Backpacker in Japan

Chatty

Finally, I think I have a chance to go outside Thailand very first time of my life.

I always think about Japan, it's my dream country. I tried to set up my trip but it was screwed up everytime cuz of thesis and work.

I hope 7 days is enough to travel there. I hope I can get visa to Japan. Many ppl said it's hard for single woman go there. Document from my cousin and my workplace might help me out, right?

The problems are;

1 My cousins and my aunt live in Yamanashi Ken I have no idea where it is, how to get there. Cuz they have their restaurants to take care, not sure they will have time for me. My niece is a teenager now, we haven't contact for ages.

2. I plan to stay in Ryokan (Japanese style hotel) don't know how to find one. Just wanna stay for a night.

3. Reasonable price hotel in Tokyo, i need to stay just for a night. I wanna see Harajuku, Kinza....

4. Can I take some dry fishes and mangoes teen along with me? My niece really like them.

If anyone have those info, please help me out na.. thks

Ohayogozaimasu Nuengsan

Good choice of destination.

Many Thai people who i have known having been to Japan, loved it. They say "Travel to japan, again and again and again!". I had an awesome experience. Take me with you, i can be your tokyo (and Osaka) map. 8) hehe

Wait for our handsome moderator khun Mike (inamorato25) to response to this. After all He's already a permanent resident!

Yokoso!

http://www.yokosojapan.org/

Ohayogozaimasu Nuengsan

Good choice of destination.

Many Thai people who i have known having been to Japan, loved it. They say "Travel to japan, again and again and again!". I had an awesome experience. Take me with you, i can be your tokyo (and Osaka) map. 8) hehe

Wait for our handsome moderator khun Mike (inamorato25) to response to this. After all He's already a permanent resident!

Yokoso!

http://www.yokosojapan.org/

My base might be in Yamanashi Ken kha...I will stay with my cousin (only 2 nights that I will stay in some Ryokan and Tokyo). So can I go by train for a day trip there?

My base might be in Yamanashi Ken kha...I will stay with my cousin (only 2 nights that I will stay in some Ryokan and Tokyo). So can I go by train for a day trip there?

Hey. that's great news that you'll be coming to visit Japan. And you'll love Yamanashi. It's very close to Tokyo so you'll have no problem getting there. Although if you're going to come, make it sooner than later. It's pretty cold and shitty in the winter in the Kanto area (Tokyo, Yamanashi, etc) -- but if you can get here by mid November, you'll be able to be up in the mountains during "kouyou" -- when the fall leaves are changing color.

As for visas, it will definitely help you to use your relatives. As for the mangoes and fish -- if it's the dried stuff you can buy in stores, that's OK. But if you get caught bringing in anything fresh -- you'll get a huge fine at the very least. f you're not sure, ask at the Japanese embassy.

Regarding hotels, almost all tourism in Japan is by Japanese people, so there are almost no English resources online for booking, and because Japan is like Bedrock City when it comes to modern convenience, most places don't let you use credit cards to book either. Once you're in Yamanashi, just go to an HIS or a JTB office with your relatives and they'll book you good, cheap hotels no problem.

Finally, if you want to stay in a ryokan, and you're in Yamanashi anyway, consider Nikko. It's a small city up in the mountains in Yamanashi that is not much to look at as far as a city -- but it's built around the old Tokugawa shrine complex. So you can enjoy a ryokan, enjoy the mountains, and get your fill of temples all in one trip. You can even see the 3 monkeys (hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil). Just make sure when you book that the ryokan has an "onsen" (hotspring) and a rotenburo (outdoor hotspring). So you can sit buck naked outside in the hotspring and just enjoy the very nice surrounding there.

Anyway, I haven't been sightseeing around here for years now, so I don't have any decent intel on hotels, but if there's anything I can help you with, just PM me.

Cheers,

Mike

http://www.photopassjapan.com/nikko.html

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Japan/Tochigi_ken/Nikko-972359/TravelGuide-Nikko.html

Nuengsan!

Imust had the wrong location, I googled your cousins town North of Mt. Fuji

Southwest of the Kanto Plain for some reason...

If Mike has you near Nikko that is as he said a prime spot because of

Building and history associated with the Shoganate!!

if you happen to find yourself, in fact near Fuji ...then I strongly recommend Hakone' and Odawara; with the train system both should be easy to see with an overnight at one end or the other (maybe your Japnese Inn)

Bring some warm clothes the Mts. will be cool and colorful

• 4 months later...