Roy Jones JR

CiaranM

didn't see the fight, but judging by reports it seems like the time for RJJ has long since past ... getting beaten up now by guys who wouldn't have been fit to lace his gloves in his prime ... and yes i DO mean Calzaghe among others. i remember years ago watching him getting absolutely f**king robbed in an olympic final in korea .... judges should have been taken out and shot. and if memory serves me correctly he was actually judged boxer of the tournament !!

was an absolute legend, just a shame he carried on that little bit too long !!

report from the BBC.

Australian Danny Green produced a big shock by knocking out Roy Jones Jr in the first round of their IBO cruiserweight title fight in Sydney.

The 40-year-old Jones, who was seeking a ninth world title, was floored inside the first minute by a brutal punch.

Jones got up but Green continued the onslaught and the referee stopped the bout after two minutes, two seconds.

After only his sixth loss in 60 fights, Jones, who had eyed a bout with Bernard Hopkins, has hinted at retirement.

Jones Jr beat Hopkins to win his first world title in 1993 and floored Britain's Joe Calzaghe in the first round when the pair met for the Ring Magazine light heavyweight championship in New York in November 2008, before losing unanimously on points.

He has won eight world titles in four different weight divisions and has been referred to as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

But he was felled for only the third time in his career and succumbed to the quickest defeat of a professional career that began way back in 1989.

Green, who only came out of a 13-month retirement in April, was close to apologetic after winning his 28th fight out of 31, 25 of them by knockout.

"That almost hurt me to do that to someone whom I aspire to look up to as a professional fighter inside and outside the ring," he said.

"I am just overwhelmed - this is the greatest victory in my entire life."

Jones Jr is now unlikely to continue in the ring and said: "I have got to take my hat off to Danny, it was a great performance. I guess now I go back into retirement."

As you could imagine this is big news in Oz today! The way the fight went and the look on RJ Jnr's face when Danny hit him. But I do agree that he is past his prime. I think the Hopkins fight was marked for March 10???? It'll be interesting to see what Roy Jones Jr does.

As for Danny Green...this should open the door to the US market.......good thing he came out of retirement.....last night's fight earned him AUD$6 million.

unfortunately it's always the same story with boxers. The thing that makes them great... keeps them in the game too long! The film "Muhammed and Larry" is a great movie about the 1980 fight between Ali and Holmes. Ali was so past his prime it was very sad to watch. Great documentary though!