Bangkok Art and Cultural Center - BACC

SweetieBabie

Apparently Bangkok has more to offer than just bars and shopping malls...

Stylish architectural building with spiral shape interior, similar to the Guggenheim museum in New York.

2717508232_2f5992fd08.jpg?v=0

art_center_12.jpg

For more information in Thai

http://www.bacc.or.th/

Located on opposite to MBK Shopping Mall and Siam Discovery Center.

Free of charge both Thai and Foreigner

Traces of Siamese Smile

Art + Faith + Politics + Smile

September 24th - November 26th, 2008

Features famous Thai and International Artists such as

Chalermchai Kositpipat

Thawan Duchanee

Louis Bourgeois

Pierre et Gills

Keith Haring

Yoshitomo Nara

and many more...

www.siamesesmile2008.com

Ok Siamese Smile display contemporary arts, this includes sculptures, photography, motion pictures and Installation arts.

my artist favorite was Pierre et Gills

Beautiful Photographed picture of Nong Tum (Beautiful Boxer)

Stylish architectural building with spiral shape interior, similar to the Guggenheim museum in New York.

r

yeah, I have been waiting for the opening. why wouldnt they have a grand opening? I heard it was empty except for the Siam Smiles exhibit.

and yeah, it looks a little like the interior of the Guggenheim except that the GGHEIM does not have excalators running up the interior. people walk up the walkway as it winds up, and enjoy the pieces exhibited on the walls. It is a fabulous building.

r

yeah, I have been waiting for the opening. why wouldnt they have a grand opening? I heard it was empty except for the Siam Smiles exhibit.

and yeah, it looks a little like the interior of the Guggenheim except that the GGHEIM does not have excalators running up the interior. people walk up the walkway as it winds up, and enjoy the pieces exhibited on the walls. It is a fabulous building.

P'Jack said fabulous :lol:

You know escalator = lazy = Thai :lol: The escalator stops at 6th floor then

the exhibition is on 7th , 8th, 9th floors as spiral walkway , the bottom floors are supposed to be shops and restaurants yet to be open. but right now is pretty much empty as its still very new.

Why do Thai's love to open things half finished?

Its not a moan or a groan just a question.

Siam Paragon, was half finished, half the shops were empty and a few rails missing, some kid fell to his death if I remember correctly.

Central World was also half finished.

The Airport, what a **** up that was, bits missing everywhere.

I could go on.

Siam Paragon, was half finished, half the shops were empty and a few rails missing, some kid fell to his death if I remember correctly.

The Airport, what a f*ck up that was, bits missing everywhere.

I could go on.

they are peasants and dont know any better

I understand why they open BUSINESSES early - to get an income stream as soon as possible (although the first customers go away and give the place a bad review!!)

It was a girl who fell at Paragon... You know where the plant/water display is? On the floor above Starbucks and Subway?

She fell between the elevator shaft and the water display. It's about thirty feet onto solid concrete. She broke her back, but didn't die.

There are glass screens there now.

The Airport, what a f*ck up that was, bits missing everywhere.

I could go on.

Becuz this is how we do .. its Thailand

you shouldnt even questions... but just let it be .. everywhere is different

:)

:D It is really great to see Bangkok have a world class contemporary art museum. I was impressed with both the exhibition and the building, I saw some things wrong but any artist is going to be a little critical, of course. I think it is a great step in the right direction for Thai art (now if the next few shows are as good). I hope they continue to find funding and do some other things to start a world class collection. I also think it is a little silly to have all that empty space in the bottom half for food and shops, when that doesn't work I hope the museum is growing and a success and is able to comandare some of that space for themselves. The art mart thing outside is a good idea too. As for half finishedness the building looks finished just the retail space is empty.

I think that one reason you see unfinished things opened early here is the lack of legal couplablity if someone is hurt or killed.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to disagree with you SB TS but I have been vaguely following the development of the BACC for a few years (esp. after so many previous delays), I went there for the first time during the short film fest about 2 months ago & I was really disappointed. The place looks like a another bloody shopping centre and there is so much wasted space, prime areas of space are given for shops and the frontage design does not seem to draw one inside or capture ones attention. In all it really is not so special.

A month ago, I read an interview with the Director of the BACC who said that they felt they needed to have many shops and food outlets in the centre to attract thais. Given the limited number of cultural instiutions in Bangkok the BMA could have commissioned a much better design and perhaps not felt the need to have so much commercial space.

But I guess we should all be thankful something has finally been built given it took some 20-30 yrs of lobbying by the artistic community. I'll catch the current exhibition and see if it has grown on me.