What is best wireless service provider for voice and data?

orion411

What is the best wireless service provider for voice and data?

I'll be living in Thailand from November through February. Spending time in Bangkok, Koh Tao and Krabi. I need to have good wireless service for making long calls to USA using Skype on my smartphone.

I'm told AIS has best coverage in all of Thailand. Is that true or is there better service?

Thank you,

Esteban

True has the most 3G coverage in Bangkok. But 3G is still fairly spotty so it's tough to say that you should select them on that alone. 3G is still being rolled out in Thailand and outside of concentrated areas 3G is a joke.

If you're going to be doing a lot of data-intensive stuff like VOIP/Skype, better to find WiFi hotspots.

True has the most 3G coverage in Bangkok. But 3G is still fairly spotty so it's tough to say that you should select them on that alone. 3G is still being rolled out in Thailand and outside of concentrated areas 3G is a joke.

If you're going to be doing a lot of data-intensive stuff like VOIP/Skype, better to find WiFi hotspots.

Agreed. You will sound like R2D2 at times on the 3G in Thailand. AIS does have the best coverage, but True typically has the best 3G. Skype calls can be made on it during certain hours at certain locations, but I wouldn't count on it for anything outside of calling people you don't actually want to talk to.