What internet service best?

Chris

What internetconnection do you rate best?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. What internetconnection do you rate best?

• ADSL by CS Loxinfo
    • ADSL by KSC (Mweb)
    • ADSL by TRUE (Asianet)
    • ADSL by TOT
    • Other (Please mention which)

I have about 30 more days to move to bkk so looking into where to live and what's available.

I need fast internet as my work is 100% on the internet. I've been using IPstar (satellite internet) but I really want to connect through adsl, cable or wifi.

I need to have fast internet access, especially international (europe). Been with CS Lox for a years now but generally quite dissatisfied with their speed and service.

What are you all using and what are your remarks?

If any of you live in a house/condo where wifi or adsl is provided directly by the condo, where is it, how does it rate, what is the cost? The reason is that I will probably move to a place maybe first for 3 months to get to know the city better and settle down after that so I may not want to go through the hassle of putting in an adsl line and be stuck for a year at that location.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• 3 months later...

Ok. Some bad thing about True internet.

My friend brought True internect package one month and the sever is asianet. In Rush hour such as in the evening , not easy to conect to True.. Main or remote sever said Password incorrect or expried. And sometimes connected but can't open any pages evenif browser. He pay money for tel.of TA. more and more but can't connect to True internet. What does it mean?(Because his house not in service area of high speed internet)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
no one here cares about internet(prapradaeng -an industrial' area), signed up with true for 1mb get 2.5mb speed pay less than B1000 a month. never experienced problem. somehow, true is not the best when you live in-town

You're lucky if you are actually getting that speed - but you may want to check. I believe all True connections show 2.5mb (on your screen) but in reality they are only giving you the download speed you are paying for. Additionally, ADSL is notorious for not really giving you what you pay for especially during busy times of the day. When a lot of people are online it slows down quite a bit. I don't remember how, but I believe True has a way for you to actually test your connection speed (download and upload speed).

• 1 month later...

Plenty of places to rent monthly that have very good internet access. Centrepointe for one. I'd concentrate on what you're going to do when you find a permanent place.

Question is are you going to sign up for a business account or do it as an end-user resident with something like ADSL.

Here's a place to find plenty of negative TRUE adsl comments. Lot of them are old. Check out the English board.

http://www.adslthailand.com

Honestly most of the people posting there seem like idiots so I'm not surprised they are having problems.

Website also has a "test speed" option on the top right side of the home page.

True's technical support is rather limited. I had to troubleshoot several of my friends' connection because True couldn't help them. Can't really complain though cause my friends were hooking up routers for wireless, but one would expect the ISP provider to be able to communicate the basic connection settings.

I have TRUE adsl and live pretty close to the center of town. Very happy with the speed and connectivity. At times there are problems, like 9:15am to 9:45 yesterday morning. Had trouble connecting to anything outside Thailand. I expect that was more of a country problem then ISP. Having said that, I don't think the apartment buildings near me are close enough to share my adsl node so I don't have "peak time" traffic throughput problems.

Yeah, True always connects at 2.5 megs. But the throughput you actually get is capped pretty close to what you've signed up for.

:)

A lot of people get confused by the perceived connection speed of both ADSL and Cable. If you are looking at your PC, and you use ADSL, you probably see 2.5 Mbps and think 'WOW, I'm getting that'. But in reality that only indicates the max speed supported by the protocol. Cable is even more deceiving. I use cable and mine indicates 100 Mbps. No way do I get that speed. With True you basically get what you pay for. You see 2.5 on your screen but if you only pay for 1 Mbps - that is what you get - 1 Mbps download speed between you and True (upload is slower). If you run a speed test back to True you'll see the speed between you and them. But don't let that deceive you either. The real test isn't between you and True - it's between True and the internet. That's almost always where it gets slow. Has to do a lot with True's capacity, the network itself, and the servers you are trying to reach. Bottom line - you can count on it being slow certain times of day.

• 2 weeks later...
Had trouble connecting to anything outside Thailand. I expect that was more of a country problem then ISP.

I guess that it could be a problem with the DNS routing on the GIX (GlobalInternetXchange) level.

I think that there still is a limit to normal ADSL modems upload capacity to 1 Mbit/sec (0,8) and up to 28 Mbit/sec when downloading but this has of course no usage if your ISP backbone not have enough capacity and support for it. Using different optimized programs for ie ftp protocol could improve downloading instead of using the inbuild ftp programes in browsers like Explorer etc.

What annoying me most is the background Microsoft "user id" checking that steal a lot of your machines power and speed of your bought interenet connection for stupic information and collection of user data/information...... :twisted:

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone using TRUE internet is having the same problem that I am? The connection speed between my pc and TRUE is fine - tests what I'm supposed to get. But actual download speed from the internet has become really slow. I've run several tests of transfer rate speed (download) and get about 128K instead of the actuall 2 meg I'm paying for. Again- between me and TRUE the line tests at 2 meg, but actual download from the internet is only about 128K. I have a feeling True does not have the backbone capacity to handle the internet, but that's a guess. Is anyone else using True having this problem? Have you been able to do anything about it?

I wonder if anyone using TRUE internet is having the same problem that I am? The connection speed between my pc and TRUE is fine - tests what I'm supposed to get. But actual download speed from the internet has become really slow. I've run several tests of transfer rate speed (download) and get about 128K instead of the actuall 2 meg I'm paying for. Again- between me and TRUE the line tests at 2 meg, but actual download from the internet is only about 128K. I have a feeling True does not have the backbone capacity to handle the internet, but that's a guess. Is anyone else using True having this problem? Have you been able to do anything about it?

