Learning A New Language..

uarewotueat

Imagine you are in the process of learning a new language and your not very good at it..

(this applies to any language you choose to name, English, Thai, German, whatever)..

Would you write/speak that language, even though you are not good at it???

For me, i would not ... I am learning Thai at the moment and i choose not to post in Thai.

Nor will i speak any Thai that i do not fully understand.

I believe it is important to understand the basic things well, before you move onto more complicated areas.

I like to see people (who's 1st language is not English) speak English well.

I will always dismiss the odd error (lets face it, it will never be 100% perfect)

But, i always try to correct my friends and try to explain the meaning and use of words, if i feel i wont embarras that person by doing so!

I like to help my friends and i am highly impressed by non native speakers who write/speak English well.

I understand that "practice makes perfect" but really, you should be of a reasonable standard before practising on public forums. IMAO.

So please forgive me for taking the metaphorical "piss" out of people such as Joeska and igor when they write incomprehensible sentences!

But i am not alone in my Joeska/igor bashing!

Sadly i think 90% of TF members miss the sarcasm/irony in alot of posts here.

Feel free to take the piss out of my use of language anytime you like, i wont take it personally. :twisted:

Note to all : Don't take yourselves too seriously! :wink:

I suppose that really depends on ones learning style. Obviously on some level you must be a perfectionist and are affraid of being called out in public when you do something wrong. Of course I could be wrong but your post certainly seems to give such evidence.

I am by no means a natural and learning languages, logic is more my bag, but alas I chose a career in the USAF that required me to learn Korean. Before studying the language I had no concept of the culture the people pretty much anything other than the fact I had a couple Korean/American friends in HS. Anyways back on topic, whether you like it or not trial and error is the only way you are going to improve especially if you are a natural when it comes to language. Certainly a basic level of the language is required before you can attempt to communicate in it but I see no reason to knock others for their mistakes in an attempt to utilize a second/third/forth, etc. language. After having studied Korean for nearly 5 years I still have trouble speaking it due to the immense amount of grammer and the stict rules that are applied to their usage unlike American english. Still I stumble my way thru it day by day regardless of how stupid I might look or sound and sure enough I have actually gotten better, according to my teacher who taught me originally over 5 years ago, we just happent to meet up yesterday.

To those who try and fail to communicate in a language not your own I salute you. Even broken language is a solid form of communication.

Obviously on some level you must be a perfectionist and are affraid of being called out in public when you do something wrong. Of course I could be wrong but your post certainly seems to give such evidence.

haha LOL now thats comedy in its purest form.. read my profile then u will know wot u just wrote is highly incorrect!

whether you like it or not trial and error is the only way you are going to improve

yes i said "practice makes perfect" .. :arrow:

Certainly a basic level of the language is required before you can attempt to communicate in it but I see no reason to knock others for their mistakes in an attempt to utilize a second/third/forth, etc. language

so u are one of those who missed the sarcasm and irony then.. were not tryin to be mean to them just having a laugh at their expense.. i would expect anyone to do the same to me :twisted:

..another example of the british sense of humour being misunderstood..

Even broken language is a solid form of communication.

well thats just verbal diahorrea :lol:

90% of TF members miss the sarcasm/irony???? Maybe people using sarcasm and irony as an instrument are not good at it? If only a few poeple understand what you mean you should not use sarcasm /irony. Thats my opinion. As you said, its a public forum, and if only 10 % can understand what you mean, your text is worthless..

well u are entitled to your opinion, as am i..

if at least 10% get it, then how can u describe my text as worthless?

i just speak my mind buddy, no bullshit, no sugar coating, i say it like i see it :twisted:

errr, thanks for your input :arrow:

Im gonna say no more just wanna Laugh :lol:

I bet every country every langauge laugh the same right?

Or they have any special laugh?

What a Great forum

OMG!!! u just found the answer!!! thats it!!!

a laugh and a smile can say a thousand words, no need to talk anymore huhuhu :twisted:

(i'll suggest this to joe and iggy) :lol:

Sorry, i didnt describe your texts...I really enjoy reading what you write, (and I hope I understand). What I meant was that if someone writes a text noone understands, it`s not worth much. Especially if you are posting on a public forum..

