see-buy-fly-Dubai

GoldMember

Off on a last minute 48 hr trip to Dubai this Sunday with a friend.Not exactly our 1 st choice "sunshine" destination..but heck the others were all booked up (caribbean etc).Anyway...we thought best buy the tickets and decide what exactly we do there later.

Interest wise,we both loathe shopping(but could do.1-2 hrs max if pushed if anything is really worth buying ?)... but love middle eastern food..

Is Jumeira worth the bother? .Looks like an A-rab duplicate of Miami beach,minus the art deco but with more tasteful gold taps..ahem.(But with gold at 620$ an ounze they do make a more interesting "take away" proposition than the usual bathroom robes)

Assume the main horse racing season in Dubai must be at/near its end with the European season now getting underway .? Guess there's always camels...right?

Any suggestions/tips how to spend our time gratefully received.

Hi man..

Haven't been there myself. Friends currently there. One of the worst kept secrets is a condo building in the city in which all the air flight attendants from Emirates Airlines live at. You'll have to do some research on that one

Quite useful to know given that your are travelling to quite a strict muslim country...

As far as disco's and nightlife, I've been told its good provided you got ample cash in your wallet.

Hi man..

Haven't been there myself. Friends currently there. One of the worst kept secrets is a condo building in the city in which all the air flight attendants from Emirates Airlines live at. You'll have to do some research on that one

Quite useful to know given that your are travelling to quite a strict muslim country...

As far as disco's and nightlife, I've been told its good provided you got ample cash in your wallet.

Right.....yeah i heard about this Emirates building too.Full of Filipina chicks and such like i guess.obscene-smiley-926.gif

My bro worked in Dubai for a year as an oil trader.He despised it even though he loves travelling .Unfortunately he's currently out of the country .So got 48 hrs to work out why he thinks its the pits with none of his personal guidance.hehe

But hey a couple of bottles of d-f stoly ,some good tucker and sun is all that is required .trink26.gif

Off on a last minute 48 hr trip to Dubai this Sunday with a friend.Not exactly our 1 st choice "sunshine" destination..but heck the others were all booked up (caribbean etc).Anyway...we thought best buy the tickets and decide what exactly we do there later.

Interest wise,we both loathe shopping(but could do.1-2 hrs max if pushed if anything is really worth buying ?)... but love middle eastern food..

Is Jumeira worth the bother? .Looks like an A-rab duplicate of Miami beach,minus the art deco but with more tasteful gold taps..ahem.(But with gold at 620$ an ounze they do make a more interesting "take away" proposition than the usual bathroom robes)

Assume the main horse racing season in Dubai must be at/near its end with the European season now getting underway .? Guess there's always camels...right?

My family's been in Dubai for the past 8 years now and I go there on average twce a year...never for more than 15 days though.

Jumeirah beach is indeed lovely though I daresay it will be very hot suring the day at his time of the year. You're better off going late afternoonish (4 pm)...sunsets in summer are usually late so you will have an hour or so of extra light. One the sun sets, it's really pleasant to walk along the beach in the water...of course, if you're one for views, there's always the famed Burj-al Arab and Jumeirah beach hotels to admire (no breathtaking scenery like Thailand I'm afraid...all man-made). While you're in Jumeriah I really would recommend eating at Jumeirah beach hotel ('wave hotel' - so called for the shape). It is a bit pricey but they do a fabulous buffet for around Dhs.300 a head. The view from their rooftop is spectacular and you will be able to see the Burj a lot closer.

There is also the new ski-resort off Sheikh Zayad road that's been attracting tons of people. I've not been there yet myself but I hear you get to go romp in the snow and ski and blah blah...you can rent proper clothes and the price is quite reasonable. Past the ski-resort and further into the emirate of Jebel Ali is the mall of the emirates (Ibn-Batuta)...I think it deserves a visit - if not for the shopping then for the restaurants and just the interior design. It's actually a combination of 4 malls, each done in a different theme (Egyptian, Moroccan etc).

Desert safari's are next I think. For about Dhs. 300 a head you can get picked up from your hotel, get driven through the sand dunes to an 'oasis' where they have food and drink and games. Oh and bellydancers too.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the horseracing bits because I really don't know much about that.

It's basically a really modern and posh city in the middle of a desert. You'll get plenty of Indian, Lebanese and Chinese food but for reasonable rates on these I'd suggest venturing into Satwa or Deira.

That's all I can think of right now but if I remember anything I'll let you know. Most of my holidays are spent on family meals with rowdy siblings :D

Hi man..

That building would be on Sheikh Zayad road...stone's throw from where I live actually. I often see the Emirates vans with the attached luggage car making it's rounds picking the girls up. It's not just one building though...they're spread out all along SZR.

P' Charlie .... buy me a house at the artificial Island.

Mmmm ... Pita & humous...... duay :roll:

hmm Beckham as a neighbour too. "nice ere innit and got any milk guv".No thanks .Hes all yours KB :wink:

I'll Just stick to the pita/humous/mezzes etc :D

My family's been in Dubai for the past 8 years now and I go there on average twce a year...never for more than 15 days though.

Jumeirah beach is indeed lovely though I daresay it will be very hot suring the day at his time of the year. You're better off going late afternoonish (4 pm)...sunsets in summer are usually late so you will have an hour or so of extra light. One the sun sets, it's really pleasant to walk along the beach in the water...of course, if you're one for views, there's always the famed Burj-al Arab and Jumeirah beach hotels to admire (no breathtaking scenery like Thailand I'm afraid...all man-made). While you're in Jumeriah I really would recommend eating at Jumeirah beach hotel ('wave hotel' - so called for the shape). It is a bit pricey but they do a fabulous buffet for around Dhs.300 a head. The view from their rooftop is spectacular and you will be able to see the Burj a lot closer.

There is also the new ski-resort off Sheikh Zayad road that's been attracting tons of people. I've not been there yet myself but I hear you get to go romp in the snow and ski and blah blah...you can rent proper clothes and the price is quite reasonable. Past the ski-resort and further into the emirate of Jebel Ali is the mall of the emirates (Ibn-Batuta)...I think it deserves a visit - if not for the shopping then for the restaurants and just the interior design. It's actually a combination of 4 malls, each done in a different theme (Egyptian, Moroccan etc).

Desert safari's are next I think. For about Dhs. 300 a head you can get picked up from your hotel, get driven through the sand dunes to an 'oasis' where they have food and drink and games. Oh and bellydancers too.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the horseracing bits because I really don't know much about that.

It's basically a really modern and posh city in the middle of a desert. You'll get plenty of Indian, Lebanese and Chinese food but for reasonable rates on these I'd suggest venturing into Satwa or Deira.

That's all I can think of right now but if I remember anything I'll let you know. Most of my holidays are spent on family meals with rowdy siblings :D

wow nice load of useful info...appreciate it.thanks

If youre looking for some decent nightlife, then try a bar called Rock Bottom, thats where all the airline staff hang out, its usually pretty good with live music etc.........or try the Irish Village, again pretty good atmosphere and usually live music too, Ive never had a bad night in there.

Jumeirah beach is good to go and see, its a nice place but it can also be an expensive place to hang out. If youve got a reasonable budget then go for it, dont expect too much of an atmosphere though.

Sorry I cant help you with any horse racing details.

If you get bored, brush up on your Thai and go to the York International Hotel, lots of Thai girls in the upstairs club, and lots of other nationalities too but I wouldnt go there if your travelling friend is female ;-)