Core 2 Duo / i3 / i5

Chatty

Hmmm I will search more at Commart expo today then... so pity tomorrow is the last day. grrrrr not sure good stuff still left there. lol.

I went to Fortune tower tried to compare price but seems the vendors at Fortune town close their shops to Queen Sirikit Con. (commart)

About the OS. mostly I can get only DOS or Linux. I'd like to have window ready.. and I just install the application by myself but it's quite hard to find at the expo.

I've got a really good version of Windows 7 that Pam is running on her laptop, she's amazed at how fast it runs and uses it to edit huge photos, if you want it call over and get it.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lenova with the 512m of dedicated video is a good computer for your needs. The only thing I would do is have it upgraded to 4 gigs of ram right away. The bus speed is good, as is the cpu speed. With Windows 7, and 4 gigs of ram, you will be very happy with it. Photoshop runs so much better with dedicated video memory, and as much ram as you can get in. 4 gigs is the max with that particular cpu setup. That is a good price too.

Hmmm I will search more at Commart expo today then... so pity tomorrow is the last day. grrrrr not sure good stuff still left there. lol.

I went to Fortune tower tried to compare price but seems the vendors at Fortune town close their shops to Queen Sirikit Con. (commart)

About the OS. mostly I can get only DOS or Linux. I'd like to have window ready.. and I just install the application by myself but it's quite hard to find at the expo.

I've got a really good version of Windows 7 that Pam is running on her laptop, she's amazed at how fast it runs and uses it to edit huge photos, if you want it call over and get it.

Okie... I will go to see her anyway.. for hair cut :P If i can get Windows 7 it's gonna be great... I got Microsoft 2010 beta, wanna try?

Okie... I will go to see her anyway.. for hair cut :P If i can get Windows 7 it's gonna be great... I got Microsoft 2010 beta, wanna try?

Alternatively you can put a Linux distribution on your new laptop and use Open Source programs instead and stay perfectly legal. 8)

Just an idea. I have Live-discs of Ubuntu, Mandriva and PCLinuxOS if you want to take a peek. You can run them from disc without installing to test and try. If you think there may not be an open source program for your needs then look here. There is even a nice Lightroom like application called The blueMarine project.

Alternatively you can put a Linux distribution on your new laptop and use Open Source programs instead and stay perfectly legal. 8)

Just an idea. I have Live-discs of Ubuntu, Mandriva and PCLinuxOS if you want to take a peek. You can run them from disc without installing to test and try. If you think there may not be an open source program for your needs then look here. There is even a nice Lightroom like application called The blueMarine project.

I must say though Ubunto is REALLY quite good!

Yes, it is. Best offering by far alternativewise. But it isn't there yet. I struggled with it for months before I just had to "downgrade" to Windows. (Copy version of course.)

Unless your machine is very standard, support is hit and miss at best. And, it's very much aimed at the "enthusiast". Most users just aren't that into the technical side of ****.

But with a bit of investment, Ubuntu could be a real alternative to Gates.

Can't reply ja sorry dunno what happened.

hmm computer broken? or sore eyes?

Pressed submit it said not accepting or something : P

I'm using a VIC 20 5k ram 15k rom 5mb hdd and dial up if it helps.

You should upgrade to a Commodore 64 or a ZX Spectrum.

By the way, I think the salesperson saw you coming - the VIC 20 didn't have a 5MB hard drive or a 56k modem.

You could go for the IBM PC XT - it's got a 10MB hard drive.

:)

By the way, I think the salesperson saw you coming - the VIC 20 didn't have a 5MB hard drive or a 56k modem.

Obviously I've upgraded over time. Try to keep up will yer.

Interesting.

Does it come with DOS?

Sorry - I should've known. I'm interested to know where you slotted in that modem. And the hard disk for that matter? Maybe some DIY mods?

Interesting.

Does it come with DOS?

Yes, PC-DOS 2.0

Sorry - I should've known. I'm interested to know where you slotted in that modem. And the hard disk for that matter? Maybe some DIY mods?

Interesting.

Does it come with DOS?

Yes, PC-DOS 2.0

Ok so long as you set it up for me and it's got a 5 1/4 floppy.

(All the latest stuff is on 5 1/4.)

Yes, it is. Best offering by far alternativewise. But it isn't there yet. I struggled with it for months before I just had to "downgrade" to Windows. (Copy version of course.)

Unless your machine is very standard, support is hit and miss at best. And, it's very much aimed at the "enthusiast". Most users just aren't that into the technical side of sh*t.

But with a bit of investment, Ubuntu could be a real alternative to Gates.

I think many of the popular distros are much of a muchness. They all use the Linux kernel. Ubuntu is based on Debian, Mint is based on Ubuntu etc. I think the difference to most end-users is what Edition/GUI you use. GNOME, KDE, Kfce, Fluxbox etc.

The main thing is that they can be run on fairly modest hardware but I think knowledge of the command line interface/terminal is useful. I can't do without Winders at the moment though because editing hi-def anything using any linux distro just isn't quite there yet for me.

64 Bit & Snow Leopard,

The 64-bit transition.

The entire computing industry is moving from 32-bit to 64-bit technology, and it’s easy to see why. Today’s Mac computers can hold up to 32GB of physical memory, but the 32-bit applications that run on them can address only 4GB of RAM at a time.

64-bit computing shatters that barrier by enabling applications to address a theoretical 16 billion gigabytes of memory, or 16 exabytes. It can also enable computers to crunch twice the data per clock cycle, which can dramatically speed up numeric calculations and other tasks. Earlier versions of Mac OS X have offered a range of 64-bit capabilities. Now Snow Leopard takes the next step in the transition from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Built-in applications are now 64-bit.

Nearly all system applications — including the Finder, Mail, Safari, iCal, and iChat — are now built with 64-bit code. So not only are they able to take full advantage of all the memory in your Mac, but the move to 64-bit applications also boosts overall performance.

Together with other refinements and improvements in Snow Leopard, this means that just about everything you do — from launching applications like QuickTime to running JavaScript in Safari to opening image files — will feel faster and more responsive.

Ready for the future.

The 64-bit support in Snow Leopard makes Mac OS X completely ready for whatever computing enhancements might arrive in the future. For example, Snow Leopard is ready to support up to 16 terabytes of RAM — about 500 times more than today’s Mac computers can accommodate. That may sound like more RAM than you’ll ever need, but who can predict the requirements of high-performance computers in the future? Mac OS X Snow Leopard comes prepared for anything.

The entire computing industry is moving from 32-bit to 64-bit technology, and it’s easy to see why.

Cos everyone'll have to go out and buy another computer?

And another Windows version?

Personally, I couldn't care less if my word processor processes my words in 64, 32, 16 or 2 bits for that matter just so long as Gates doesn't make any more money.

Hurrah!

(Score one for the common man.)

64 Bit & Snow Leopard,

The 64-bit transition.

The entire computing industry is moving from 32-bit to 64-bit technology, and it’s easy to see why. Today’s Mac computers can hold up to 32GB of physical memory, but the 32-bit applications that run on them can address only 4GB of RAM at a time.

64-bit computing shatters that barrier by enabling applications to address a theoretical 16 billion gigabytes of memory, or 16 exabytes. It can also enable computers to crunch twice the data per clock cycle, which can dramatically speed up numeric calculations and other tasks. Earlier versions of Mac OS X have offered a range of 64-bit capabilities. Now Snow Leopard takes the next step in the transition from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Built-in applications are now 64-bit.

Nearly all system applications — including the Finder, Mail, Safari, iCal, and iChat — are now built with 64-bit code. So not only are they able to take full advantage of all the memory in your Mac, but the move to 64-bit applications also boosts overall performance.

Together with other refinements and improvements in Snow Leopard, this means that just about everything you do — from launching applications like QuickTime to running JavaScript in Safari to opening image files — will feel faster and more responsive.

Ready for the future.

The 64-bit support in Snow Leopard makes Mac OS X completely ready for whatever computing enhancements might arrive in the future. For example, Snow Leopard is ready to support up to 16 terabytes of RAM — about 500 times more than today’s Mac computers can accommodate. That may sound like more RAM than you’ll ever need, but who can predict the requirements of high-performance computers in the future? Mac OS X Snow Leopard comes prepared for anything.

The same could be said for any computer. Actually, this article reads more like an advert for Macs or the gumf you'd read on the back of a leaflet you'd pick up in an Apple store. Is it from the Apple website?

I sounds like quite an old article too - the computing industry has already moved to 64bit architecture. SUN, IBM and HP developed it for their systems in the 90's and supercomputers have used the technology for decades. Intel and AMD have developed CPU's with 64bit address registers since the Itanium and Opteron. Even cruddy little laptops like the Dell Inspiron have have shipped with Windows 7 64 as standard since Windows 7 was released. Websites like Novatech in the UK are practically giving away XP and Vista laptops (half-price deals over there if anyone is interested)

Don't worry PiAnt - you don't have to line Uncle Bill's pockets. 64 bit versions of Linux are free too :)

Thks guys to give me helpful useful information, you guys are so kind. Especial p'birdthongchai offered helping me find out.. I'd love to but i'm so "Kreang jai" jing jing kha.

Anyway, good or bad I got it. It's 900 baht over my budget... believe me I got tried to walked around search for the best deal.

Today is the last day for Commart Thailand. So many shops cut down VAT. The first day I went I tried to ask for them sale net. price without VAT. but no one deal.

DSC00975.jpg

Not only ppl in this site told me that Acer wasn't good... my IT guy, and my friends who are in IT business told me as well... I did believe in Si6 na about Asus lol. Not really, some of my friends and my boss use Asus they said it was ok.

I went to Asus / Lenovo / Dell and MSI.

the good deal I got are from Asus and Lenovo. Lenovo gave away free 2GB memory.. Same as Asus but Lenovo was heavier than Asus.... and Asus looks better. They gave away free stuff... I didn't need them but it's good to have them..

DSC00994.jpg

So...

say hello to my new baby... She's still DOS. hehe I should ask someone or hire someone to install Windows 7 for me.

DSC00998.jpg

DSC00996.jpg

DSC00999.jpg

Can't reply ja sorry dunno what happened.

hmm computer broken? or sore eyes?

Pressed submit it said not accepting or something : P

I'm using a VIC 20 5k ram 15k rom 5mb hdd and dial up if it helps.

Sorry to spoil your joke, but a VIC20 had only 3.5 K of ram and a tape drive..

Harddisks where not there yet for the common public...

good old days.... VIC20 was my first one ever :D

Congratulations on your new purchase! Looks like a fine machine and am sure you will have lots of fun with it.

The guys that are offering to try Ubuntu or other linux distro's, i wouldn't do so. What they are offering is great, but you need to be an enthousiast to get it all to work. Installation is easy, and you'll be able to start browsing the internet in no time, but in order to get ALL your hardware to work is a bit more of a hassle...

Biggest disadvantage of Ubuntu is that you can't ask the guy around the corner for help because nearly everyone runs windows based machines. Even starting mac users run into that problem.

You have 4 Gbyte of system memory so you NEED to run the 64bit version of Windows 7. The 32bit runs fine, except you will have only 3Gbyte of RAM at your disposal.

I have been using Office 2010 for a while now. It's great and has some nice new features but is still incompatible with the plugins i use like pdf creator and some other stuff.

Just stick to combination of Windows 7 and Office 2007 with your choice of photoshop.

I have a nice collection if you want to grab some software. Be carefull with updating your windows 7. MS released an update 2 weeks ago that will "unhack" the "hacked" versions of windows 7...

Also have Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection 3 or 4...

Good luck!

Thks kha...

I will go for Windows 7 for sure, I'm not a big fan of Windows but my all 3 computers at office use Windows. So I get use to it. I tried Ubuntu at an open source training center (Joomla) I think it's ok... but I have to learn the new process... so better not.

I went to check out the price from Microsoft vendors

Window 7 starter is about 15xx baht and Home basic is about 3500 baht something.So I don't know I should go for the genuine one?

I installed Beta 2010 on my laptop, the one that i'm using... I quite like it... The first time that I went to Microsoft for training the new features of MS 2010 my jaws dropped... Some work that we have to use PhotoShop and Video editing stuff... 2010 can do that now. love it.

And yeah khun Birdtongchai, I'd love to borrow your "nice collections"