Another example that it`s hard for a Norwegian to write English..

point taken anyway,

i would never have known that english is not your first language :D

ps. wot the hell is that thing in your pic? looks cute :twisted:

He was awarded the ugliest dog in the world...Then he died...

Anyway, have to go now.

There's a family of mutts that look worse than that living in my soi.

And, given that the main operating language of this site is undeniably English, then writers should feel free to use the language as they feel fit. Native speakers should not feel forced to dumb-down their message so that everyone will understand it, but instead should feel free to choose the register based on their intended readership. Nor should they have to explain what they have said if some don't understand (I don't see all the Thai posts come with a translation) though they can, of course, do this if they wish.

It's good practice for non-native speakers to read things here and write their own messages (though some posts are not best-practice or comprehensible, even to educated native-speakers), but a writer should feel free to choose his language, or indeed humour, as he feels fit and according to his target reader. If only 10% will get it, so be it. The minority have rights as well as the majority.

hahaha .. yes do u know why? bcoz somebody stole my pigeon.. and he won't give that little bird back to me.. that is why.. I think my mom must worry me coz i didnt call her for 3 days... :cry:

who would do such a terrible thing to your lil birdy? *picks teeth with wing bone* aroi mak mak :twisted:

My last comment on this perticular post.

You would be right in assuming I didn't take the time to read your profile as I was merely home for lunch and logged into TF to see what Juicy gossip was up and running. I found your post and thought to myself, "hmm...I have a lot of experience with this first hand, think I will write a reply".

Having grown up in California, a literal melting pot for the continuing corruption of the original english language I have spent more time in conversation with non-native english speakers than I have natives. Through my military experience/travel I have also come to understand that as the world becomes on giant global village countries around the world are being forced to take up english as a national second language in order to complete in the Global Market. Given the fact there are only a few nations on this planet where some form of english is the native language its pretty easy to see that there are more non-native english speakers in the world today than natives.

I used to find it funny how a non-native english speaker had an easier time understanind another non-native than an actual native would. That was of course before I took up Korean as my second language and fully grasped the concept of analyzing a language, something the average native never does. They simple accept what they learned originally and never questioned it because they had nothing to compare it to. As an adult learning another language we don't have that luxury. Or perhaps thats what seperates those with a natural talent for language, being able to just accept without quetion. Being analytical I couldn't comprehend never asking why. My point however is we as Native speakers of a language simply understand the language but those that took the time to analyze it can actually break it down and even pull out the meaning of a sentence which would otherwise be incomprehensable.

I think its safe to say everyone on this site, at least those that matter :twisted: , like/love/enjoy something about Thailand. For those here that don't speak Thai fluently or at all imagine what Thailand might be like if the Thai's didn't bother to learn even broken english. I suggest you learn to appreciate the efforts of those that don't have to put forth that effort in the first place rather than bash it for pure amusements sake. My second trip and really my first REAL trip to Thailand was spent traveling around Isaan, I don't speak Thai and for those that have been through the various parts of Isaan you know that english is not really widespread. I traveled around with a dictionary in my pocket and certainly learned to appreciate every single person I ran into who was willing to attempt to communicate with me, not matter how broken our conversations might have been. That is when I fell in love with Thailand.

Take it for whats it worth, feel free to ignore it if you like, thats the great thing about life, we get to make the choices

a good forum

I believe that non-native shouldn't be shy about practicing their skills in public in any form, speaking, listeing, writing or reading. That's exactly how we learn language. From experience, language is all about practice and copying. Therefore, using it as often as possible is the only way to learn language.

Having the advantage of being quite a natural learner, I, however, have some problem understanding broken language. This might sound arrogant but I hardly understand what some people wrote with broken English. Yet, I am not fluent enough to read some really sophisticated language used here.

The vampire is right that sarcasm here is often unnoticed or be misunderstood. But I encourage everyone to keep that level or sarcasm on TF. It's a good way to learn the language as well as the culture.

Also, I agree with CMG_UK that writers should maintain their level of English, so that non-natives have examples to learn from. A lot of people are here to learn and improve their skills. So am I. It'd be really useful to see good language being used here.

One thing I notice though that even ppl who speak broken English seem to be able to use the word 'f*ck' in a correct grammartical order. Isn't it a wonder? :?: