AIRLINE RANKING 2009

Hugo

Fly Emirates : It starts my hometown ( Duesseldorf ) , so not far to airport ( 5 miles ) , it stops in Dubai ( make a short smoke and buy marlboros for 10 Dollar for a big pack , and walk a while ) , and after 2 hours it goes to Bangkok ...

The service on Board is very well , also have entertain monitor in Seats for make games , or look cinema ...

The prices also ok , so Emirates its my favorite !

In Thailand ? I take Thai Air for national flights ..

About german ( iam german ) airlines ? Only Lufthansa is ok , but expencive ! Air.Berlin ? Before named LTU . They have no comfort , the seats to much together , service is bad ...So better no try it !

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qantas closure will cost 123 Thai jobs

Writer: BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA

Published: 3/09/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: Business

"Australia's Qantas Airways is closing its Bangkok cabin attendant base, firing 123 Thai crew members to cut costs and weather the industry downturn.

The Thai crew, who were under contract with the recruitment agency Adecco Thailand, received termination notices on Tuesday and will be jobless from Oct 25, said an industry source.

Qantas wants to reduce costs by A$1.5 billion over the next three years after reporting an 88% drop in net profit for the year ended in June.

As well, an agreement with Qantas's Australian union capped the number of non-Australian staff at 20% of total manpower in order to protect Australian jobs.

With flights cut due to the slump in traffic demand, non-Australian attendant numbers have exceeded the limit.

Qantas management was pleased with the Thai crew in terms of cost savings, efficiency and ability to deal with Thai and Asian passengers, but were under union pressure to end the contracts.

The Thai attendants work on the London-Bangkok-Sydney route and earn roughly a third of the wages earned by their Australian colleagues.

Last November, United Airlines shut down its Thai crew base, leaving 110 Thai cabin attendants unemployed.

Though they will receive severance packages exceeding Thai labour law requirements, some Thai staff are reportedly planning to sue Qantas and its Thai recruitment agency over the job losses."

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/aviation/23162/qantas-closure-will-cost-123-thai-jobs

Qantas closure will cost 123 Thai jobs

Writer: BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA

Published: 3/09/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: Business

"Australia's Qantas Airways is closing its Bangkok cabin attendant base, firing 123 Thai crew members to cut costs and weather the industry downturn.

The Thai crew, who were under contract with the recruitment agency Adecco Thailand, received termination notices on Tuesday and will be jobless from Oct 25, said an industry source.

Qantas wants to reduce costs by A$1.5 billion over the next three years after reporting an 88% drop in net profit for the year ended in June.

As well, an agreement with Qantas's Australian union capped the number of non-Australian staff at 20% of total manpower in order to protect Australian jobs.

With flights cut due to the slump in traffic demand, non-Australian attendant numbers have exceeded the limit.

Qantas management was pleased with the Thai crew in terms of cost savings, efficiency and ability to deal with Thai and Asian passengers, but were under union pressure to end the contracts.

The Thai attendants work on the London-Bangkok-Sydney route and earn roughly a third of the wages earned by their Australian colleagues.

Last November, United Airlines shut down its Thai crew base, leaving 110 Thai cabin attendants unemployed.

Though they will receive severance packages exceeding Thai labour law requirements, some Thai staff are reportedly planning to sue Qantas and its Thai recruitment agency over the job losses."

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/aviation/23162/qantas-closure-will-cost-123-thai-jobs

The airline industry has been hit very hard by the GFC and Swine Flu not very many airlines have made much profit in the last 6 to 12 months!!!! Sad for the employee's!!! :cry: :cry:

• 2 months later...
And just for the record:

BKK is a 3 Star Airport out of 5, means "fair" (between poor and good).

Full report and passenger comments under

:arrow: http://www.airlinequality.com/AirportRanking/bkk_suv.htm :idea:

For what its worth ...I'd give it 3.5 ( my first visit in and out)

New and clean (should be right! just opened)

...I didn't care for the decor,for lack of a better choice: Modern ...too much cement and metal--cold! lacked warmth (seemed un -Thai on reflection)

The domestic side was very effective (flew TG) and efficent!

International side was a little crazed...not because of the numbers going thru

just not organized smoothly (flew in TG -- out NWA) signage leaving was not great (I rarely get lost, but had to scratch my head acouple of times)

and to trek to and from the gates...Wow connections could be missed and better get in shape! even with the horizonal escalators

bags were handled quickly and well

Thanks all for the previous forums and advise...it was a help!

My Thoughts:

Top Ten are:

1 Cathay Pacific

2 Singapore Airlines- Awesome, a service you'd expect from singapore

3 Asiana Airlines

4 Qatar Airways- really did surprise me with how good they were, my only issue is europe to asia they take a lot longer due to stop over time.

5 Emirates- in general good- but very inconsistent depending on route

6 Qantas

7 Etihad Airways - Very good, just not quite up there. price always good

8 Air New Zealand- awesome service, don't run routes I need though

9 Malaysia Airlines- excellent, good service food good

10 Thai Airways - price always rules them out

Other I've used

Finaire- Manchester to Hong Kong 13 hours!!!!!! food's not great but in general the time saving is worth it

British Airways- very good, not excellent but price is always a bit more

KLM, it's good but they seem to suffer some sort of lost luggage bug

Air France- I'll let you know in new year!

I fly on quality/price but more on who can provide shortest journey time. It's amazing UK to Thailand I can do a massive range of journey times 12- 30 hours. I'll always pay a bit more to be close to 12 hours.

12 hours sound like a dream...try it sometime from the US mate!

if it were only 12 I'd go again next month...Thailand's lucky

the distance is keeping the ugly American away :wink:

Well finnair is a dream for time- it's what I use on business trips, the saving of 4-5 hours by shorter flight is an acceptable business expense when overall it adds an extra day work.

12 hours sound like a dream...try it sometime from the US mate!

if it were only 12 I'd go again next month...Thailand's lucky

the distance is keeping the ugly American away :wink:

Well finnair is a dream for time- it's what I use on business trips, the saving of 4-5 hours by shorter flight is an acceptable business expense when overall it adds an extra day work.

Yeah the time savings can justify it!

I dream about the days when flying Business Class was acceptable (when it was only about 30-40% more than Econ) now you have to take out a second mortage since its 3-4 times coach! :x

But Gulfair are singing my tune @ the min, Fare wise, Heathrow to BKK return

380.00 GBP 1st wk in Jan. at least 30% Cheaper than rest .Excluding Jetair ways. (but they dont count) booked this fare only 2weeks ago, Aircraft are ok, in flight entertainment aint bad and they aint shy with drinks. 2hr connection in Bahrain. Job Done Bargain

Regards

Cheap Charlie :D

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone tried Elite Class(premium economy) with Eva Air?

I'm considering flying with them

Cheers

Timmy

Yes. Their aircraft are new, and prices are good. Use them all the time. Food's a bit of a letdown, but thats my only complaint.

Yeah, I recently flew with them..

Just like you say, new planes, good service, no delays, and good prices

Plus they have the option of the upperdeck..

But yeah, agreed on the food..

Also, flew Bangkok Airways..quite impressed..

Cathy Pacific.. phenomenal! The biz class lounge in HK is great.. dim sum carts.. great food! SG and JAL are also great. The Asian airlines know service. The US based airlines know nothing about service. The seniority system of the unions engenders poor attitudes and crap work ethics.

Worst airline I've ever flown was Air India Biz class. The chairs still had ashtrays on the arm rest (how old is this plane??? ) and the yogurt was warm bcuz the refrigeration system was not working! So basically everything was warm..