My laptop hates me! Can anybody help

Guest hungrycentipede

Guest hungrycentipede

Hi everybody,

I have a reasonably modern laptop. It's my life and I can hardly live more than a few days without it. At the moment its overheating like crazy and just switching off without warning once in a while.

It's driving me insane. The problem i have is that the laptop is not branded. Every place I've been to so far refuses to even take a look at it. Do you know of any specific shops in Bangkok who might be able to help me out?

If it isn't fixed soon I'll have to send the damn thing back to England and buy a desktop computer to keep me going for a month :-(.

Also the non-standard battery hasnt worked for 8 months so i really need a replacement.

Thanks for your help.

Hi man.......ic you got big problem.... overheating is bad sign, the problem can be that ur build in fan is not working good. I think you should go to Pantip plaza , you will find some good shop , who would help you fix it.

Hi everybody,

I have a reasonably modern laptop. It's my life and I can hardly live more than a few days without it. At the moment its overheating like crazy and just switching off without warning once in a while.

It's driving me insane. The problem i have is that the laptop is not branded. Every place I've been to so far refuses to even take a look at it. Do you know of any specific shops in Bangkok who might be able to help me out?

If it isn't fixed soon I'll have to send the damn thing back to England and buy a desktop computer to keep me going for a month :-(.

Also the non-standard battery hasnt worked for 8 months so i really need a replacement.

Thanks for your help.

I agree with Rid, it could be that your CPU fan is no longer working OR....

it's overheating due to some process running on your computer. If you're running Windows (I assume you are) try accesssing the Task Manager (cntrl+alt+del) and then view what your CPU is doing, have a look at the CPU Utilisation, also sort on highest CPU usage, you will see a list of running exe's . I had an issue a while back where my laptop would overheat and it was caused by a program, not sure why but it would send the CPU to 100%.

In order to protect the PC most PC's will automatically shut down when it gets too hot.

• 2 weeks later...

Check if you have any additional memory in there, also check what speed your HDD runs. Some unbranded threw in high speed drives withour the necessary cooling.

In the Bios or Power management should be an option to set the Fan always on when on AC POWER mark that one.

Check if you have speed step enabled and the latest Power managemtn to support all Power features, of your Notebook.

Test to remove the battery and run it only on AC, sometimes a charging battery produces a lot of heat.

There are a couple of Freeware and shareware programms to lower the performance of a NB, check if you need speed or power and than adjust it.

Check also the size and manufacturer of the fan, they can be replaced with more powerfull ones.

Arkon

Guest hungrycentipede

Thanks guys for your help.

I took it to a shop on the ground floor of pantip and it turns out the controller was broken and the battery. The guys did a good job repairing it despite it taking 2 days more than they told me. They also damaged the keyboard and left a key loose hoping i wouldnt notice.

Im pleased its all sorted now though, i felt like a pparent sending his child away for adoption when i left it in the shop.

LOL My ******* Compaq Presario Garbage 1500 has been overheating since I bought the junk. Works well in subzero temperature. Sitting in a hotelroom with A/C at max with your coat on is not my thing. Compaq never replied but internet searches says I am not alone...................... Never a Compaq again!

@dojib854

Your wish came true

Never a Compaq again!
This company doesnt exist anymore since 2 years now.

When you buy crap crap is what you get, the Presario 1500 is the lowest low end in the Compaq range.

Same goes for you, do you have additinal hardware in the LAptop? PC cards, memory? faster HDD?

Does it work fine when you take the Battery out? The old Nimm akkus tend tu produce some additnal heat when they are fully charged and over charge.

Arkon