US/Thai Dual Nationality

yeahrightdennis

The down-low.

I'm full Thai, but was born in the States. I hold both a US and Thai birth certificate, and once both passports (now its just a US passport). My question is if its possible for me to obtain a Thai passport and ID card again, even though I'm 29?

I don't know how you have both a U.S and a Thai birth certificate. Don't you mean that you were born in the U.S and have your birth certificate translated in Thai ???

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you can have dual citizenship.

My 3 month old son, will probably be in the same situation although he's half Thai.

My understanding is that he can have dual passports, but at age 18, if he remains in Australia, then he's accepting his Australian nationality but rejecting his Thai.

Even though you're 29, you might also need to complete Thai military service, if you want to become a Thai national.

It would probably be the same as myself wanting to be an Italian national. Both my parents were born in Italy, but I was born in Australia.

Don't know when you last entered Thailand, but like the Italian government, they might hit you up for military service even if you just want to visit.

When in Bangkok, do as the Farangs do, lol

Go to Laos, Cambodia etc and re-stamp your visa OR enrol in a Thai language course OR if you're really desperate buy a bar.

If all else fails, marry a Thai national :P

My ex has a son who is now an Australian citizen and holds a Thai passport and citizenship (he was born in Thailand and came to live with us in Brisbane when he was 15).

He visited me in Thailand when he was 31 and as far as I know there was no problem about Military Service. It may be that if you dont take up residency there is no issue, but you need to check that aspect with the Embassy or Consulate.

I usually try to avoid embassies and only deal with consulates as they are generally human, whereas embassies are often chok-a-block with anal-pen-pushing-arseholes.....