Robert McNamara - Opinions of....

forgot to mention

Chomski's idiocy was never the main thrust of my "argument." It was merely a side bar. A casual mention.

I posted about the Vietnam war.

The Chomsky mention was rather incidental.

But an important point nonetheless....

as important as mentioning that Stephen Hawking is an imbecile perhaps.

While some of Chomsky's rants do go a little over the top, idiot is an unfair and inaccurate description of someone who, no matter how strongly you disagree with his politics, is still one of the greatest thinkers the US has produced in the last century.

Oh wait; one of greatest thinkers = idiot; what does that say about the rest of you? :wink:

ok...

so looking back

I think some of his views are idiotic

the man is certainly intelligent

but his views are somewhat extreme and impractical

he thinks that World War II could/should have been avoided through diplomacy although he agrees that it was a "somewhat" justifiable war

He is critical of Lenin, though. So he can't be all that bad.

I read articles that he wrote about the Israell-Arab Conflict and on the Palestinian question. A few years back. I came away thinking that he was insane.

ok...

so looking back

I think some of his views are idiotic

the man is certainly intelligent

but his views are somewhat extreme and impractical

he thinks that World War II could/should have been avoided through diplomacy although he agrees that it was a "somewhat" justifiable war

He is critical of Lenin, though. So he can't be all that bad.

I read articles that he wrote about the Israell-Arab Conflict and on the Palestinian question. A few years back. I came away thinking that he was insane.

That's alot more acceptable, although, to be fair, anyone left of Thatcher who has views on Israel-Palestine seems insane to you! :wink:

I used to be a huge Chomsky fan, back in my days as a committed Trotskyite, but accept that while many of his views are certainly grounded in theoretical sense, they do not always relate to the reality of the world as it moves along on its merry way.

But, as I say, put aside his often skewed politcal prespective on the world, and just look at his contributions to linguistics and soem aspects of psychology, and you can see why I credited him as one of your country's greatest thinkers.

But yes, he can be a bit of a loop da loop sometimes too! :lol:

There is a book called The Greening of America which depicts the corporations as running the show. Man is not in charge at all in this book. Serving the bottom line is what rules and it has been like this for some time. Machine is running the world already was its premise and that book was written in the late 60s.

ever consider that the notion that things are being run may be an anthropomorphization, the product of mere vanity (the innate vanity of our species, a product of the way we're wired, not any particular individual)?

no man, animal, nor machine runs an anthill and it functions.

ps JD: it's a bit insincere to use the word "idiot" as the main thrust of your argument more than once and then claim it wasn't a rant, k? as for raving, i'd hope at your advanced age you'd given up techno and 90s designer drugs, it was never as much fun as everyone was telling themselves it was anyway...

Well in the Book I mentioned vanity is part of it but it has the CEO stuck paying his bills and paying for the swimming pool and getting the kids to college so he does the bidding of the powers that be and so the machine is in charge. Money money money is leading us into a brick wall.

I thought that was just cat urine :shock:

UK street slang for amphetamine sulphate

after a comic book character who went very fast called Billy Whizz

bwizz2.jpg

Cops have been known to kick down doors to find its just cat urine. They did it in the town near me and there was an old lady and a bunch of cats...oops

There is a book called The Greening of America which depicts the corporations as running the show. Man is not in charge at all in this book. Serving the bottom line is what rules and it has been like this for some time. Machine is running the world already was its premise and that book was written in the late 60s.

ever consider that the notion that things are being run may be an anthropomorphization, the product of mere vanity (the innate vanity of our species, a product of the way we're wired, not any particular individual)?

ps JD: it's a bit insincere to use the word "idiot" as the main thrust of your argument more than once and then claim it wasn't a rant, k? as for raving, i'd hope at your advanced age you'd given up techno and 90s designer drugs, it was never as much fun as everyone was telling themselves it was anyway...

Well in the Book I mentioned vanity is part of it but it has the CEO stuck paying his bills and paying for the swimming pool and getting the kids to college so he does the bidding of the powers that be and so the machine is in charge. Money money money is leading us into a brick wall.

ever consider that maybe the machine isn't in charge, maybe it's a byproduct of our instincts and urges? personally i tend to believe it's biology leading us into a brick wall.

ever consider that maybe the machine isn't in charge, maybe it's a byproduct of our instincts and urges? personally i tend to believe it's biology leading us into a brick wall.

I was referring to the books premise not mine. Lemmings come to mind, Fireside theater style....