Protect your computer for free

Niranahm

Since a couple of years security experts are arguing if a Personal/Desktop Firewall really is useful for PC security or even leading to more risk. Search google for their opinion. Anyways, don't use Zonealarm. It seems to be one of the worst PFW/DFW. If you really want to use a Firewall, use Comodo (Free) or Outpost (Commercial).

Anyways, the best way to secure your computer:

- Only surf and work with user rights but never with administrator rights. So use two accounts, one for surfing and working and a second one for administration. If you get any virus or malware then, it cannot affect any important system parts.

- Only use, what really need to use. Means: Don't install anything you do not really need. Uninstall everything you do not need. Shutdown and deactivate any services you do not really need.

- Keep your system up to date. Always install any new updated for Windows, Office, your Antivirus Software and any other program, as they will fix security lacks.

- Use an antivirus software, Antivir or Avast recommended. Keep it up to date!

- Don't use Internet Explorer. User Firefox or Opera instead!

- Activate the option that you can see the file extension for all files. If you download or get a file with .EXE, .BAT, .COM, .PIF or even .DOC, better don't open it, if you did not really requested it. These file types can be bad executable code.

- Use your brain! Don't drive a car without a driver license! Inform yourself about computer stuff. Don't download or open anything, which you do not really know. Most of the virus and malware stuff is send by e-mail or messenger. Keep you eyes open!

@ the girl with the virus/malware: Backup your personal files. Then install a complete new Windows System on your computer (which usually will erase everything) and set it up like mentioned above.

Some good tips here. No matter what safeguards you have on your system, you need to use some common sense. All the warnings in the world won't help a person who is just plain stupid... So many people in my MSN contact list have obvious worms/trojans on their systems. I use my laptop with admin privileges only because I'm reasonably knowledgeable of what's fishy looking. Although, I know I should probably be using less than admin rights. I'd suggest not using IE as well. Firefox has its OWN set of problems though. Opera is probably the most secure IMHO. Zonealarm is a turd. I use Comodo on my system. If you're looking for an AV product, grab Kaspersky. No question the best of them all. The biggest problem with installing all the latest updates to Windows for people in Thailand is that most people I know are using a pirated version of the OS. Microsoft has snuck some "updates" in that find out if you're using a real version of Windows or not and will disable your computer if you're not. If you're going to update a pirated version of Windows, it's best to look up the "codes" of all updates on google and see what they do. Otherwise, you might be looking at a severely crippled OS.

Si66bkk: where you download it? Any preferences considering the content? Mosaic or not? Screamers or loud whiners? I don't like how often they are so too unshaven....brrrr and those enema things and scopes inside places they should not be....send me some bad chills down my spine. But all and all, that is usefull use for HD space definetly, shaven or not, mosaic or not, still better than Windows Xp! :)

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...
Download a free package called Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector).

It patches all the non-Windows stuff you might have on your PC like Adobe, Chrome, etc.

But try to get version 2.0 because 3.0 is fully automated (user is stupid so program has to do everything) and does not show you all the interesting info you can see in the older version.