The 'Official' 2006 Ashes Thread...

MichaelGray

It's all about inflicting pain. I was ready for the excuses, the pitch deteriorated by the time the POMS went into bat, the Aussies doctored the pitch, etc. (of course the Aussies knew they would win the toss and bat first) lol.

So in the second innings we have the loss of one wicket for a score the entire English team couldnt achieve in the first innings, in fact in the first innings we have the entire English team unable to score what a SINGLE Aussie got.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, seems to me Euan, you better bring your money with you.

As for the follow on, I don't understand but there are some creditable reasons in this thread. I would like to think we are kicking you while you are at the lowest of lowest depths.

Personally I understand this is the first Test and there are four to go, but geez guys you are f'in disgraceful, pathetic and just 10 classes below the Aussies on this performance. The second Test might be different, I actually hope so, if it isn't then GO HOME!!!

You can't even bowl a decent length, your main attack bowler is to put it mildly a joke with his wayward bowling, fielding is a disgrace, I couldn't believe that wanker twice throwing at the stumps when the batsman were already home giving us 8 extras, etc. etc. etc.

Woeful and disgraceful, so much for a great Ashes series, I do hope you guys can at least be equal to Zimbabwe in the second Test.

And please no "what happened in the last Ashes", I would rather hear about that 1 minute on the field 6 months in hospital Watkins than hear those cries.

400bt for pay for view, should be 200bt as there is only one team there.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 - The Ashes holders were skittled for 157 in reply to Australia's mammoth 9-602, and will need an extraordinary turnaround in fortunes if they are to make the summer any sort of contest.

By stumps Australia had ripped along to 1-181 to extend the lead to 626.

2 - Such is the scale of England's impending defeat that large sections of the sell-out crowd tired of the slaughter and left the ground early.

3 - The gulf between the sides on the first innings was the fourth-greatest deficit in Test history and the highest in an Ashes match.

It's all about inflicting pain. I was ready for the excuses, the pitch deteriorated by the time the POMS went into bat, the Aussies doctored the pitch, etc. (of course the Aussies knew they would win the toss and bat first) lol.

So in the second innings we have the loss of one wicket for a score the entire English team couldnt achieve in the first innings, in fact in the first innings we have the entire English team unable to score what a SINGLE Aussie got.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, seems to me Euan, you better bring your money with you.

As for the follow on, I don't understand but there are some creditable reasons in this thread. I would like to think we are kicking you while you are at the lowest of lowest depths.

Personally I understand this is the first Test and there are four to go, but geez guys you are f'in disgraceful, pathetic and just 10 classes below the Aussies on this performance. The second Test might be different, I actually hope so, if it isn't then GO HOME!!!

You can't even bowl a decent length, your main attack bowler is to put it mildly a joke with his wayward bowling, fielding is a disgrace, I couldn't believe that wanker twice throwing at the stumps when the batsman were already home giving us 8 extras, etc. etc. etc.

Woeful and disgraceful, so much for a great Ashes series, I do hope you guys can at least be equal to Zimbabwe in the second Test.

And please no "what happened in the last Ashes", I would rather hear about that 1 minute on the field 6 months in hospital Watkins than hear those cries.

400bt for pay for view, should be 200bt as there is only one team there.

Tell um what you really think next time mike!!! go aussie's oy oy oy

Regarding the pitch it's cracked up quite a lot in the heat and oh yeah the english are sh*t

i think i'd go for the english are **** option ... australia are 181/1 on an even more cracked pitch !!!

i think ppl are forgetting they're missing vaughan, trescothick and jones ... 3 of their best players !!!

but who cares ... come on Aussies ... kick them while they're down !!!

I guess Ponting's unexplained decision to keep batting is explained a little by declaring immediately after Justin Langer got his 100.

Not the original reason I'm sure as I guessed he would have declared at 600 runs ahead but decided to give Langer a chance at a century against the English because he was batting so well.

Here is an excellent article regarding declaring generally and perhaps why Ponting didn't :

RUNS and wickets are like currencies ? immutable in themselves, but made priceless or worthless by the state of the market. At Edgbaston last year, Australia would have given blood ? water, even ? for another run, howsoever scrambled. At Old Trafford, England prized one more wicket, howsoever filched, more than a crown jewel. It was that sort of series. The next could not come too soon.

Perhaps it was inevitable that such expectations would be disappointed. By yesterday afternoon at the Gabba, once Australia decided not to enforce the follow-on despite leading by 445 runs, wickets became as valuable as drachmas. It did not matter how many Australia runs made; it already had enough. It did not matter how many wickets England took; its cause was already lost. Runs and wickets became incidentals; only time and temperature mattered.

So Australia's second innings became an elaborate exercise in passing time. Glenn McGrath, six-wicket hero of the first innings (and so many before it), admitted it. He was ready to bowl again, he said, but it suited Australia best to wait for the pitch to dry and crack some more ? and England's psyche with it.

The follow-on is not compulsory. It is an option a team earns by playing so well in the first innings. Post-Calcutta, 2001, Australian captains will use it discreetly. The Queensland sun is enervating. Australia had been out in it for barely 60 overs, but England's second innings might have become more protracted, and the second Test begins in five days. Ponting had to plan not just a match, but a series. Victory, when gained some time today, will be its own justification.

But it did mean that this most lustily awaited Test match became, for a time, a farce. Crowds, though mindless, are not fools. This one became restive, coarse, distracted.

Its ranks thinned apace. Some decamped voluntarily to bars, where there was more shade and colder beer. Some were ejected, waved on their way by Kevin Pietersen, doubtlessly returning the morning's compliment. The Barmy Army, offended by arrangements, said it would go home. Oddly, this was reported as a threat.

