New Camera Recommendations?

Admin_2

Exactly, lol.

I held the T2i yesterday, but even that felt bulky. I've never had a real camera, so I doubt I'll feel comfortable with anything for less than a week.

Then check out the new Sony NEX-5N with the 18mm-200mm lens. It'll feel funny because it is basically all lens, but it has the APS-C sensor size, the same size as the Canon, or Nikon DSLRs you are looking at. It also takes full HD video, like the D5100.

The video comparing the T2i with the T3i failed to mention anything about the big improvements in software, mainly noise reduction at high ISO's that was improved on with the T3i, something the new Sony improved on, and the D5100 excels in.

For image quality Nikon, Canon, and Sony are at the top. Put any of them on a tripod, and you can also shoot major motion picture quality HD video if you want, and with a child video is not something to overlook.

Portability is all in getting used to taking whatever you get with you. Be it grabbing a camera bag, or just the camera with lens. It's just a matter of getting used to it as a fixture attached to your arm. Your married now so you have a free hand that isn't flipping pages, and grabbing your di......oh you get the idea.

With the D5100, the Sony NEX-5N, or the Canon you do have the ability with the right lenses to shoot pro level quality that if you choose is salable. Something to think about when you consider the quality issue of what you buy. No reason to get something that doesn't meet the quality factor if you want good pictures for yourself.

There is absolutely no reason to compromise on picture quality if you are going to get a good camera. This is one of the minor drawbacks about Canon, they make 2 classes of lens, one for consumers, then their "L" series lenses for pro shooting, and there is a huge price difference, with a noticable picture quality difference. The other 2 makers don't do this. Just something to keep in mind if you go with Canon.

I still recommend the D5100 with a 18mm-105mm lens, or the Sony NEX-5N (the "N" is the new model that just came out) with the 18mm-200mm lens.

Something to keep in mind also if you want a high quality camera (picture quality) is to go with an APS-C size sensor at the minimum. Anything smaller, and the image quality goes down as the sensor size gets smaller.

DPReview.com, and POPPhoto.com are very good review sites to compare any cameras you consider getting. With DPReview.com you can select different cameras, and compare them side by side, they also do extensive camera testing, more so than PopPhoto does now.

Exactly, lol.

I held the T2i yesterday, but even that felt bulky. I've never had a real camera, so I doubt I'll feel comfortable with anything for less than a week.

I guess you would really hate my camera then. I just added a battery grip which gives it more weight and size. For my DSLR I like having a camera that feels solid. Even if it's a little heavier and bulky than smaller cameras it just feels more natural and I think it helps a little in steadying shots.

I guess you would really hate my camera then. I just added a battery grip which gives it more weight and size. For my DSLR I like having a camera that feels solid. Even if it's a little heavier and bulky than smaller cameras it just feels more natural and I think it helps a little in steadying shots.

But I'm not a recovering crack addict, nor am I planning on taking (many) pics while riding a bull.

koolbreez, never missing out on a chance to be informative and helpful. Good stuff there, thanks.

You never really mentioned why you want a DSLR. If you've never had a "real" camera before I'm not sure you're getting the full value of what you pay extra for in a DSLR.

You might be better off with a high-end point and shoot like the Canon G12. Very high quality camera but you can't add lenses and such. But if you're not going to be Mr. Photo Dude then it might not matter.

I mean, if you're complaining about the bulk of a T2i are you really going to plunk down another $1000 on a 70-200 lens? The lens weighs more than the camera. But it gives you some kick-ass long distance shots.

Typically, if you're going out for a day of shooting then more than 50% of the time you're going to want to shoot two different lenses. If just the camera body with the kit lens feels too bulky what are the chances that you're going to be bringing multiple lenses with you?

Maybe a high-end point and shoot like the G12 might be more what you're looking for. It's not a little cheapie toy camera but it's smaller than a DSLR and the lens is pretty adequate for most casual shooting.

The video comparing the T2i with the T3i failed to mention anything about the big improvements in software, mainly noise reduction at high ISO's that was improved on with the T3i, something the new Sony improved on, and the D5100 excels in.

Firmware can be upgraded pretty easily. If the difference is not hardware based, Canon will either release an upgrade or a site like Magic Lantern will have a build that gives you the functionality.