Oil Spills

Bruce551

I was watching CNN Msnbc and Fox at a friends house and the reaction to the HUGE spill seems so on the down Low. I'm getting the feeling some people might have a reason to destroy the place so they can rebuild as a resort like some coastal fishing villages in Asia after the Psunami. The lack of concerns for rebuilding levees destroyed by Katrina. If the money isn't there locally those with money will rebuild and rezone. Call me crazy but its lookin that way to me at this point.

You're crazy.

check this out---http://www.bretmosley.com/textpattern/articles/31/well-thats-a-relief

unf*ckinbelievable !!!! no worries then eh' :shock:

All too believable mate to be honest.

US entrepreneurialism at it's finest.

It might take a while sometimes, but sh*t always comes back to haunt you.

Eagle's url.....

"CHECK THIS **** OUT: In the U.S., the oil industry successfully lobbied to keep raw petroleum off the Federal Government’s list of hazardous substances when the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), was enacted in 1976.

I looked. It’s not on the list.

The same is not true in other countries, by the way.

So the good news is, there’s no problem in the Gulf of Mexico right now…there’s nothing hazardous in the water. And the entire EPA response is guided accordingly."

Repos are sure dickheads, boy-O-boy.......

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching CNN Msnbc and Fox at a friends house and the reaction to the HUGE spill seems so on the down Low. I'm getting the feeling some people might have a reason to destroy the place so they can rebuild as a resort like some coastal fishing villages in Asia after the Psunami. The lack of concerns for rebuilding levees destroyed by Katrina. If the money isn't there locally those with money will rebuild and rezone. Call me crazy but its lookin that way to me at this point.

You're crazy.

check this out---http://www.bretmosley.com/textpattern/articles/31/well-thats-a-relief

unf*ckinbelievable !!!! no worries then eh' :shock:

All too believable mate to be honest.

US entrepreneurialism at it's finest.

It might take a while sometimes, but sh*t always comes back to haunt you.

Eagle's url.....

"CHECK THIS sh*t OUT: In the U.S., the oil industry successfully lobbied to keep raw petroleum off the Federal Government’s list of hazardous substances when the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), was enacted in 1976.

I looked. It’s not on the list.

The same is not true in other countries, by the way.

So the good news is, there’s no problem in the Gulf of Mexico right now…there’s nothing hazardous in the water. And the entire EPA response is guided accordingly."

Repos are sure dickheads, boy-O-boy.......

shocking !

I seriously doubt, despite the damage being done to the old ecosystem there, that the opinion of the majority of the people around the world differs much from mine, in that I really hope that this costs the US as much as it has cost the rest of the world in being the pursued of its happiness.

A few inconsequential deaths might appease me of course, but I doubt it.

The irony just gets funnier and funnier.

I seriously doubt, despite the damage being done to the old ecosystem there, that the opinion of the majority of the people around the world differs much from mine, in that I really hope that this costs the US as much as it has cost the rest of the world in being the pursued of its happiness.

A few inconsequential deaths might appease me of course, but I doubt it.

The irony just gets funnier and funnier.

I only hope it opens more eyes to how much damage we are doing to the environment and more kumbia liberal laws get enforced to protect it. US corporate powers may be leading the way down the greedy highway but the US is in no way the only greedy nation on the planet. Personally I'm more concerned for the wetlands and ocean then a few people dying. To have crude oil taken off the list of hazardous waste is criminal but when money runs the courts nothing will happen of consequence.

Majority leader Harry Reid went to the Senate floor today to deliver his take on the connection:

http://climateprogress.org/2010/05/24/axelrod-reid-bp-oil-spill-energy-and-climate-bill/

“It’s been nearly five weeks since oil started spewing into the Gulf of Mexico and onto our shores. Millions of gallons, miles of polluted coastline and more than a month later, the consequences of our oil addiction are as clear as the Gulf’s waters once were.

“It’s also become clear that the companies responsible for this spill were poorly prepared for this possibility. There’s no question that they failed to adequately invest in the technology necessary to respond to such a catastrophe.

“Days have turned into weeks while the experts continue to experiment with ways to stop the spill. We still don’t know when the end will come so the clean-up can begin.

“Every year, these companies rake in record profits. Then they turn around and spend that money on trying to find more oil. It’s time they also find safer ways to drill for it and handle it.

“The five top oil companies have made three quarters of a trillion dollars in profits alone over the past decade. But the amount they’ve invested in cleanup technologies is negligible.

“And they’ve invested embarrassingly little in alternative fuels that would make us more secure both at home and abroad. I don’t mind oil companies or any other company making money.

But these multibillion-dollar corporations are getting rich at the expense of our national security, our economy and our environment.

“Every day we pay unfriendly regimes to feed our oil addiction is a day we are less safe. Everyone who stands in the way of diversifying our economy makes it harder for businesses to recover, for the unemployed to find work and for our communities to prosper.

And every time we see precious water and wildlife coated in crude oil, the threat to our environment is impossible to ignore.

“Weaning ourselves off of oil is a hard fact for us to face. We consume more 20 percent of the world’s oil, but produce less than 3 percent of it. It’s not a change we can make overnight. But if we don’t start, the next disaster could make the current one look like a drop in the bucket.

“I’m tired of waiting for oil companies to get the message. America needs clean alternatives more urgently than ever. In the meantime, those responsible for this spill must foot the bill, and I will do everything I can to make sure they do. Taxpayers will not pick up the tab.

Great message guys. Now I have two words for you, “global warming.â€

This sh*t has been happening in Africa for years, no one gave a sh*t, on the contrary American has been promoting it, and has now started up a Babylon military wing called Africom to protect its interests in the region.

Thats a poor black nation shhhhh Oil is fueling the evil empires plans yes. Sick **** yes.

Oil-Spill-GULF-SATELLITE-huge.jpg

NEW ORLEANS — A thick, 22-mile plume of oil discovered by researchers off the BP spill site was nearing an underwater canyon, where it could poison the foodchain for sealife in the waters off Florida.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/28/22mile-oil-plume-under-gu_n_593658.html

And,

Across the entire Atlantic Basin for the six-month season, which begins June 1, NOAA is projecting a 70 percent probability of the following ranges:

* 14 to 23 Named Storms (top winds of 39 mph or higher), including:

* 8 to 14 Hurricanes (top winds of 74 mph or higher), of which:

* 3 to 7 could be Major Hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of at least 111 mph)

Hurricane Ike.NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center issued its seasonal outlook today.

It is a worrisome. Administrator Lubchenco, says, “If this outlook holds true, this season could be one of the more active on record.â€

Hurricanes season bad because El Nino changing to La Nina condition.

I officially couldn't give a **** about this pissy Oil spill anymore.

In fact, I think I'm actually happy its happening to America, happy that now they will find out what it feels like when your land and sea gets poisoned by a foreign companies incompetence.

The Nigerian Deltas been poisoned for years by RDS, people have been moved off of their land, murdered, and lost their livelihood because of the quick profits from Oil that the people that live on the land will never see.... Nigeria being one of the biggest suppliers of crude oil to America.

http://crossedcrocodiles.wordpress.com/2009/07/07/nigeria-petroleum-pollution-and-poverty-violating-human-rights-in-the-niger-delta/

AND now we have seen the set up of Africom across Africa... sounds like some babylon American military arm? Well yes it is!

Set up in Africa to errrrr fight terrorism!!! Our old friend terrorism, as well as protect Americas Oil interest on the continent.

This is a pretty f**ked doc...

I officially couldn't give a f*ck about this pissy Oil spill anymore.

In fact, I think I'm actually happy its happening to America, happy that now they will find out what it feels like when your land and sea gets poisoned by a foreign companies incompetence.

The Nigerian Deltas been poisoned for years by RDS, people have been moved off of their land, murdered, and lost their livelihood because of the quick profits from Oil that the people that live on the land will never see.... Nigeria being one of the biggest suppliers of crude oil to America.

http://crossedcrocodiles.wordpress.com/2009/07/07/nigeria-petroleum-pollution-and-poverty-violating-human-rights-in-the-niger-delta/

AND now we have seen the set up of Africom across Africa... sounds like some babylon American military arm? Well yes it is!

Set up in Africa to errrrr fight terrorism!!! Our old friend terrorism, as well as protect Americas Oil interest on the continent.

This is a pretty f*cked doc...

your right about Africa , still a shame about the gulf. I would hope people become more aware but life seems to go on with little change but lots of talk about change.

your right about Africa , still a shame about the gulf. I would hope people become more aware but life seems to go on with little change but lots of talk about change.

So, if the oil spill was in the North Sea would feelings be the same :twisted:

It's ok cos if it doesn't get sorted soon it'll be in the Gulf Stream and then Europe'll be pissed about it too.

When it comes to the planet I don't think of it as whos territory it is.

Plant wrote:

It's ok cos if it doesn't get sorted soon it'll be in the Gulf Stream and then Europe'll be pissed about it too.

BPs top kill as they call it failed so looks like you'l be getting your oil in Europe via the new Atlantic pipeline. The ocean is in bad enough shape or should I say the life that calls it home. Its Black death spewing into the ocean and who knows when it will stop :twisted:

Gallup pollster Jeffrey M. Jones concludes

The recent oil spill has spurred a significant shift in Americans’ environmental attitudes. For the last few years, Americans’ environmental concerns declined as the public placed a higher priority on pocketbook concerns like the economy and energy, likely due to the poor U.S. economy.

However, in just two months’ time, that trend has reversed, and the pro-environment position has regained the strength it showed for most of the last decade.

Also,

Phillippe Cousteau, Jr. To Bill Maher: Even Before Oil Spill, The Oceans Couldn't Take Any More (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/28/phillipe-cousteau-jr-to-b_n_594308.html

Secretary of Energy Steven Chu has a team of scientists working with BP engineers to figure out way to fix the blow-out.

The USA has 250,000, 000 cars on road, this must change.

Gallup pollster Jeffrey M. Jones concludes

The recent oil spill has spurred a significant shift in Americans’ environmental attitudes. For the last few years, Americans’ environmental concerns declined as the public placed a higher priority on pocketbook concerns like the economy and energy, likely due to the poor U.S. economy.

However, in just two months’ time, that trend has reversed, and the pro-environment position has regained the strength it showed for most of the last decade.

Also,

Phillippe Cousteau, Jr. To Bill Maher: Even Before Oil Spill, The Oceans Couldn't Take Any More (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/28/phillipe-cousteau-jr-to-b_n_594308.html

Secretary of Energy Steven Chu has a team of scientists working with BP engineers to figure out way to fix the blow-out.

The USA has 250,000, 000 cars on road, this must change.

Thanks for sharing that Bruce. Great to hear Phillippe Cousteau jr. !

EV's are popular with congress in light of BP Oil Spill 5555

The Electric Drive Vehicle Deployment Act of 2010,

http://earth2tech.com/2010/05/28/electric-car-bills-on-the-hill-10-things-you-should-know/

Introduced in Congress this week, has a simple goal to electrify half of all cars and trucks on U.S. roads by 2030, and a basic strategy: focus the might of the federal government on a small number of pilot communities around the country, subsidizing the buildout of charging infrastructure and purchase of electric vehicles.

But when it comes to implementing that strategy, the legislation (which is now up for debate in two slightly different versions proposed in the House and the Senate, H.R. 5442 and S. 3442, respectively) gets somewhat more complicated. Here are 10 things you should know about a pair of proposals that could play a big role in how the nascent electric vehicle market takes shape over the next 20 years:

How much will the legislation cost?

The Senate bill is estimated to have an overall cost of $7-$10 billion over five years. The House bill is estimated to cost about $11 billion over five years.

Where would the funding come from?

The House version calls for regional governments to sell $100 million in bonds to help fund the infrastructure buildout. Other funding sources are unclear or yet to be determined.

Who would hold the purse strings?

The Department of Energy. The House bill calls for the Secretary of Energy to award $800 million-$1 billion (through a competitive application process) to five cities or transportation corridors, including at least one focused on heavy-duty electric vehicles. The Senate bill calls for the DOE to award $250 million in grants for up to 15 communities.

What’s the timeline?

Under the House bill, qualifying criteria for pilot communities would be released within 120 days and communities would be selected within a year of the bill’s enactment.

What’s in it for consumers?

* House: The first 100,000 consumers purchasing EVs in each of the five chosen pilot communities could get rebates or other incentives of at least $2,000 per car, and up to a $2,000 tax credit on the purchase and installation of charging equipment. (Businesses could get up to a $50,000 credit for purchase and installation of multiple charging stations.)

* Senate: The current $7,500 tax credit for electric vehicles would be expanded to include medium- and heavy-duty hybrid vehicles, such as pickup trucks, commercial trucks and SUVs. Residents of pilot communities would be eligible for rebates of up to $10,000 on an electric vehicle at the point of sale.

Who’s behind the legislation?

Sponsors of the legislation include Reps. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) and Judy Biggert, (R-Ill.), and Sens. Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.), Lamar Alexandar (R-Tenn.) and Jeff Merkeley (D-Ore.)

The Electrification Coalition, a group that includes venture capitalist Ray Lane, utility chiefs and executives from companies working on charging equipment, batteries, smart charging and electric vehicles, called for the creation of EV deployment hubs in an extensive policy paper late last year.

The legislation unveiled this week bears similarities to that plan, and the group, which set out to sway U.S. policy, has issued strong praise for the proposals now working their way through Congress. Coalition members include A123 Systems, AeroVironment, Bright Automotive, Coda Automotive, Coulomb Technologies, Cisco, FedEx, GridPoint, Nissan, NRG Energy, PG&E and others.

Who has come out against the proposal?

