Mayweather Vs Marquez

CiaranM

now was expecting this fight to be a cracker .... but ... just read this morning Mayweather has weighed in 4 lbs heavier than Marquez !!!

now considering Marquez is stepping up 2 weight divisions (i believe) to make this fight i think Mayweather's gonna be far too big and strong for him !!!

thoughts guys !!!!!

Mayweather holds weight advantage

Floyd Mayweather Jr weighed in four pounds heavier than Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez ahead of Saturday's non-title welterweight fight.

Mayweather, 32, tipped the scales at 146lbs in Las Vegas, just a pound lighter than his last fight in December 2007 when he beat Briton Ricky Hatton.

Marquez, 36, was given a rapturous reception at the weigh-in, with his supporters chanting "Mexico".

Mayweather - a former five-weight champion - is favourite to win.

Marquez is a five-time, three-weight world champion and boasts a record of 50 victories, four defeats, one draw with 37 knockouts.

He made his professional debut in 1993 and has fought most of his career as a featherweight.

His most recent fight was against American Juan Diaz in February when he claimed the vacant WBA and WBO lightweight crowns as well as the lightly-regarded IBO title.

That was only Marquez's second bout at lightweight, but he insists the step up to welterweight will not be a problem.

"A lot of people think (I can't win) because of the weight," said Marquez.

"But I have trained very hard on my strength and my muscles. I have been lifting stones in the mountains. I feel good."

Saturday's fight was originally due to take place on 18 July but Mayweather pulled out with a rib injury.

He has come out of retirement to face Marquez having quit boxing following his 10-round demolition of Hatton.

And Mayweather, who has won all of his 39 fights with 25 knockouts, is confident he can maintain his unbeaten record.

The Mexican people all the time support me. They go crazy for me. If I win this fight, the people will go crazy. It will be wonderful

"He's a hell of a fighter, a skilled boxer and a counter-puncher," he said of his opponent.

"But I've been around the sport a long time and I can adapt to a lot of different styles."

For Marquez, his meeting with Mayweather will mark the pinnacle of his 16-year career and will be his opportunity to step out of the shadows of his more illustrious compatriots Erik Morales and Marco Antonio Barrera.

"This fight has changed my life, it has changed my career," said Marquez.

"It's a wonderful thing. The Mexican people support me all the time and they go crazy for me. If I win this fight, the people will go more crazy. It will be wonderful.

"But I don't want to be just Mexico's number one fighter. I want to be the global number one."

I think that without the weight advantage Mayweather would win. With the extra 4-6 pounds (on fight night) it's going to be more one sided.

Mayweather has a speed and defense advantage along with the weight.

Marquez hits like a mule to the body and might try some Ricky Hatton tactics on Floyd. And he is one tough hombre. But he had trouble with Juan Diaz for goodness sake. And Diaz is not that good of a fighter.

Here is hoping for a good fight tomorrow! :-)

wow dude was lifting stones in the mountains thats gotta be hard -- with the high altitude in all...but seriously this mexican boxer is caliber of roberto duran and we all new how dayum tough duran was.

oooh I know im gonna get it for making that statement but he is an excellent boxer unfortunately I can't say pound for pound because mayweather gots 4 pounds on em. that will be tough to step up a weight class but I have seen marquez fight I watched the Pacquiao fight with my dad and the guy can take a punch to get rocked and knocked down to later get up and take over the ring. very impressive. he also can deliver a hard jab as well. this one for me is too close to call but I do know this im not sure what mayweather is expecting but he better come ready to fight because marquez is the real deal. we all know that mayweather if very fast.. so this will be a great fight im sure.... I can't wait.

and warning: kids don't try this at home there is no way this works

I know petey and C-Man rub it in...lol -- don't say you told us so...but hey you did 'you told us so'

mayweathers strength speed and weight dominated...

-- marquez in an interview even said the weight thing he just couldn't overcome it and the combination of mayweathers speed was obviously too much. to me mayweather besides the weight even looked stronger.. I really expected marquez to counter punch he is a great counter puncher. marquez reminds me of the movie character rocky balboa he takes a punch even gets knocked down shakes it off gets right back up and continues pacman broke his nose in their first bout and he fought the whole match swallowing blood etc. in his heyday he was very impressive but I think his boxing age is catching up with him tho

- I guess next for mayweather is Pacquiao who beat marquez on points in their last matchup only by 1. pacman can really slug by easily beating de la hoya so a mayweather and pacman would really be a good matchup in my oppinion... I must admit so far mayweather has really proved that he has really got good boxing caliber. but true boxing fans really would like to see him box someone in his own weight class for a change. like a hatton or mosley...

im with you guys there is some excellent upcoming boxing match ups in the future that I am also looking forward too.

sorry for the rant guys enjoy the rest of your weekend..

I know petey and C-Man rub it in...lol -- don't say you told us so...but hey you did 'you told us so'

mayweathers strength speed and weight dominated...

- I guess next for mayweather is Pacquiao who beat marquez on points in their last matchup only by 1. pacman can really slug by easily beating de la hoya so a mayweather and pacman would really be a good matchup in my oppinion... I must admit so far mayweather has really proved that he has really got good boxing caliber. but true boxing fans really would like to see him box someone in his own weight class for a change. like a hatton or mosley...

im with you guys there is some excellent upcoming boxing match ups in the future that I am also looking forward too.

sorry for the rant guys enjoy the rest of your weekend..

ehhhhh .... mayweather hammered hatton a couple of years ago and hatton's a light-welter so had to move up one weight to make the fight !!!

mayweather picks his fights just as well as he picks his punches .... there's no doubt he's a class act, but he doesn't believe in taking too many chances with his match-ups. marquez caught mayweather with some good shots, but never looked like hurting him. mayweather was too big, too strong and too good !!!

kinda like whoever posted this thread predicted !!! :wink:

i love manny's style, but again he's a much smaller man than mayweather and that could be a big factor if they ever do get it together !!