Reduce want, and you will feel happier.

Sasie

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think that's a double-edged sword. In my opinion, everyone is entitled to dream about a better life, including material things. The big issue is to "stay on the carpet" as we use to say, to well differenciate between your dreams and your reality.

And I also think that everybody should go for improvements of his situation, also on the material side, if he wants to do so. But what I am fully against - and there I think we meet again - is that you should not dedicate your life and your actions to accumulate physical things. Hunting after every Baht in order to be better than your neighbor, your friend, your colleague for sure is not a good thing although competition is a good thing in general.

I think the big problem is that people easily lose proportions. Going for improvement, for the better in a "healthy" way for sure is a good thing, hunting for the first position, the biggest bonus, to be wealthier than your neigbor is not.

And then - where is the limit? There are people who want a villa with 27 rooms and two swimming pools. Geeez, never ever I want to have this because I would not feel comfortable! But again, this is a personal view and I am convinced that many people in their 27 bedroom villa are not feeling comfortable except for the few occasions they are inviting guests.

As a conclusion, I think everybody should thrive for the better (whatever he thinks "the better" means for him) but people should also keep their feet on the floor knowing what is possible or not. And they should do it for themselves, for their personal benefit and comfort, not only to impress others.

@kaunitz - Well the word 'want' here doesn't mean that you've to stop develop yourself. Deeply meaning is the desire for something which we can't get it or it's hard to have it such as beauty, fame, richness which is too far to your ability to do.

I'm trying to practice it everyday but I've never stop doing self-learning, self-improvement. I'm happier because I don't compare myself to a mallionaire nor the superstar. We say 'happiness or sadness is in our mind'.

• 1 month later...

Here I'll will always collect Buddhist quote. You can share me if you have and hope you like ^^.

ว.วชิรเมธี (W.Vajiramedhi)

ที่ใดมีปัญหา ที่นั่นย่อมมีทางออก ปัญหาและทางออกจึงเป็นเสมือนสองด้าน ของเหรียญกษาปณ์อันเดียวกัน เพียงมีสติรู้จักพลิกปัญหา ก็จะพบว่ามีภูมิปัญญาอันเลิศล้ำ รอให้ค้นพบอยู่อย่างท้าทาย

Where there is a problem, there is a way. Problems and solutions are thus Two sides of the same, minted coin. With clever solutions, You will find and exemplary wisdom Boldly waiting to be discovered.

การให้ แค่เพียงคิดจะทำ ใจก็ยังเป็นสุข ครั้นได้ให้แล้ว จิตใจก็แช่มชื่นเบิกบาน เมื่อวันเวลาผ่านไป หวนกลับไปรำลึกถึงดวงหน้าอันเปี่ยมสุขของผู้รับ ความปีติสุขก็ย้อนกลับมาทำให้หัวใจอิ่มเอม

The mere thought of giving Can be so exhilarating. You will experience real joy once you really give. As time goes by, upon recalling the happy faces of Your recipients you will experience joy once more.

ว.วชิรเมธี -W.Vajiramedhi

ความสุขหรือความทุกข์ บางครั้งอยู่ที่ "ท่าที" ในการเผชิญของเราเป็นสำคัญ ถ้า "รู้เท่าทัน" สิ่งที่อยู่ตรงหน้าอย่างมีสติ ทุกข์อาจกลายเป็นสุข ปัญหาอาจกลายเป็นปัญญา วิกฤติอาจถูกแปรเป็นโอกาส

Goodtimes or bad times may depend on Our "attitude" in facing the situation. If we keep our cool and remain perceptive Woe may become joy, Problems may turn into wisdom, And a crisis may become an opportunity.

มนุษย์เกิดมาในโลกอย่างมีความหมาย ไม่มีใครเกิดมาไร้ค่าหรือเกิดมาเพื่อจะถูกลืม ยกเว้นแต่คนที่พยายามจะทำให้คนอื่นลืมตนเอง ไม้ทุกต้น หญ้าทุกชนิด ก็เช่นเดียวกับนอตทุกตัว ที่ถูกผลิตมาเพื่อเหมาะสมกับภารกิจอย่างใดอย่างหนึ่ง ณ เวลาใดเวลาหนึ่งเสมอ

Everyone comes into this world with a purpose.Nobody is born worthless or to be forgotten, Except those who try to make Others forget who they are. Every tree, every type of grass, Is comparable to a knot Produced to serve a specific mission At any one time.

คนที่คิดทางบวกเป็นคนที่โชคดีและได้กำไรเสมอ ส่วนคนที่คิดในทางลบ แม้เรื่องดี ๆ ผ่านเข้ามาในชีวิต ก็ยังไม่รู้จักใช้ให้เป็นประโยชน์กับตน วิธีคิดบ่งบอกอนาคต กำหนดชะตากรรม เราคิดอย่างไรก็จะกลายเป็นคนอย่างนั้น คิดบวก ชีวิตก็เป็นบวก คิดลบ ชีวิตก็ติดลบ

People with positive attitudes are lucky. And will always gain. Those with negative thoughts will be unable to capitalise. Even from the good things that come into their lives. Our thoughts will define our future and destiny.We are what we think we are. Positive thinking leads to a positive life, Whereas negative thoughts will undoubtedly Lead to a negative life.

