object of having a group.

Other than that, the theme idea might result in less photos being added to the group because some members might feel they don't have a photo that fits the theme.

Schedules.. usually said in the same sentence as 'deadline' just means sleepless nights for me :)

Just a few points and suggestions - I'll go with the flow

We could just have a vote on whether or not to have themes and voting..

Whatever Nicky decides is fine with me.

but only if she's wearing her Botticelli knee high patent leather boots with the Gerbe back seam fishnets and Vollers leather corset. 8)

More to the point: I'd rather do photography than discuss it to death.

Oh, wait . . . I forgot for a second . . . this is TF . . . :roll:

I understand your points and I think we can settle down with something in the middle. Let me say, we don't have theme in the begining but when pictures in the group pool getting messy, then we shall have a theme. Does this sound good to you all?

So, dear members, please keep posting "your favorite pictures" on http://www.flickr.com/groups/shutternuts

:D

p.s it's been nearly 24 hours without a cigarette, I'm getting restless!!! :cry: