Learning Thai language through Thai song

Sasie

• 10 months later...
I think the most important phrase you need to learn in order to learn Thai from songs is, "Mai cowjai" I think every sappy Thai love song contains that phrase.

Haha, well, "Mai khao-jai" may be one frequently used phrase,

but some even more used words/phrases which next to every pop/rock/indie song contains are "hua-jai" and "Kitteung",

If you are more into the Songs for life/Folksongs stage then be prepared for allot of: "Chiwit nee", "Tah-lee", "Tamachat" etc.

And if you go even further "Thai" and end up in the Morlum/Lukthong trap, then be prepared for all the "mâi"'s to change to "bor" in a very isanese fashion :P

And the most important word in all Thai songs, Regardless of genre, will forver be, "RUK RUK RUK RUK RUK RUK RUK RUK RUKKKKKKKK GAN" :D

Another great way to learn is by watching movies or lakorn series. The later can be a bit difficult to stand, specially since they're more than often over acting to the point of where you want to vomit...

Anyway, a good site to find some lakorn with English subtitles is: http://www.viki.com

Try it!

(if you're already on an intermediate level, then try to watch the first half part of the series with subtitles, and the second part without. I promise you that you'll understand more than you think, specially after knowing all their names and all their "patterns" and "roles" already).

Another great way to learn is by watching movies or lakorn series. The later can be a bit difficult to stand, specially since they're more than often over acting to the point of where you want to vomit...

Anyway, a good site to find some lakorn with English subtitles is: http://www.viki.com

Try it!

(if you're already on an intermediate level, then try to watch the first half part of the series with subtitles, and the second part without. I promise you that you'll understand more than you think, specially after knowing all their names and all their "patterns" and "roles" already).

I hadn't seen Viki before. Thanks for the link.

What I used to do is look on ethaicd.com for US movies that had been dubbed in Thai. For instance, I had watched Charlie's Angels enough times where I pretty much knew what was going on in each scene. Then I ordered the Thai dubbed version (when I was living in the US) and watched it. It helps you get the general gist of the conversations and isn't so Thai-centric.

And before anybody starts getting all bent out of shape, by Thai-centric I mean that the lakorns and Thai movies often contain a heavy dose of Thai culture which you may or may not understand. For instance, if you're watching a lakorn and they mention a certain ghost or make some sort of cultural reference that only Thai people would understand, it makes following along a lot more difficult.

The one downside is that they often dub the Thai version with references to Thailand or Thai culture. I think it was Dumb and Dumber and they were talking about driving to Chaing Mai when in the movie they were going to Colorado. I guess that was to give people a sense that it was in the mountains and cooler than Bangkok but it might be a little confusing :-)

To go back to the original idea of the topic:

I just noticed that the link is dead, here's a link that works for now with the same song:

Here are some of my favourite Thai songs from all the different genres:

Scrubb - Glai:

Scrubb - Glua:

Scrubb - Tok Yang:

Labanoon - Kam Dtong haam:

Kai-Jo Brothers - Slow Down:

Marihuana - Kratom Gancha:

Mote - keun tee dao dtem faa:

Mote - kae bawk wa rak ter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPUrfyRCqeQ

There are a million more, but can't put them all here