พระพุทธศาสนา สอนให้แสวงหาความมั่นคงจากภายในของเราเอง เครื่องรางที่แท้ตามแบบฉบับของพระพุทธองค์ไม่ได้อยู่ภายนอก หากแต่อยู่ภายในใจของเราทุกคน

Buddhism Teaches us how to strengthen ourselves Spiritually from within. The true Buddhist talisman is not something external But lies within our own heart.

คนที่ปล่อยตัวปล่อยใจให้ตกเป็นทาสของความโกรธ ต่อให้นอนอยู่บนเตียงราคาแพงลิบลิ่ว ปูด้วยพรมขนสัตว์ที่มีลวดลายบุปผชาติประดับสะพรั่งไปทั้งผืน แต่ถึงกระนั้น การนอนบนเตียงอันอ่อนนุ่ม ก็ไม่อาจช่วยให้เขาหลับตาลงอย่างเป็นสุขได้เลย ตลอดรัตติกาลอันยาวนาน

A person who lets himself be consumed by anger Tends to sleep fitfully, Although lying on an expensive bed, Lined with woolen bed covers Decorated in floral designs Sleeping on a soft, comfortable bed Does not help him sleep soundly throughout the night.

คนเราไม่เคยมีใครดีงามล้ำเลิศ ดุจแท่งทองชมพูนุทออกมาตั้งแต่อ้อนแต่ออกหรอก เราทั้งหลายยังคงจะต้องศึกษากันไป ปฏิบัติกันไป จนกว่าวัยและวันเวลาจะช่วยเยียวยาขัดเกลาให้เข้าที่เข้าทางบ้าง ไม่มากก็น้อยในวันหนึ่งข้างหน้า

There is no such thing as a perfect person, As good as gold from the very moment He or she comes into this world. We still have to carry on learning and practicing. With age and time, we may fine-tune ourselves Until one day, we may become a better person.

คนเราไม่เคยมีใครดีงามล้ำเลิศ ดุจแท่งทองชมพูนุทออกมาตั้งแต่อ้อนแต่ออกหรอก เราทั้งหลายยังคงจะต้องศึกษากันไป ปฏิบัติกันไป จนกว่าวัยและวันเวลาจะช่วยเยียวยาขัดเกลาให้เข้าที่เข้าทางบ้าง ไม่มากก็น้อยในวันหนึ่งข้างหน้า

There is no such thing as a perfect person, As good as gold from the very moment He or she comes into this world. We still have to carry on learning and practicing. With age and time, we may fine-tune ourselves Until one day, we may become a better person.

Yep, and once we are the perfect person, our time is over and done. Unfortunately, we cannot pass our experience to the younger generation as they won't believe us (well, if we all think back to our young days, everybody should agree, I think!). This is why history is replicating again and again.....

@Kaunitz - True that and we in the past didn't believe anything the older people told us so we'd to face the same problem again. If we were wise enough, our life would be easier. Anyway, the experiece that can last in our memory is the one we face it by ourselves ^^.

@Kaunitz - True that and we in the past didn't believe anything the older people told us so we'd to face the same problem again. If we were wise enough, our life would be easier. Anyway, the experiece that can last in our memory is the one we face it by ourselves ^^.

I could not agree more

listen to older people ...they can see many things you cannot imagine!

ที่ใดมีสติปัญญา ณ ที่นั้นถึงมีกิเลสอยู่ กิเลสนั้นก็หมดโอกาสแสดงตัว

Where there is wisdom, defilements will always be subdued even though they still remain.

ที่ใดก็ตามหากขาดสติปัญญา แม้ไม่น่าจะมีปัญหา ก็อาจจะมีปัญหาขึ้นมาได้อย่างไม​่น่าเชื่อ

Where there is no wisdom, however, problems always rear their ugly head even in unlikely places.

• 2 months later...

ที่ใดก็ตามหากขาดสติปัญญา แม้ไม่น่าจะมีปัญหา ก็อาจจะมีปัญหาขึ้นมาได้อย่างไม​่น่าเชื่อ

Where there is no wisdom, however, problems always rear their ugly head even in unlikely places.

Unfortunately, problems always rear their ugly head. So this is a prove for me that wisdom is not really widespread. And if you go through history or talk to the "ordinary" people - yes, even if you talk to - I am tempted to say most - people of the Central European "Civilization", they do not have any wisdom anymore. It really is a sad thing and I hope that our culture will not be crushed soon!

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a perishing society" (Aristoteles - 384-322 BC)

• 1 year later...

It is the fear of losing something you are familiar of that stands in the way for happiness.

happy = a lot of money :evil: WRONG

:) Happy = enough (know when) money so no worries (Can be quite little you know!)

happy = good carrier watch the but ;)

the job that you do, do you really want to do it, or you are doing it for the money, status, privileges or to make you family happy!!!???

To know that real happiness is not the absence of sadness

BIG IS GOOD :mad:

smaller is much better, easier and worry free = happiness

Happy = Love (YOURSELF AS MUCH AS THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU)