Folding at Home

PiAnt

Bear with me...

I'm sure some of you will have heard of this, but for those who haven't, it's a distributed computing project; people all over the world run a program on their computers which contributes in a small way to an overall project, which would be impractical or hugely expensive to achieve by a single entity.

Folding @ Home, specifically, uses this concept to enable it to perform complicated, time consuming calculations of protein folding, or, more specifically mis-folding, leading to many diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

I've been running a client for quite a while now, contributing "points" to a team, and I mentioned to Bill about creating a ThailandFriends team, to which he thought it was a a great idea.

I have a client running constantly on my work compute using 30% of its CPU time, which makes little impact on performance.

Anyway, for anyone who's interested, you can find out more and download the program HERE - ThailandFriends page is HERE. The team name is ThailandFriends and Team Number is 198900, which you need to enter in the settings in order to contribute points to the team.

For anyone who does take the time for it, I'll think of a fabulous prize for the highest points contributor for next month.

Cheers.

We (the hubby & I) have been running this folding @ home for a little bit over a year. We made over 10 million points so far and we (mostly from my husband's computers) are on the top 10 in Denmark (from 4 comp. with graphic cards). I took one computer out of the team and join TF team instead. It's gonna run 24-7 (and it should make approx 5000 points/day). :wink:

The byproduct of this folding @ home is because it generates heat so we use less electricity to warm the house up during winters. In Thailand your air-con might have to work harder.

Join TF-Folding @ home team, ladies and gents.

It's a great contribution to TF community, PiAnt. Thank you.

just for the record, TF team has passed milestone yesterday (1,000 points). I hope PiAnt didn't plan to stop at 69 points (I might feel foolish if this TF-folding was just a joke.. :eh: .. and I might leave the team and get my computer run for another team instead, for at least I have some companies on the other team).

just for the record, TF team has passed milestone yesterday (1,000 points). I hope PiAnt didn't plan to stop at 69 points (I might feel foolish if this TF-folding was just a joke.. :eh: .. and I might leave the team and get my computer run for another team instead, for at least I have some companies on the other team).

Thanks Nicky.

I only have my work computer running during work hours - I've put it up to 50% CPU usage but I can't compete with a1000 points a day ja - I'm currently at 167/250 on the 2nd work unit here it'll probably finish tomorrow.

Sorry it might just be us 2 so if you want to put your points in another team it's ok ja.

Thanks Nicky.

I only have my work computer running during work hours - I've put it up to 50% CPU usage but I can't compete with a1000 points a day ja - I'm currently at 167/250 on the 2nd work unit here it'll probably finish tomorrow.

Sorry it might just be us 2 so if you want to put your points in another team it's ok ja.

I think I'm gonna stick to the team but I will change the username on folding @ home, maybe. Let's hope some TFers will join the team soon, perhaps Admin-Bill.

My score now is over 8000. :mrgreen: Beat me, if you can PiAnt.

fold.jpg