marrying a thai girl...

skurfer

Someone asked the question what do the less affluent Thai guys do. Obviously they pay less.

If the parents as you for a million baht just because you're a Farang the you and your intended need to have a talk.

If you and your business partner were going into an office of a major supplier, you'd talk together about how much you wanted to pay, how much you were prepared to pay and how much you could afford to pay. Yet I'm astounded by how many dumb ***** go charging into what could be considered their most important business meeting ever, unprepared.

Talk to the woman, fix a price, go into the meeting prepared. If she's genuinely into you she'll be your biggest ally in getting a fair price, if not you'll see, unless you're blinded by her bullshit, whether she's putting the relationship first or the cash...

And if you don't want to haggle over your woman like a side of beef, you can pay a marriage arranger to sit with the parents and do it for you... joy!

Awesome....only two typo's...did you have a hard wekend?......

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with 2Unique. In a recent discussion with..errr... someone, she let me know that whatever the amount, it would pretty much all be used by.... errrr.... her and her beloved, to pay for their house deposit or similar. The amount does not become such a problem if you know you are going ot get it all back anyway.

The only two groups that seem to be paying never to be seen again sin-sot are those high-so to high-so marriages, and farang who marry girls(and their families) looking for financial gain. Bar girls, ex-bar girls, girls with out careers (as opposed to jobs), girls who hang out at Q Bar style bars are all likely to ask for inflated sin-sots you will never see again IMHO. I welcome evidence to the contrary.

Someone asked the question what do the less affluent Thai guys do. Obviously they pay less.

If the parents as you for a million baht just because you're a Farang the you and your intended need to have a talk.

If you and your business partner were going into an office of a major supplier, you'd talk together about how much you wanted to pay, how much you were prepared to pay and how much you could afford to pay. Yet I'm astounded by how many dumb ***** go charging into what could be considered their most important business meeting ever, unprepared.

Talk to the woman, fix a price, go into the meeting prepared. If she's genuinely into you she'll be your biggest ally in getting a fair price, if not you'll see, unless you're blinded by her bullshit, whether she's putting the relationship first or the cash...

And if you don't want to haggle over your woman like a side of beef, you can pay a marriage arranger to sit with the parents and do it for you... joy!

Awesome....only two typo's...did you have a hard wekend?......

Got home 5am after Halloween Party and raised my carcass at 9am to meet the in-laws... pretty normal "wekend"

Perfect...hope they kept their voices at a reasonable level...nothing worse than noisy humans when your trying to sleep......

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! you hit the point right on here! no shame in a little good natured haggling! lol

As for how and when to bring up the issue, you don't have to worry about it for sure. Just go ahead and ask her and that should be quite enough. If she is keen on the idea she will inform all the other necessary parties, and invite you to meet her parents. It is likely that she will ask you about sinsot and even suggest an amount if it is going to be important for her or her family.

Don't be surprised if the parents sit down with you at your first meeting for a talk about who you are, what your basic beliefs are, and your plans for the future. They will bring up every point that they feel need be covered at this point, feel free to bring up any of your own. If sinsot is possibly going to be an issue in the near future then they will most likely bring it up. And no need to come to an agreement on the first discussion, maybe it would be better not to. Listen to what they have to say, go away and talk to your girl and whoever else you need to talk to. Then go back and try to come to some agreement with them. There might also be other family members who might have say in what is finally agreed upon.

In my experience in Thailand these kinds of things, including marriage proposals, are usually totally casual discussions at first where you just talk about possibilities and only later after both parties have had a chance to go away and think things over does the discussion get more serious.

Now Skurfer... with all this invaluable advice that has been offered to you, what we TF's are all desperate to learn, is when are you going to take the plunge? Will you keep us all informed please :D

Regards,

Robert

PS One aspect of this discussion that might be interesting to explore is whether there is any difference in those marriages that remain local in Thailand and those men who decide to wisk their brides away to a foreign land where the potential for the Thai lady to become homesick ( ¤Ô´¶Ö§ºéÒ¹ - kitung baan) is very real? Does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience of this?

Has this been here already?

This link is to warn about anyone, ANYONE marrying a thai lady who you have bought (so called "Thai bride") with a stolen credit card!

:evil:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ashen1/ashen/cartoon/heffalump.html

arg.. this is just deranged.. inspired by Beavis and Buthead it seems.. though even more poorly done.. if that is possible..

Now Skurfer... with all this invaluable advice that has been offered to you, what we TF's are all desperate to learn, is when are you going to take the plunge? Will you keep us all informed please :D

Regards,

Robert

PS One aspect of this discussion that might be interesting to explore is whether there is any difference in those marriages that remain local in Thailand and those men who decide to wisk their brides away to a foreign land where the potential for the Thai lady to become homesick ( ¤Ô´¶Ö§ºéÒ¹ - kitung baan) is very real? Does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience of this?

hahah...well the plunge probably wont be for some time...i've been in iraq for a year and well, she was not too keen on that. i dunno what is going to happen when i get back in a few weeks. its kinda up in the air but was just curious.

i've already met her parents, we spent a few days at her families home when i was out of iraq in leave in april....

at this point it i could go either way. but if things go well i was thinking of taking the plunge/popping the question in february or so...maybe march.

• 1 month later...
what do i absoultely NOT do?!?haha

Well, if you do get invited to meet her folks in her village...

Physical signs of affection in pubic are not appreciated though and you should not be overly familiar with your girlfriend or wife. Her biggest worry will be that you touch or kiss her in front of friends or family. She will really appreciate zero physical contact in public while you are in the village. If you are not married do Not expect to sleep with your girlfriend in the village. Village Thai's are very conservative and while they are probably well aware of what you get up to in Pattaya they will be very relieved if you behave yourself in the village.