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, a trade group that represents 11 automakers including General Motors, Chrysler, Ford and Toyota, said the legislation “risks resulting in federal resources becoming overly concentrated in a small number of communities, which could establish electric cars as boutique vehicles….Electric cars and their infrastructure should be available to everyone nationwide, not just people in select communities.â€

How might this affect utilities, and your utility bill?

Utilities would be directed to evaluate potential deployment rates for plug-in vehicles in their service areas, as well as what it would mean for their transmission and distribution infrastructure. The Natural Resources Defense Council explains utilities and utility regulators would also be “encouraged to design programs that support plug-in vehicles use through infrastructure planning and ensuring interoperability between grid systems and vehicles.†The Hill reports that the legislation would allow cities and power providers in pilot communities “to issue bonds at preferential rates to purchase electric drive vehicle charging stations.â€

Who stands to benefit?

* Infrastructure providers: Consumers and businesses would get money to set up charging stations. Legislation would extend through 2017 an existing tax credit for charging equipment installations, and increase it to 50 percent of the purchase cost for the equipment, up from 30 percent today.

* Electric car makers: Legislation would subsidize early adoption of electric vehicles. The current limit of 200,000 vehicles per manufacturer on tax credits for electric car purchases would be raised to 300,000 vehicles and extended to 2016.

* The 5-15 selected pilot communities receiving up to $800 million in federal grants.

* Battery innovators: The Senate version proposes $1.5 billion for research aimed at delivering a battery that can go 500 miles on a single charge. The Senate also proposes establishing a $10 million prize for whoever delivers a commercially viable battery with those specs. "WOW"

* Hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle developers: The House version of the bill includes funding to incentivize these cars, although not the infrastructure for them.

How would pilot communities by selected? According to a draft of the House bill, the Secretary of Energy would choose the communities based on criteria including the level of cost sharing they propose for grant projects, whether plans are in place for deploying public charging infrastructure and updating building codes, solid partnerships with a range of stakeholders and assurances that equipment will employ open standards.

EV World reports that other important factors under consideration would include how much greenhouse gas emissions would be prevented through the project, what additional state and local incentives are in place, proximity to other communities where EVs and infrastructure could be deployed and how the program will inform efforts to roll EVs out nationwide.

*What advantages do EVs offer? EVs produce zero emissions at the point of use. An electric motor is 400% to 600% more efficient than an internal combus tion engine. An EV, per mile, uses one-half the fossil-fuel resources an ICE consumes. An EV produces only 5% to 10% of the emissions of an ICE per mile traveled. All of the EV's emissions occur at a (oil- or coal-fueled) power plant, which runs 400% to 500% more efficiently than an ICE and scrubs its own exhaust. EVs can use electricity from anywhere including sustainable energy resources (wind and sun). EVs are simple, silent, and affordable to operate.

*Recycling Lithium-Ion batteries.

http://www.greenoptions.com/forum/thread/145/ev-battery-recycling-from-a-tesla-motors-engineer

One of the Tesla engineers went head on at skeptics regarding the contents and recycling of their battery packs, or Energy Storage Systems (ESS) in the company blog.

First, he debunked the assumptions of toxic contents in the batteries - it turns out that there is no:

1. Lead

2. Mercury

3. Cadmium

4. Hexavalent chromium (chromium xxx or Cr6+)

5. Polybrominated biphenyls (PBB)

6. Polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE)

In the end, 60% of the pack gets recycled, another 10% reused in new batteries, and only "benign fluff" ends up getting landfilled. Further, they claim that as they hit scale they'll be able to recycle even more by separating out additional plastic from the ESS. I think it's the best possible strategy to be public about this stuff. Good call Tesla.

In the "global economy" ie the US/Europe/Sundry Anglo Saxon countries we only hear of or are interested in,

The Gulf of Mexico seems overwhelmingly important.

The largest oil spill, No not at all, the largest oil spill is ongoing in Nigeria and dwarfs the Gulf of Mexico over

200 spills every year, 3+ million barrels in total.

Nobody notices. Nobody cares.

Why hasn't this been taken out of BPs hands and dealt with by the US Almighty Government?

I'm sure they have some serious deep water equipment that could sort this out?

The again, its only in the deep south, and no one really cares much about them now do they?

Why hasn't this been taken out of BPs hands and dealt with by the US Almighty Government?

I'm sure they have some serious deep water equipment that could sort this out?

The again, its only in the deep south, and no one really cares much about them now do they?

Well, at least you admit the US Government is "Almighty". Do I sense some amount of jealousy there :roll: (not) Almighty US Government, something to think about - I bet there are about zero percent US natives who think that :!:

Anyway, on the subject, why don't they take control. I heard on CNN the other day that legally they can not. Not sure how true, but hey, CNN reported it :roll: