Dollar/Baht... SUCKS

condotown

07 March 2007

How many baht is a dollar worth today?

32.7986 - www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

32.63 - www.thailandfriends.com/index.php?name=Portal

34.88-35.53 - www.bangkokbank.com

35.20-25 - www.bangkokpost.com

35.53 - 32.63 = 2.9 baht per dollar difference depending on where you are buying and selling

This is totally ridiculous. There needs to be one exchange rate. Somebody in the Thai government or central bank is doing some major skimming in front of the eyes of the international community.

I wouldn't mention this out loud if I could get a piece of that action.

The exchange rate is constantly moving against the dollar and baht as the dollar is totally free floating and the baht is for the most part too.

Also, rates of exchange vary on WHO is buying or selling, investment banks trying to hedge their bets by buying into the baht by the billions get the lower end of the rates and joe smith changing a 100 usd get the other end.

07 March 2007

How many baht is a dollar worth today?

32.7986 - www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

32.63 - www.thailandfriends.com/index.php?name=Portal

34.88-35.53 - www.bangkokbank.com

35.20-25 - www.bangkokpost.com

35.53 - 32.63 = 2.9 baht per dollar difference depending on where you are buying and selling

This is totally ridiculous. There needs to be one exchange rate. Somebody in the Thai government or central bank is doing some major skimming in front of the eyes of the international community.

I wouldn't mention this out loud if I could get a piece of that action.

Someone is getting rich but it ain't me, The Bank of Thailand will give you a different rate as well!!!It's needs to be higher!!

All depends where u convert, how much and so on. As an example: if u buy goods in foreign currency using an Ames card u get a much better exchange rate than with VISA or Mastercard. Banks generally rape u, to the point that my Swiss bank manager actually admitted to being embarrassed at what I was being charged. Surprisingly the best rates for dollar/baht exchange seem to be at the aiport, but that is not practical for most.

However, for those with a longer term point of view, start selling those baht. A year from now we will be back somewhere close to 40/USD.

I have been wondering about this also. Last week I was getting 34.5 or so. It surprised me to see the rate on TF. I will check the US Wall Street Journal and my Bloomberg terminal tomorrow that are pretty accurate for interbank conversions of billions. I understand for my small $100 they must give me a little worse rate, but 3 baht is crazy.

My Mastercard charges me 3% for conversion so I don't use it. Used the ATM a week ago and surprise, this year the Thai ATMs are charging 1% conversion fee...last year no fee.

I have a question, I get paid in the USD and will have to make a payment request before the end of March. Payment will be sent to my Paypal account then converted to THB (Bangkok Bank), which I choose U.S. Dollar as my Primary currency. Is it possible to have it changed to GBP or EUR or money will be converted from USD to THB anyway?

My last payment was nasty due to the fluctuation. I have checked xe.com and tried to convert, lets say 250 USD+ to EUR, GBP, THB and SGD.. the differences are not that much but I prefer to get money as much as possible. CAD, JPY, CNY, HKD, MYR seem to give lower exchange rate so I will stick to USD/EUR/GBP/SGD. Or am I wrong? I hate Maths *sigh*

Any advice about my paypal account or currency exchange? I have 2 choices to get my income - paypal (1 week) AND a cheque from Canada (which takes 4-6 weeks) :roll:

repeat: money will be paid in USD and sent directly to Paypal.

I have a question, I get paid in the USD and will have to make a payment request before the end of March. Payment will be sent to my Paypal account then converted to THB (Bangkok Bank), which I choose U.S. Dollar as my Primary currency. Is it possible to have it changed to GBP or EUR or money will be converted from USD to THB anyway?

My last payment was nasty due to the fluctuation. I have checked xe.com and tried to convert, lets say 250 USD+ to EUR, GBP, THB and SGD.. the differences are not that much but I prefer to get money as much as possible. CAD, JPY, CNY, HKD, MYR seem to give lower exchange rate so I will stick to USD/EUR/GBP/SGD. Or am I wrong? I hate Maths *sigh*

Any advice about my paypal account or currency exchange? I have 2 choices to get my income - paypal (1 week) AND a cheque from Canada (which takes 4-6 weeks) :roll:

repeat: money will be paid in USD and sent directly to Paypal.

U don't want to screw around. If u convert from USD to another currency and then into thai baht u will be paying a series of transaction costs that will outweigh any curency gain. Also, a lot of the Thai banks only accept money in USD or baht...meaning that if u bring in, say, GPB, they convert to USd and then to baht. Is this robbery? Yes.

Given that u spend a lot of time in KL u might want to consider converting USD into Malaysian currency but I don't know what the value of that currency versus USD is.

As for the differing rates, you get a better rate depending on the amount or bill size. So you get a better rate with a $100 bill than you do with a $20. I notice some online purchase sites use xe.com which seems transfer it at the $1 rate.

Here's the bangkok bank rates, as an example, for buying baht w/dollars.

USD1 USD : 1 33.98

USD5 USD : 5-20 34.36

USD50 USD : 50-100 34.84

You get the best rates if you transfer via TT (tele transfer) from one account to another. That rate is 35.11 (but then you have to do an amount large enough to make sense, because the flat fee for TT is like $30-$35, or whatever the banks charge).

My apologies to all those adversely affected by mismanged US fiscal policy, but I didn't vote for the idiots who are running the show now.

For currency rates this site seems pretty good.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Personal+Banking/Foreign+Exchange/FX+Rates/default.htm

I was lucky in this regard... transferred a great sum of money over when the buck was at about 40 to 1. so now transferring it back.

Hope it will rebound, or this is not such "good luck" afterall.

But i don't think anyone really cares about that. So i'll stop.

-RilinJUH!

a lot of the Thai banks only accept money in USD or baht...meaning that if u bring in, say, GPB, they convert to USd and then to baht. Is this robbery? Yes.

ahh... I really have no clue how currency exchanging works.. but if it goes like this, I should stick with USD>THB with no other currencies involved.

Given that u spend a lot of time in KL u might want to consider converting USD into Malaysian currency

Like I said, money will be transferred directly from the company :arrow: Paypal :arrow: my bank - electronically. I checked Paypal, it say that I can send/receive payments in: Australian$ / Canadian$ /Czech Koruna /Danish Krone/ Euros / HKD / Hungarian Forint / NZD/ Norwegian Krone / Polish Zloty / Pounds Sterling / SGD / Swedish Krona / Swiss Franc / U.S. Dollar / Yen ........ No Malaysian ringgit *sigh* and MYR >> THB doesnt make much difference anyway.