offical One day World Cup Thread

CiaranM

IRELAND has chosen St Patrick's Day to produce the greatest upset in World Cup history here today.

It defeated mighty Pakistan by three wickets to send the 1992 champion, and one of game's undisputed superpowers, crashing out of the tournament.

The win for Ireland, made up mostly of part-timers and foreign imports, was secured when skipper Trent Johnston hit a huge six off Azhar Mahmood from the fourth ball of the 43rd over at Sabina Park.

3 Australians and 2 South Africans in the squad or something stupid.

It wasn't Ireland that beat Pakistan now was it!

Mind you England have an Irishman and 2 South Africans (not to mention a spinner with Indian heritage and seamer with Pakistani heritage) in our squad so I can't really talk!

don't talk complete bollocks .... look at how many "foreigners" have played for and even captained the "England" cricket team !!!!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IRELAND has chosen St Patrick's Day to produce the greatest upset in World Cup history here today.

It defeated mighty Pakistan by three wickets to send the 1992 champion, and one of game's undisputed superpowers, crashing out of the tournament.

The win for Ireland, made up mostly of part-timers and foreign imports, was secured when skipper Trent Johnston hit a huge six off Azhar Mahmood from the fourth ball of the 43rd over at Sabina Park.

3 Australians and 2 South Africans in the squad or something stupid.

It wasn't Ireland that beat Pakistan now was it!

Mind you England have an Irishman and 2 South Africans (not to mention a spinner with Indian heritage and seamer with Pakistani heritage) in our squad so I can't really talk!

don't talk complete bollocks .... look at how many "foreigners" have played for and even captained the "England" cricket team !!!!

Tony Greig in the 70's (now he is an australian when he feel's like it)!!!

Ireland's team is more than half native born and bred Irish players. England's team has used imports from South Africa and Zimbabwe for decades.

One of the ironies is that England's opening batsman, Joyce, is completely Irish and would I'm sure have chosen to play for Ireland except that they are not a test nation and he owes to himself as a professional cricketer to play for England if he has a chance. So rather than profiting from playing foreigners Ireland may be losing from the flexible rules here....

Ireland's team is more than half native born and bred Irish players. England's team has used imports from South Africa and Zimbabwe for decades.

One of the ironies is that England's opening batsman, Joyce, is completely Irish and would I'm sure have chosen to play for Ireland except that they are not a test nation and he owes to himself as a professional cricketer to play for England if he has a chance. So rather than profiting from playing foreigners Ireland may be losing from the flexible rules here....

I think you'll find that with the exceptions of Hollioake, Denness and Greig, all the 'foreigners' you refer to are actually fully entitled to represent their country, which THEY chose as England.

Are you suggesting that WE should determine THEIR identity. An outrageous suggestion. Would CiranaM, Treborz and Niranahm like me and others to tell them what is their identity? I suspect not. Let it be.

i would never dream of telling anybody what their identity or nationality was .... unless it's a f**king pissed up american with a great great granny from "Shannon" telling me how f**king Irish he/she is !!!!

if u would read my post i'm responding to someone saying "it wasn't ireland who beat them" .... well my understanding is that all the players in the irish team are qualified to play for ireland in this tournament ... so it was ireland who f**king beat them. i found it particularly ironic coming from someone who appears to support england ... a team with a long history of picking "foreign players".

just felt it was a case of the pot calling the kettle black !!

I reckon it has to be way up there, it was sensational, they didnt just play an also ran they played one of the greatest one day sides in the world.

Add that to the fact it was done on St. Patricks Day and hell that's cause for a public holiday. Good grief I reckon an invasion of England for historical payback is on the cards.

To be sure to be sure.

I think you'll find that with the exceptions of Hollioake, Denness and Greig, all the 'foreigners' you refer to are actually fully entitled to represent their country, which THEY chose as England.

Are you suggesting that WE should determine THEIR identity. An outrageous suggestion. Would CiranaM, Treborz and Niranahm like me and others to tell them what is their identity? I suspect not. Let it be.

i would never dream of telling anybody what their identity or nationality was .... unless it's a f**king pissed up american with a great great granny from "Shannon" telling me how f**king Irish he/she is !!!!

if u would read my post i'm responding to someone saying "it wasn't ireland who beat them" .... well my understanding is that all the players in the irish team are qualified to play for ireland in this tournament ... so it was ireland who f**king beat them. i found it particularly ironic coming from someone who appears to support england ... a team with a long history of picking "foreign players".

ciranaM. good answer. for me it's a great result for ireland. doesn't matter where the players are from, they're eligible and they want to play for ireland/england.

btw - is the greatest irish sporting achievement ever? i think it must be right up there????

If you re-read my post you will notice that I pointed out Englands use of "overseas" players so was not having a go.

I just found it amusing listening to Jeremy Bray being interviewed after making his ton vs Zimbabwe only to hear him speak with an Australian accent.

Anyway fair play to Ireland, good to see them make the super eights and knock out one of the big guns.

Against that great cricketing nation Netherlands, the Aussies made it 2 in a row having previously accounted for that other great cricketing country Scotland.