Everyone's attention wandered. Matthew Hayden ran himself out, a rare careless mistake. The scoreboard put overs and runs up against the wrong England bowlers. The ground announcer was as ignorant as his type everywhere. He brought news of 9000 runs for Ricky Ponting, and the Gabba record, in mid-over, holding up play. Test cricket is rarely so bloodless, except when Zimbabwe is playing.

Mike,

cabt be arsed to read all your words

too early in morning, i think, and too many beers, i know

Whatever dude

We all love victoyry but its so sad that there will be no excitement in this one

I have no idea what im talking about, if anyone do's. answers on a post card to macca.........................

Wallace & macca kartaoke january 2nd do it now.

Thanks for the contributions guys. :)

December

1-5 2nd Test, Adelaide

Umpires: S Bucknor (WI), R Koertzen (SA)

14-18 3rd Test, Perth

Umpires: A Dar (Pkn), R Koertzen (SA)

26-30 4th Test, Melbourne

January

2-6 5th Test, Sydney

Umpires: B Bowden (NZ), A Dar (Pkn)

I just heard the offical news that the womens indoor cricket team is playing in the 2nd test against Australia.

Due to the fact that the poms suck ass they have decided the womens indoor cricket team could do better :P

Time to prepare for the 2nd Test

Now, I?m having a problem with the BBC Radio Player

During the 1st Test, I got that repeating statement that they won?t let me listen because I?m not in the UK (or words to that effect)

Do I have to lie and change my computer settings so I?m located in the leafy suburbs of Peckham?

I?ll try again tomorrow morning

By the way, rumours of Michael Vaughan?s elevation to the 1st eleven after his Bradmanesque long stay at the crease have been dismissed by the selectors.

Whilst his 7 ball duck surpassed the efforts of Flintoff, Hoggard and Harmison in the 1st Test, they said it was too early to say if he could maintain such a rich vein of form for a full 5 days

"It is slightly disappointing I didn't get any runs but today was all about getting back to playing cricket."

MPV

Thanks for the contributions guys. :)
December

1-5 2nd Test, Adelaide

Umpires: S Bucknor (WI), R Koertzen (SA)

14-18 3rd Test, Perth

26-30 4th Test, Melbourne

January

2-6 5th Test, Sydney

Umpires: B Bowden (NZ), A Dar (Pkn)

I just heard the offical news that the womens indoor cricket team is playing in the 2nd test against Australia.

Due to the fact that the poms suck ass they have decided the womens indoor cricket team could do better :P

ha ha ha welcome to the "Hill".

Time to prepare for the 2nd Test

Now, I?m having a problem with the BBC Radio Player

During the 1st Test, I got that repeating statement that they won?t let me listen because I?m not in the UK (or words to that effect)

Do I have to lie and change my computer settings so I?m located in the leafy suburbs of Peckham?

I?ll try again tomorrow morning

By the way, rumours of Michael Vaughan?s elevation to the 1st eleven after his Bradmanesque long stay at the crease have been dismissed by the selectors.

Whilst his 7 ball duck surpassed the efforts of Flintoff, Hoggard and Harmison in the 1st Test, they said it was too early to say if he could maintain such a rich vein of form for a full 5 days

"It is slightly disappointing I didn't get any runs but today was all about getting back to playing cricket."

MPV

Try this :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sportsextra/

Thanks Mike, but all I get on the BBC Radio Player is a repeating message that they don?t have the rights (outside UK) to broadcast

Still following the scoring on

http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/ausveng/engine/current/match/249223.html

and http://www1.talksport.net/index.asp

have updates every 10 minutes and on fall of wickets

47 for 2

eeerie silence from the aussies amongst you these last two days....hope it's nothing serious....get well soon.

btw

Batting

Batsman How Out Runs

Andrew Strauss c Martyn b Clark 14

Alastair Cook c Gilchrist b Clark 27

Ian Bell c and b Lee 60

Paul Collingwood not out 203

Kevin Pietersen not out 138

Extras 9

Total (143 overs) 457/3

Australia

Bowling Overs Mdns Runs Wkts

Brett Lee 30 1 125 1

Glenn McGrath 28 5 86 0

Stuart Clark 27 5 59 2

Shane Warne 42 8 129 0

Michael Clarke 16 2 50 0

FOW: 32/1 (Strauss), 45/2 (Cook), 158/3 (Bell)

The English are batting well this time on a flat track I think the match could be heading for a draw depends on how we bat?Collingwood batted well (good player don't like the name because of it's link to an AFL Club).

I would think South Africa would be hating the fact that they let this bloke go to England 6/ 539.Go Aussies

Great day of cricket, England received the box of new spines and have obviously fitted them.

Nice to see we have a series, well at least a 2nd Test anyway.

The least they could do batting first on the Adelaide pitch, but non the less they did whay they should have.

Paul Collingwood is a magnificent player no one else in the English line up impresses me anywhere near as much.

The English are batting well this time on a flat track I think the match could be heading for a draw depends on how we bat?Collingwood batted well (good player don't like the name because of it's link to an AFL Club).

I would think South Africa would be hating the fact that they let this bloke go to England 6/ 539.Go Aussies

Coillingwood isnt South African, Pieterson and Strauss are.

I would think South Africa would be hating the fact that they let this bloke (pieterson) go to England 6/ 539.Go Aussies

Coillingwood isnt South African, Pieterson and Strauss are.

I know Collingwood isn't South African I was commenting on his name.

An Aussie Rules Football Club is called Collingwood the most disliked club in the competition I just made reference to his name!!!

3 for 65, going well England. I bet it's a draw, no way England will have the Aussies on the ropes even with a score like this.

Actually I am looking forward to what could be the best day of the Ashes, whether it's the Aussies or the English watching a full day of batting with no wickets is so boring, let the wickets tumble for both sides I say.

:)