$100 laptop could sell to public...

MichaelGray

The backers of the One Laptop Per Child project are looking at the possibility of selling the machine to the public.

Five million of the laptops will be delivered to developing nations this summer, in one of the most ambitious educational exercises ever undertaken.

"But our focus right now is on the launch in the developing world."

The laptop has been developed to be as low cost, durable and as simple to use as possible.

The eventual aim is to sell the machine to developing countries for $100 but the current cost of the machine is about $150.

The first countries to sign up to buying the machine, which is officially dubbed XO, include Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan and Thailand.

I never knew Thailand was such a poor country. *pity* Where does all the money go then?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6246989.stm

^ Do you blame 'rampant corruption' for the relatively poor standard of education offerred in Thailand? Do you blame 'rampant corruption' for the relatively poor Thai work ethic? Those are but two things holding the country back, imo.

Yes, I do blame corruption for siphoning funds away from the education sector. If all the funds that were intended for public schools and teacher training actually reached those areas, educaton would be in a much better shape than it is today.

When you talk about a relatively poor work ethic, which Thai's are you talking about? In office situations this poor work ethic mantra is spouted by farang who do not know how to manage Thai's due to a poor understanding of the culture in the country in which they are a guest. That is not to say that there are not genuinely lazy people, but there is more than one side to your argument/

^ Is it not a generally recognised fact that the people of Taiwan & Korea are more industrious trhan their Thai conterparts?

Perhaps some of them are, but is this a result of their culture, or that fact that it is easier to earn rewards and get ahead financially because of a lack of corruption and better governance.

To say that the poor Klong Toey market vendor earning a comparative pittance a month for getting up at 4am each morning, 365 days a year, to sell his/her wares is not hard working is a little on the nose.

Mind you, when you live in a tropical country with a gorgeous climate and beautiful white sand beaches, who can blame those living here (including myself) if they skive off for a bit of rest and relaxation :D (The same can not be said for Korea and Taiwan)

Thailand was expected in my understanding and thought to have what it takes to be the "next" Korea, Taiwan, Japan, (ie. follow their example in rising from rural country to general wealth and ways) but now it has taken much more time than it took from these countries to come "out of it"...just imho

But back to the 100 dollar laptop, in my understanding this program was dropped by the military backed government the minute they came to power as one of the evil plans that were useless. The reason was to "provide more books to the children instead"...My sarcastic comment: while this is very very good reason, I doubt the money that was "ear marked" for the laptops will ever make it to the kids in form of books either, so the kids will be empty handed in any case....but oh the happiness, they sure are getting new guns and mil men next year with the oh so nicely risen military budget! :) Maybe there is money even "one gun per child" program. In the south they are already testing it with teachers who are now allowed/recommended to wear arms...(Man, I better drink my morning java now and stop this sarcastical nonsense! :)) (Damnit the south situation is flammable now, the junta continuing the rule of emergency, the same condition that was heavily critized earlier by opposers of previous gov and the human rights ppl alike. Oh well, I guess the situation gets better when the teachers start protetcting themselves with guns, that should really solve the problem, I'm SURE about it!)

(damn, my calming coffee effect clearly didn't start yet and stop the damn tone:))

^ Do you blame 'rampant corruption' for the relatively poor standard of education offerred in Thailand? Do you blame 'rampant corruption' for the relatively poor Thai work ethic? Those are but two things holding the country back, imo.

Yes, I DO blame corruption for these problems. If Government Ministers were not such greedy Bastards, and were not taking BILLIONS of Baht out of the system, then there would be more money for your education.

If the poor workers, were able to earn a decent salary, instead of bosses taking pay offs FROM the workers just to give them a job, (I KNOW companies where this happens), then perhaps there would be more moral. more moral = better work.

Sorry for the rocket science, michael.

If the poor workers, were able to earn a decent salary, instead of bosses taking pay offs FROM the workers just to give them a job, (I KNOW companies where this happens),

No way! What's the idea behind this? :shock: :shock:

And this is not some Thai spesific laptop what we are talking about, but part of the big effort with MIT and what else backing to produce a laptop that can for example be powered by physical work. It's true production price is in my understanding at start higher than the sold price of 100$. So I am not sure what Loburts reference of "you get what you pay for" is about. Oh also the official home page of this project still listed Thailand quite recently as one of the countries that are due to buy them. But I am pretty sure this was one of the things that got shot down in the early days of new government.

(My memory served me correct, checked the Wikipedia pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Laptop_per_Child

http://laptop.media.mit.edu/ )

the 100 dollar laptops are slow by mondern standards and they are also running a linux based os so that they will be used for pretty much school work and for online chatting. They have a bunch of them out in Brazil and other south american countries right now. As for useing them for hacking refer back to the Linux os it is a deadlocked os meaning that to use it for windows and mac requires alot of drivers and emulators to make it work and being that the cpu is really slow that kinda makes it hard to do that kind of stuff on it. But over all they are nice little computers and well worth the look at for children

I wish i have one, though i am not a child anymore.

i think the ram is 128, enough for a school work, reading news, and e-book, finding info on internet. But if u wanna play game and using graphic things, it doesn't work. NO, those totalitarian illed -mind dont like poor children to be friend with and learn about computers which will become a mandate in a near future.