"A WORLD Cup record fourth-wicket partnership of 204 between Brad Hodge and Michael Clarke helped Australia romp to a 229-run win over the Netherlands in their Group A match at Warner Park today.

The Netherlands lost 5-10 in reply to be 5-46 before eventually making 129 all out in 26.5 overs with spinner Brad Hogg taking 4-27."

Against that great cricketing nation Netherlands, the Aussies made it 2 in a row having previously accounted for that other great cricketing country Scotland.

"A WORLD Cup record fourth-wicket partnership of 204 between Brad Hodge and Michael Clarke helped Australia romp to a 229-run win over the Netherlands in their Group A match at Warner Park today.

The Netherlands lost 5-10 in reply to be 5-46 before eventually making 129 all out in 26.5 overs with spinner Brad Hogg taking 4-27."

well ain't oz just the bees knees at cricket

thanks for the update though- i find myself completely unmoved by the world cup for some reason though normally enjoy watching....

oh yeah- i don't get it on my tv :P

I got a few card nights coming up when the WC gets to the serious end of the comp. If you're in Bangkok around that time let me know I'll have it on tv for my Kiwi, English and WI mates, assuming the final isnt between Ireland and Scotland!

well ain't oz just the bees knees at cricket

thanks for the update though- i find myself completely unmoved by the world cup for some reason though normally enjoy watching....

oh yeah- i don't get it on my tv :P

I got a few card nights coming up when the WC gets to the serious end of the comp. If you're in Bangkok around that time let me know I'll have it on tv for my Kiwi, English and WI mates, assuming the final isnt between Ireland and Scotland!

Yeah right, heard it before.

Bought the Ping clubs yet :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sad news about the pakistan Coach.

The pressure of failure obviously too much and unbearable.

Sad loss

Yeah right, heard it before.

Bought the Ping clubs yet :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sad news about the pakistan Coach.

The pressure of failure obviously too much and unbearable.

Sad loss

Well mate you missed out on the first one, so we will have to wait to take your money.

Callaways mate, ordered them.

Bob Woolmer has passed away, aged 58, just reported on BBC radio.

A former English test batsman, was a ,lovely, lovely man.

I for one am very sad. Cricket has lost a true gentleman and a great thinker.

I just read about it in the Aussie paper, sad day, I was only watching him being interviewed on Saturday.

that is tragic news ... a great sportsman and gentleman .... big loss for cricket !!

Freddie Flintoff gets dropped and stripped of the vice captaincy after a night on the lash ends in him being rescued at sea, after falling out of a dingy at 4 In the morning...

Ahhhhh what a leader and a TRUE Enger-lish man lol

Must of been a delayed reaction to losing The Ashes Stevie!!! :?

Freddie Flintoff gets dropped and stripped of the vice captaincy after a night on the lash ends in him being rescued at sea, after falling out of a dingy at 4 In the morning...

Ahhhhh what a leader and a TRUE Enger-lish man lol

I read this story and laughed my arse off.

Remember when the Aussies thrashed the POM's during the Ashes series ( I couldnt help it guys sorry) and the English Cricket Board said how disciplined the team approach would be in the future, well here we are, the following series no less, and what happens the boys are pissed and dorky Flintoff nearly drowns himself.

I will be saying a prayer that if Ireland makes it through they play England (assuming they make it through) and beat them, can you imagine!!

I will be saying a prayer that if Ireland makes it through they play England (assuming they make it through) and beat them, can you imagine!!

it's about as likely as female TF member buying me a premium membership .... but we can still hope !!!!

I could see Ireland beating us. After all we weren't exactly on fire vs Canada, who in my opinion are the 3rd worst team in the tournament behind Bermuda and Holland.

In what is one of the biggest shocks in cricketing history, debutants Ireland were on Wednesday ensured a place in the World Cup Super Eights thanks to Pakistan's thumping consolation win over Zimbabwe.

Ireland previously tied with Zimbabwe and upset Pakistan in a three-wicket win, and will progress from Group D to the second phase of one-day cricket's showpiece tournament along with hosts the West Indies.

In what is one of the biggest shocks in cricketing history, debutants Ireland were on Wednesday ensured a place in the World Cup Super Eights thanks to Pakistan's thumping consolation win over Zimbabwe.

Ireland previously tied with Zimbabwe and upset Pakistan in a three-wicket win, and will progress from Group D to the second phase of one-day cricket's showpiece tournament along with hosts the West Indies.

what do u mean a shock .... i thought it was a foregone conclusion !!

now what's the odds on winning the Damm thing !!!

Hmm that is sad news indeed.

All seems a little suspicious to me though, the way he was found.

Well I called it....this is truelly shocking...it has to be one of the Pakistani entourage i would imagine if it turns out he was strangled.

Woolmer death treated as murder

Woolmer's death has cast a shadow over the World Cup

Police in Jamaica have launched a murder investigation into the death of Pakistan cricket coach Bob Woolmer.

Following the results of a post mortem examination, police said Mr Woolmer had died of asphyxia as a result of manual strangulation.

The chief police commissioner appealed for anyone with information to come forward.

Woolmer, 58, was found in his hotel room on Sunday, the day after his team lost to Ireland in the World Cup.

Source http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6482981.stm