New York - Bangkok Nonstop!

khun_lung

Question

There has already been some discussion here about Thai Airways offering nonstop services between New York and Bangkok. Well, it's going to happen!

My apartment has an unobstructed view of the Skytrain as it passes every few minutes and this morning a train passed with advertising for the Thai Airways nonstop New York service! It doesn't say when, but it's coming soon!

If you have a globe and put a string on it and measure the distance from Bangkok to New York, you will soon discover that it's halfway around the world! At least in the northern hemisphere. That's a staggering feat as I see it, but something very welcome, though I wouldn't fly to New York myself.

The world keps getting smaller, and smaller, and smaller! Very cool!

8 answers to this question

yeah i think this will happen as soon as they get the new airbus aircraft. it's bigger than a 747 and has longer range. probably will come with cool stuff like video on demand and a power outlet for your laptop too.

i'll probably still fly northwest coz a) i got over 100k airmiles and i'm in the so-called 'gold club' (i dont have to wait in line and get double airmiles when i fly northwest) and B) i need to stop at narita so i can stock up on cool kitty-chan items at the airport shop.

i got a question kinda related to this, if you fly to bkk from the USA which way do you fly, i guess if your on the west coast you fly west across the pacific, but if your on the east coast do you still fly west or do you fly east across the atlantic and then eurasia, i would think somewhere like new york must be about halfway around the world so could fly both ways and not make much difference in distance !

:?:

east coast you still fly across the pacific. usually i fly northwest and change planes at narita. i think it is shorter from nyc to east asia than the other way. however, you'd fly via europe to india.

btw how much is a round trip from bkk to hong kong usually? is around 4250 baht a good price, or only average.

yes something like that. In 2002 we fly from bkk to hong kong (for around that price) with Fin Air.

btw...anybody knows straight flights from Brussels - Bangkok? :)

It'sa good price, I think, for a flight for 2h30. I payed only ? 495 (special promotion) Amsterdam - BKK via HKK with Cathay Pacific (include the trainticket to A'dam, exclude the airporttax, which is ? 60) that makes approximately sometnig more than 24000 TB.

Boecky, there is no durect flight from Brussels to BKK. Either you have to go to Amsterdam or CDG Paris. Amsterdam has mostly the cheapest flights and the airport is one of the most comfortable and relaxed one in the world.

Eric

BKK 0:40 JFK 06:35 TG790 Total travel time 16h 55m

JFK 12:00 BKK 16:10 +1 TG791 Total travel time 17h 10m

Flights are on an Airbus 345 with Business, Premium Economy and Economy. In comparison SIA has a limited number of seats (<200) and the lowest class is Executive Economy.

So I expect Thai to be a cheaper option. We'll see.

There is nothing like an airbus 345, Conor, probably it was an airbus 340-500.