They also cancel the loan programme that lend money to every person regardless of their income so that a person can study at a university level, and pay back money when they have jobs in the future. They also cancel the lottery scholarship that grants scholarship to a rural student per each Tambon to study abroad.

Coup dont like to sponsor education, although, ironically ,many of educated people is coup's advocate.

Neither did the previous government.

In the words of Dr. Sipanond Ketudat, the author of the Education Reform bill and who passed away earlier this year:

"When Thaksin introduced his Cabinet, he held up the Education Reform bill and said he would implement it 100%. He hasn't implemented even one part of it. Not one."

I guess he didn't like education either. And from the long lines of parents I see outside the pawn shops at the start of every school semester, apparently not many of those scholarships were hitting their mark.

They also cancel the loan programme that lend money to every person regardless of their income so that a person can study at a university level, and pay back money when they have jobs in the future. They also cancel the lottery scholarship that grants scholarship to a rural student per each Tambon to study abroad.

You kidding here, right? :shock: But well, no surprise there, as Loburt prooves it again: enhancing education is not very popular among politicians in Thailand. You know what they say about "ignorant ppl", oh those "stupid rice farmes who dont even know how to vote right", how to keep people happy and quiet...not excelling in educational matters is one of those ways...

But hey, atleast there is no more cencorship as Surayad said a few months ago...hihi

""I want to ask every television channel and every radio station not to broadcast messages or statements of the former prime minister and leaders of the past ruling party," General Winai Phattiyakul told a gathering of 100 media representatives." :-D Joy to the world, and peace on earth.

Well, as all television and radio stations are licensed or owned by the government or military, they will comply.

Just as during the Thaksin era, anyone who criticized Thaksin had their television or radio show cancelled, taken off the air.

So the level of censorship in broadcast media is about the same as always.

Actually, that's not completely true. For several years here we did have an independent television news station that reported critically on the government and corruption: iTV. However, Thaksin bought it in 2000 and fired 21 journalists for reporting critically about him. The journalists sued and won. But the one independent television station the country had remained a propaganda vehicle for Thaksin and Thai Rak Thai.

Newspapers, however, are critiziing the CNS and the government every day. Unlike during the Thaksin era, however, the government or the prime minister has not sued anyone for 500 million baht for saying something critical, even though it's true, about the government or the prime mininster.

Oh, and I've never seen the current PM walk up to a foreign journalist, get right in his face and threaten him. I was there and saw Thaksin do that.

Well, as all television and radio stations are licensed or owned by the government or military, they will comply.

And I would also include over 300 local radio stations that were shut down right after the coup. In my understanding all stations are supposed to be government owned and hence "under gag order" but there were lots of pirate radios operating.

independent television news station that reported critically on the government and corruption: iTV. However, Thaksin bought it in 2000 and fired 21 journalists for reporting critically about him. But the one independent television station the country had remained a propaganda vehicle for Thaksin and Thai Rak Thai.

But iTV is still working right, but lost it's teeth? Whats the situation with the channel now?

Newspapers, however, are critiziing the CNS and the government every day.

Are they critizing about "real stuff" or just critizing about not coming up with charges against Thaksin? (Thats what I have seen mostly on those two english papers, i wish i could read thai to get access to better and higher quality stuff.) What are the other, analytical, fields of critic the Thai government currently faces from the press? Whats your take on this? I did not catch anything for example on the military budget. How's the situation in south handled? Any pushing in that field?

In the best of my knowledge Thai radio and tv programs have not IN GENERAL met the journalistic level of showing high quality critical reporting or analysing. Except for the iTV and the on-off success stories? The Nation and neither BKK Post don't really follow even the five W rule...:) (I dont mean here now the critical views of the current government coming from Thai mags that Loburt mentions, that's the least what the public's watchdogs should do :), I mean in general...without this exceptional situation)

BUT Loburt, you know about this topic. How about Thai language magazines? (We can drop the radios and tv's out for start) Any of them that might be balancing on the fine line of "neutral" or critical thinkin' and analysis? The next NYT or WP (ok, those have had their low times too:)) What are your favorite breakfast table readings if any?

( It is a rare magazine in general in the world which could be said to "really" be "impartial".)

Or put it in another way which magazine or journal might/could produce the next "Pulitzer price" so to say if such was coming to Thailand?

(mmm, have now moved off topic completly, maybe this would be appropriate as a seperate topic: "Thai journalism and newspapers, skipping the lousy tv programming totally" :))

Radio stations were solely licensed by the government unitl the 1997 constitution allowed community radio stations. Thaksin's henchmen shut down any community radio station that criticized the government. Scores of them. So much for the previous administration's respect for the last constitution and press freedom.

iTV has yet to restore critical reporting. It is, after all, owned by the Singaporeans now, so what do you expect? It started out as a 24 hour news station. Under Thaksin, it switched to mostly showing game shows, soap operas and infomercials hawking overpriced, useless exercise equipment to fat Thai housewives.

Oh, there was one other independent television news station: Nation Channel. Thaksin, however, pressured CP Group, which owns UBC, to kick it off the air, and CP Group complied. Nation Channel still broadcasts, but you need a satellite dish to get it, so few people see it.

There are Thai language publications that are also critical of the CNS and government. Matichon is the best of them. Others are also calling it like they see it.

The CNS and the government are being criticized on a wide range of issues, from their handling of the South to their handling of the economy, not just the slow pace of bringing charges against Thaksin.

well... a fruit of education is not something that can be enjoyed in a few years. It takes time, at least a decade. Thaksin's education programme is going in a right direction, at least.

Rural children should have a chance to play and make friend with computer as much as possible. I won't say that it will make them cleverer in a fortnight.

Of course, now just books seem to be enough for educating labors, but it won't be enough in a near future.

A little bit off the topic.

with regards to information censorship issue...

1. i think computer is also helpful to get informed, eventhough there is also censorship on the internet. ( Here we can think of an example of TF ban a forum when it expressed the opinion that a XXX Network is behind a coup. This is called a self-censorship.)

2. As an individual, Thaksin is entitled to sue the media because Sondhi charged a serious accusation against Thaksin (disparaging the King) without reasonable evidences.

And look at a coup team, they just warns thai media not to make more news about Thaksin claiming that it show a not-so-good management, if the media dont know what is a good management, coup team will help out to manage the media.

i do not think it is good that Thaksin to come back as a leader, although he has a right to participate in an election because it would have become difficult for a govt to perform any action. I just want elections now. Only a representative govt, not coup govt or other kinds, that at least reflects interests of the people. Coupt team just withdraw 1500 Million Baht to support the Gestapo teams, not including raising their military budget up to

150,000 Millions Baht. And they say they dont have enough money for education.

well... a fruit of education is not something that can be enjoyed in a few years. It takes time, at least a decade. Thaksin's education programme is going in a right direction, at least.

Prof. Sipanond said Thaksin did nothing. Not one thing. Thaksin's only direction was backwards, and that's according to Thai educators. But go ahead, keep making things up.

As an individual, Thaksin is entitled to sue the media because Sondhi charged a serious accusation against Thaksin (disparaging the King) without reasonable evidences.

It wasn't just Sondhi he sued. Thaksin ordered the AOT to sue the Bangkok Post for 500 million baht for reporting there were cracks in the runway at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Guess what? There are cracks in the runway.

Thaksin had Shin Corp sue NGO worker Supinya Klangnarong and Thai Post (?) for 500 million baht for saying his companies benefitted financially during his term in office. He lost the case, because a) what they said was true, and B) as a public figure the court said he and his companies are open to criticism.

And there were others, not just Sondhi.

Thaksin also had the police arrest two journalists from Far Eastern Economic Review a few years ago for a two paragraph story they wrote. Thaksin claimed the story was lese majeste. The charges were dropped after the person would have been harmed had it really been lese majeste summoned him and told him to drop it. The person reportedly told Thaksin "this story doesn't say anything bad about me. It says something about bad about you." Thaksin dropped the case the same day. So it shows he has been willing to use the charge of lese majeste in the past on completely fasle pretences.

I just want elections now. Only a representative govt, not coup govt or other kinds, that at least reflects interests of the people.

I agree, but you can't have elections before you have a constitution. And a government that reflects the interest of the people would be a first for Thailand.

Coupt team just withdraw 1500 Million Baht to support the Gestapo teams...

Please show me who these "Gestapo teams" have arrested, tortured or executed, as Gestapo teams normally do. Go ahead, keep making things up.

raising their military budget up to

150,000 Millions Baht. And they say they dont have enough money for education.

Raising the military budget is a bad thing. But even with cuts they are posting a large budget deficit in 2007 mainly because they are paying losses and debts incurred by Thaksin's populist programs. Thaksin hid these losses by keeping them on the books of the institutions such as the Government Savings Bank or the Bank for Agriculture and Cooperatives. It's still tax money that funds those banks, and they are in the red. But by separating them from the main government budget, he could say 'see, no losses, the budget is balanced.'

That's a cheap trick worthy of the scam artist he was. Always knew that whoever came after him would end up with the bill.

With regulations against foreign investment going in place with the current administrators of the Thai economy....

there will be more cheap lapdogs in the offering than they can turn down....

don't touch them.....

unless you want some more pre-progamming....

any constitutional writers on TF?...no pretenders now...or woosy phoebias

I like the 100 dollar laptop program I am hoping that Thailand decides to accually go through with it. Given yes the Computers are out dated in a sence but are easly fixed for that reason.That just makes the system a good start for the education system it will start fixing the holes in the system and make it more easy for the children to learn.

And yes Gray you did not manage to put your foot in your mouth this time I applaud you for that