Farang or Thai Markets?

Admin_2

Many farangs in Thailand tend to focus on the farang markets when starting a business here. When I started out in Thailand, that is what I did as well because that was the market that I knew and understood.

Today I'm shifting focus towards the Thai markets because I believe it makes more sense. It's a bigger potential pool of customers, and...this is Thailand!

Do you own a business in Thailand? What is your target market and why?

(and welcome to the new Business and Finance forum on TF)

A good friend of mine (thai) is starting up a business distributing Logo'd promotional products. Initially she was focusing on just Thai corporations and SME's but I have convinced her to create an English version of the site and go after the multi-nationals and ex-pat run businesses as well. In that particular industry it is more about contacts and networking. ...I convinced her to join all of the relevant chamber of commerce groups as another avenue of exposure to that customer base. And since, even in the multinationals, most of the personnel in the marcom groups are Thai it is still relatively easy to get her message acrossl. Obviously it depends on the nature of your business but in most cases I believe you should go after both markets. But the mistake is made when the expats try to apply the tactics that work in their home country to the thai markets.

• 1 year later...

I have my own business in IT, but I do English on the site, just because i love teaching kids...

I don't really understand your statement about not teaching English because you have a pension... The teaching generates around 35-45k a month for me, and i teach on evenings from 7-9..... and weekends in the daytime... about 20 hours per week...

The IT job is flexible as i mainly do supervising and system analysis..