Dok kra jeaw: Mystery solved

bkkris

Last night I had a delicious meal at an outdoor place near Thonglor on Sukhumvit called something 55. Two of the dishes were made from light green closed flowers that are called something like "dok kra jeaw." Does anyone know the proper Thai and English name of these flowers, and the most delicious dishes they are used in? One of mine was spicy in some kind of thin brown sauce with lots of fried onions and some boiled egg on the side. The other was served cold with thin rice noodles and egg.

I'd love to be able to order again.

Thank you.

And Thai food is one of the many wonderful things about Thai culture!

Periboea,

You are right about them being called lady's fingers or okra. But usually in the west we eat the part you have pictured. I got the flowers in my dish. That's what caused the confusion.

Anyway, I highly recommend dishes with this food, especially to vegetarians. I got mine at a streetside retaurant on Sukhumvit near Thonglor called (Thai word) 55. :roll:

From a Thai friend:

I love those flowers too! They are called Dok Kra Jeaw in Thai; they also make some good north indian dishes with that stuff. Really uncertain what they are called in English but i think its similar to 'ladies' fingers' or 'okra'. I havent seen much of it in a while.