I think today ISP can fintune their different services and bought peering capacities between them on a much more finegraded level meaning that they paying only for what they need - the maximum profit they can do to sell their services. I have had set up this kind of connections 1994 and at that time there was no kind of hardware and software that could do this but I am sure they have this kind of management tools today. So maybe they just oversell their capacaty and dont care of the peaks so much...just guessing....

so the problem is what kind of bought speed they have divided between their own users they have when peering to the thai interconnected backbone and all their users need too.... and if they growing very fast they can have problem to fix more power all the time

Good to know if anyone have good ADSL ISPs in BKK.....anyone know if you can get your own IP number by ADSL too?

I'm on the True 4Mbps home package. I loved it when I moved in to my apartment (about 8mo ago). Since 3 months their speed really sucks.

All things started going bad when they introduced their vdsl service. They did not upgrade their international bandwidth to suit for their high bandwidth expansion. Instead they started limiting their current users (us).

Maximum speed I get is about 1 Mbps. P2P is trafficshaped by true so maximum ofer there is about 160 Kbps... It's quite a rip-off.

Regular users (opening pages, sending emails) won't experience that much of a problem but when you have to download backups everyday and your download time goes from 7 minutes to almost 2 hours.. then you start getting fed up with their tactics.

Calls to their hotline yielded no results. Please upgrade to an SME package... which means.. they just changed the rules of your subscription, want to sell you a more expensive one and of course.. it cannot just be upgraded... you have to actually sign a new contract for 1 year... so...

I'm downgrading my package to 1Mbps (so at least I pay for what I get) and when the contract is finished I'll try KSC which I've been hearing nothing but good news about.

Good luck ... and if you're not happy with their service... LET THEM KNOW by phone/fax/email and mail (as 50% of their email adresses on their site did not even work)...

Calls to their hotline yielded no results. Please upgrade to an SME package... which means.. they just changed the rules of your subscription, want to sell you a more expensive one and of course.. it cannot just be upgraded... you have to actually sign a new contract for 1 year... so...

I now know exactly what you mean - called their hotline multiple times - what a waste of time. Bottom line - they don't have the capacity to handle all of their customers.

I did discover something interesting though. Their ADSL service is a shared service. Strange since ADSL is not normally shared (cable modem service is). Regardless, even if shared the speed should not be 70 to 80 times slower than what you are paying for. Their answer to that "we don't guarantee the speed" "but we will sell you a more expensive package that doesn't use shared lines..."

TRUE Service sucks and this is the reason why, first of all you gotta understand all connections are going thru a proxy owned by TRUE which limits the Throughput for all international connections. Whatever package you subscriber to, you will get the same crappy speed for international (99.9% of what you are surfing). On the other hand they overprovision with 5 times more subscribers per port than the norm which explain why you are experiencing so much trouble.

To be honest one of the key reason for doing so is the Monopoly of CAT for international Gateway. The Capacity even if it has been extended still remains way too little.

REgulatorby the end of the year should let TRUE invest in its own international gateway and therefore speed will shoot thru the roof.

Cheers

TRUE Service sucks and this is the reason why, first of all you gotta understand all connections are going thru a proxy owned by TRUE which limits the Throughput for all international connections. Whatever package you subscriber to, you will get the same crappy speed for international (99.9% of what you are surfing). On the other hand they overprovision with 5 times more subscribers per port than the norm which explain why you are experiencing so much trouble.

To be honest one of the key reason for doing so is the Monopoly of CAT for international Gateway. The Capacity even if it has been extended still remains way too little.

REgulatorby the end of the year should let TRUE invest in its own international gateway and therefore speed will shoot thru the roof.

Cheers

This pattern (overprovision with 5 times...etc) I know about and it have been the same in Sweden but long time ago. Today its a lot of band with over capacity everywhere here and some private people even have fiber/tp cable with 100 Mbit/sec in their home also with their own ip now...you just feel insecure about how Thailand can manage the rapidly growt of Internet users with higher bandwith needs in near future there.

Another question: I have a very slow speed to TF just 6 oclock in the morning Thai time and just wonder if its the TF server that doing some updating or what? Anyone else having this problem?

I thinking about TRUE coz its cheap and it gonna be cheaper than what I pay for now.. i dont want real fast connection ... but just i already pay in the amount that i can pay for true.. even same quality with dial up but cheaper.. so why not?

But as im EGO-client .... they got high speed internet too ... maybe i will go for it .. coz i have heard alotin here that TRUE is suck ....

• 2 months later...

Once again TRUE comes through! Paying for a 1 MB line now - ran a test this evening to several international (non-Thai) servers. Average response time 85 KB - as in not much faster than dial up !!! :shock: :twisted:

I guess I'm in the wrong business. Going to start a business where I charge people to connect to the internet at 1MB but in reality only let them get 85KB! What a great idea :roll: Hey, maybe I'll get lucky and get some idiots to pay me for a 2 MB line :twisted: :evil:

What the H - if anyone complains I'll just ignore them or say we really don't guarantee connection speed... :wink:

Once again TRUE comes through! Paying for a 1 MB line now - ran a test this evening to several international (non-Thai) servers. Average response time 85 KB - as in not much faster than dial up !!! :shock: :twisted:

I guess I'm in the wrong business. Going to start a business where I charge people to connect to the internet at 1MB but in reality only let them get 85KB! What a great idea :roll: Hey, maybe I'll get lucky and get some idiots to pay me for a 2 MB line :twisted: :evil:

What the H - if anyone complains I'll just ignore them or say we really don't guarantee connection speed... :wink:

ermmm...I'm possibly an idiot.....just started using true.....how do i test it independantly of the true services?