The 'Official' 2006 Ashes Thread...

MichaelGray

As for some of the posts here, Robert join me one day watching a days play I'm sure you will find it much more exciting than Ice Hockey

i wouldn't be too sure about that !! watching test cricket live can be fairly dull ... the 1 dayers can be a good day out though !!!!

Ice Hockey is the main American game I do find exciting, baseball and American football are like watching you pc defrag.

Yes maybe Robert should watch a one day game instead.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, I'm sure I will never find it as exciting as ice hockey, or even baseball, but I am willing to join you for a day and watch if you will explain what the hell is going on and how that gnostic system of scoring works.

I will keep an open mind. Even about the cows, Dave40.

Ok deal I'll get a few of the boys over for a one dayer and I'm sure you will enjoy it better than baseball, ( yeah right).

Hate to interrupt such an exciting gentlemen's conversation but guys is anyone here going to take care of my education at such an interesting topic?

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

Clear? :roll:

Once you?ve mastered this, Mike will show you his googly :shock:

Whether he manages a good length or a full toss will depend on what leg glance he gets :P

Hate to interrupt such an exciting gentlemen's conversation but guys is anyone here going to take care of my education at such an interesting topic?

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

Clear? :roll:

Once you?ve mastered this, Mike will show you his googly :shock:

Whether he manages a good length or a full toss will depend on what leg glance he gets :P

LMAO

Mike, I'm sure I will never find it as exciting as ice hockey, or even baseball, but I am willing to join you for a day and watch if you will explain what the hell is going on and how that gnostic system of scoring works.

Hey Robert If Mikeaussieguy explains to you the gnostic scoring of cricket maybe you can explain to me the rules of American Football (ie Super Bowl) because the Great Albert Einstein had to think about it (the rules) for at least 5 min .LoL

(please don't take this post to seriously)(loburt)

Hey Robert If Mikeaussieguy explains to you the gnostic scoring of cricket maybe you can explain to me the rules of American Football (ie Super Bowl) because the Great Albert Einstein had to think about it (the rules) for at least 5 min .LoL

It's quite simple Dave, you wear a uniform similiar to a medieval knight, one half of the team runs onto the field when they get the ball, the other half runs off, then they run off the field when they lose the ball, then the other half of the team runs back onto the field to defend until they get the ball back, they then run off and the first half of the team runs back on to play the ball. If there is a kick, a kicker runs on and takes the kick then runs back off again. The objective is to protect the guy running with the ball so he can score, so the offensive team tackles the guys without the ball (?) trying to get the guy with the ball (??). It's ok to pass forward, backwards or sideways. When you score you must act like you are a retard and do some sort of dance, flip, tumble or walk like you have a ball up your butt.

Amongst all of this, the game is stopped every time a guys gets tackled so they can measure how far he has run (???) and when a sponsor advertisement is due to appear.

All in all there is a total of 4 mins of play every hour. Exciting stuff eh?

It's quite simple Dave, you wear a uniform similiar to a medieval knight, one half of the team runs onto the field when they get the ball, the other half runs off, then they run off the field when they lose the ball, then the other half of the team runs back onto the field to defend until they get the ball back, they then run off and the first half of the team runs back on to play the ball. If there is a kick, a kicker runs on and takes the kick then runs back off again. The objective is to protect the guy running with the ball so he can score, so the offensive team tackles the guys without the ball (?) trying to get the guy with the ball (??). It's ok to pass forward, backwards or sideways. When you score you must act like you are a retard and do some sort of dance, flip, tumble or walk like you have a ball up your butt.

Amongst all of this, the game is stopped every time a guys gets tackled so they can measure how far he has run (???) and when a sponsor advertisement is due to appear.

All in all there is a total of 4 mins of play every hour. Exciting stuff eh?[/quote

Thanks for the tip Mike I think it's best if we stick to Rugby Union at least the game is finished on the day it starts!!!!]

But you forgot to tell me how is a bowler's economy rate calculated? I'm very very interested at any economy.

The economy rate is how many runs are scored off each bowlers over (an over consists of 6 deliveries)

If a bowler bowls 10 overs and the batsmen score 55 runs off those ten overs then his economy rate will be 5.5.

Number of runs / number of overs = economy rate.

Yes Treborz is right, so I will leave that one alone.

As for this : Mike refused to show me his googly icon_cry.gif , just gave me a goodlooking blue bruise under my left eye for knowing Mahmood without letting know that him but promised to buy me 300 more cows if I'd leave this thread and not interrupt you GENTLEmen.

You may as well come clean GT my promise for 300 cows is because I once saw you milk a cow and I was so impressed with your wrist action and the way the cow smiled and moo all the way through it I asked for a personal demonstration for an exchange of the 300 cows.

OK I have had instructions from GT to get back to the Ashes and to stop all these childish comments.

So I will kickstart the Ashes thread off again.

The 3rd Test commences on Saturday, according to the latest reports the pitch is a fast bowlers dream so I guess England will finally select Monty Panesar :)

Hey Mike the test starts tomorrow (Thursday) and they say the pitch will be fast for the 1st day then settle down and be good for batting, I hope Andrew Symonds can do a good job of replacing Martin, hope it's a close match and Australia wins and celebrate's by drinking the milk of 300 cows ( they can mix it with Kalua)

OK I have had instructions from GT to get back to the Ashes and to stop all these childish comments.

The 3rd Test commences on Saturday, according to the latest reports the pitch is a fast bowlers dream so I guess England will finally select Monty Panesar :)

Hey Mike the test starts tomorrow (Thursday) and they say the pitch will be fast for the 1st day then settle down and be good for batting, I hope Andrew Symonds can do a good job of replacing Martin, hope it's a close match and Australia wins and celebrate's by drinking the milk of 300 cows ( they can mix it with Kalua)

Mate I made a mistake, don't know where I got Saturday from, maybe in my mind that's when I reckon it will be all over lol.

I already got pay for view organised for tomorrow, and I am looking forward to this one, if the POMS dont fire they will probably go home so they will throw everything at the Aussies.

Symonds is the replacemnt? I didn't read that, but he is a good player of course. I thought they would blood someone younger, perhaps they will do that for the 4th Test when the Ashes are back where they belong :)

PS Out of todays Herald :

Sports betting agency Centrebet has next Monday - the fifth day of the third Test at the WACA - as odds on favourite at $1.90 to be the day Ricky Ponting's team recaptures the urn from England.

It has stopped betting on whether Australia can regain the Ashes after previously quoting Australia at $1.001 following after the second Test win to go 2-0 up in the five Test series - the shortest odds offered about any bet in the company's 14-year history.

To Monty or not to Mony that is the question. Does it really matter when...

England have only won once in 10 previous tests at the Waca

When 'Quote'

The solitary victory came in 1978 when Mike Brearley's team beat an Austrailian team weakened by the loss of star names to Kerry Packers world series.

Fletcher is in a no win situation, if he picks Panesar he's admitting he got it wrong in the first two tests and god does the man not like doing that!!!! Also it looks like its a good wicket for the pace bowlers so why pick him now???

Lardass....sorry Warney :P said it was the worst wicket he's ever seen at the Waca. So heres hoping for an interesting test, if for no other reason than to give some certain Pay per view paying Aussies value for their money lol

Spinner Monty Panesar has been handed his Ashes debut in the third Test in Perth, replacing Ashley Giles.

Fast bowler Sajid Mahmood was preferred to James Anderson in two changes for England, who need at least a draw to keep the series alive.

Australia made one change to the side that won the first two Tests, all-rounder Andrew Symonds replacing the now retired Damien Martyn.

The Waca is England's least successful hunting ground in Australia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/6169975.stm

Symonds is the replacemnt? I didn't read that, but he is a good player of course. I thought they would blood someone younger, perhaps they will do that for the 4th Test when the Ashes are back where they belong :)

He asked! Mike, you amaze me! :roll:

Damien Martyn?s been replaced by Andrew Symonds for the third Test - and the little-known Adam Voges, for your kind information, the news in all over for 5 days already! ..... unfortunately he only made 4 runs while Voges hit 71 against England in the Lilac Hill game.

I'm just wondering why you dont ask who would be happy if Ashley Giles will follow Martyn?s example, Mike? :wink:

now say it again

GT Tutorial Follows

A quick is a fast bowler, agro means aggravated and a pitch is the strip of earth that they play on.

:roll: :roll: :roll: O people, o manners!

Lyna, I'm speechless :wink:

You Big Girl's Blouse :P

Welcome to the WACA

So it?s Monty and Mahmood

characters.gif

Can M&M stop Australia regaining the Ashes, or at least delay the inevitable.

From all reports the wicket at the WACA is not the same hard and fast track of old

So we could be in for a spot of spin-friendly fun

Six more for Warne to reach 700 wickets in tests

My prediction?

Australia to win but Monty to shine and Warne to reach 700

Enjoy the match :)

Well seems like the English will be considering their selection for the 2nd Test now Monty has taken 5 wickets in the 3rd. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Seems we MAY have a Test match on our hands.

Will it be a 2nd Test all over again, time will tell.

Well done Monty, oh and England too .

Maybe a test match to late for Monty Mike

Well seems like the English will be considering their selection for the 2nd Test now Monty has taken 5 wickets in the 3rd. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Seems we MAY have a Test match on our hands.

Will it be a 2nd Test all over again, time will tell.

Well done Monty, oh and England too .

Maybe a test match to late for Monty Mike

Yes Dave, what could have been. Will be interesting to see how Warney goes now we know the pitch is spinning.

GT Tutorial Follows

Pitch is spinning doesnt mean it is doing 360's it means the pitch is favouring the spinner bowlers like Warney and Monty over the fast bowlers :)