My wife has gone more or less berserk in gardening, and to be honest plants in captivity never really interested me, so I forget to give them water, she often forget too because she arrive home quite late, so now I came up with this idea of doing a semiautomatic watering system, does anyone know where to buy :

Arduino Uno Card

GSM or Ethernet Breakout boards (GSM preferred, then she can send the system an SMS not me :D )

thin plastic tubing

magnetic valve

Solar panel for 5V

the rest I think I know where to get :)

My wife has gone more or less berserk in gardening, and to be honest plants in captivity never really interested me, so I forget to give them water, she often forget too because she arrive home quite late, so now I came up with this idea of doing a semiautomatic watering system, does anyone know where to buy :

Arduino Uno Card

GSM or Ethernet Breakout boards (GSM preferred, then she can send the system an SMS not me :D )

thin plastic tubing

magnetic valve

Solar panel for 5V

the rest I think I know where to get :)

Wow, sounds like a pretty hardcore project just for making sure you water your plants. Don't they have something like this you can order fully built?

Wow, sounds like a pretty hardcore project just for making sure you water your plants. Don't they have something like this you can order fully built?

I would think I could find a watering system, that are scheduled in some way, by a clock or something, but it sure would take a way some of the fun in building it Yourself ;)

I feel relatively confident that the sms triggered system is not here yet, but I would think it is comming more and more as "the automated house" is slowly (but surely) arriving ordinary homes... Garagedoors has been there for quite some time now, survailance cameras too, but think if You could turn all electric off during daytime (when You are at work) leaving only a slight current to keep the security triggers alert, and then in case of a breakin, the house wakes up in an instance... Or You are in a trafficjam, so Your food (triggered by a watch) will be cold before You get home, now You know before hand that You will arrive in 15 minutes, send an sms to Your home, and it will have the bath tup filled with water and Your food ready for You when You finish... if You are from a cold area, the heaters will go up and make sure the house has the right temperature for You, when You arrive home...

Things like that is becoming more accessible as the hardware is becoming more cheap, and Arduino project is an OpenSource Hardware project, it's interface is C/C++ (not fully any of them) and there are quite a few OpenSource libraries readily available already, ready to plugin to Your own project code...

Google has another project where Android is the core, but Arduino is still the popular one...

So far I have not found the Arduino cards in Thailand, I live close to Phantip II and IT-Square, but even fortune tower and Phantip (the original one) don't seem to have them...

Google Arduino Bangkok.

Thailand

• Innovative Experiment (INEX) - Thailand (th)
  • Innovative Experiment (INEX) - Global (en) sells the POP-168 Module, that is fully compatible to the arduino Project (Shop in Bangkok, Bangna)
  • NPE (th) best stocked electronic components dealer in Bangkok. One branch is located in Rangsit, Zeer IT Mall, ground floor, at the very end, Another branch is located in Baan Moh area, west end, near the klong.
  • LogicThai (th) sells the Freeduino via Mailorder in Thailand
  • Futurlec (en) Bangkok based Mailorder with a great variety of electronic components and an easy to use online catalogue with all products. Does not sell Arduinos, but has a wide and interesting selection of microcontroller board projects, some probably compatible with the Arduino.
  • Electronic Source (en/th) Similar to Futurelec with a great variety and excellent online catalogue.
  • Amorn Amorn is an electronic components chain found in many shopping malls. Their website got some difficulties when i wrote this and some while ago when i checked. so not an outlet that focusses a lot on selling online. One Branch can be found in the upper floor of old siam. It is an okay stocked place with a focus on LED and Solarpanels plus some components.
  • Baan Moh Area Onlineshopping in Thailand is not as popular as elsewhere. So it is sometimes more usefull to know an area where to find the stuff that you need. For electronic tools, components and sources an area called "Baan Moh" is the best place in Bangkok. It starts opposite street west of the Old Siam Shopping Mall and stretches of 2 or 3 blocks. If you can't find it here, you won't find it anywhere in Thailand. Some of the mailorder shops mentioned have branches in this area.

As for solenoid valves and plastic tubing,you might want to try an air con spares shop. GSM boards? What about those phone shops in MBK?

www.bangkoksolar.com or Google.

There used to be a guy on TF that was into all this solar stuff, named Bruce I think. Can't remember his TF name. Maybe he could point you in right direction. Another TF'er might know who I mean.

Edited by funky_house

I like Your signature :) and after this post I would say the same - "so much to do so little time to do it", that is a very great post, I did not see the Arduino boards on other than the blog page, but I did the search and found this one, and I almost can walk there :cool:

http://www.thaieasyelec.com/

But Your post have a lot of great info anyway, the GSM breakout board is an addition to the Arduino board, and the shop I found has that one...

http://www.thaieasyelec.com/Wireless-Module/GSM-3G

And also a lot of other stuff, I am going to be poor for quite a while I think :D

Thank You very much for taking the time :)

Yeah, his name is Bruce. He's up in Chiang Mai.

Jos, if you need to get in contact with Bruce, let me know.

Thank You Bill, I would like to get a contact, but that would be a larger scale solar power...

But "OH my Buddha" - they have everything I need in that shop I found today from funky_house "kick in the behind" post, even solar panels

http://www.thaieasyelec.com/Power-Supply/Harvest-Energy

.can't wait till tomorrow :rolleyes:

Thank You Bill, I would like to get a contact, but that would be a larger scale solar power...

But "OH my Buddha" - they have everything I need in that shop I found today from funky_house "kick in the behind" post, even solar panels

http://www.thaieasyelec.com/Power-Supply/Harvest-Energy

.can't wait till tomorrow :rolleyes:

one of those links http://www.logicthai.net/node/198 even shows a photo of a simple setup.

Good luck.

one of those links http://www.logicthai.net/node/198 even shows a photo of a simple setup.

Good luck.

That is quite cool, I wonder how he get that small servo to turn the valve though, maybe there is a stronger gear inside, that is why I would prefere a magnetic valve, I basically only need "open 'n' shut" - but cool that he can cover the whole garden and not sprinkle (too much) outside, good thinking :)

That is quite cool, I wonder how he get that small servo to turn the valve though, maybe there is a stronger gear inside, that is why I would prefere a magnetic valve, I basically only need "open 'n' shut" - but cool that he can cover the whole garden and not sprinkle (too much) outside, good thinking :)

You should start a thread or do a blog post on your progress. I love this stuff.