Macintosh anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...

I think that I've read comments about people confusing Mac (computers) with Microsoft (Operating System)...

Over years of modern times, people confused brand names with product names. Here are examples of products that we use mostly every day and that the brand name became the name of the product in most of the Western World where I come from:

You need to buy a/some...

...Kleenex = tissue paper brand name.

...Fridge (From 'FrigidAir) = refrigerator brand name.

...Tampax = sanitary tampon.

and so on...

It's interesting to see that some people are starting to confuse Mac and Microsoft...

No one will ever buy a "Microsoft" computer... Not that soon anyway...

I won't get into the gory technical details but I would like to remind people that a PC can run not only on Microsoft operating system, but also on Linux, FreeBSD, OS/2, SCO, etc...

Also, it appears that even the Mac boxes will run on an Intel (used by most PCs) chip from now on (and not to mention that their latest OS comes from Unix - very different architecture than Microsoft - but far better).

Please don't assume that all PCs are running on Microsoft OS... Thanks! :-)

Gig

what gigabyte said.

EXCEPT "fridge" also works as a contraction of "refridgerator".

under the hood apple OS is better but only coz UNIX is better than WINDOWS.

on the surface, like jimbah said, if you're used ot windoze, then that will be easier than mac.

IPOD people: i used to do location film sound for a living. sound people always use the SONY MDR7506 headphone. it's a big over-the ear type, about US$100. but it is very sturdy, can be repaired, and sounds great (and balanced sound).

if you like earplug style, then the ETMYOTIC are better than sure, but i dont like earplug headphones myself.

if you like BOSE HEADPHONES, you have horrible taste and are better off deaf.

Can someone give a arguement that actually explains why mac is better than microsoft?? A

Hi bigHuntSilentC,

you wanted some arguments why are Macintosh computers better than PCs running Windows?

Hmmm, you also could ask: should I believe in Buddhism or in the Catholic Church? You will find many reasons to believe in that or in the other one! ;-)

Actually if you feel comfortable with Windows and you know how to use it - good -

than carry on with it!

I used Amiga, Windows and now Mac! I worked with all and honestly after about 15 years with computers I wouldn't change back to the Windows-PCs anymore. Why?

It's ease of use an Mac (even my parents work since a half year with an ibook now - they never used computers before), speed, power, compatibility, superior multimedia, lower support costs and value...just to name a few! One of the main reasons: not fixing security holes, fighting viruses or reinstalling programs for the third time!

If you really want to find some reasons than you also should look here:

http://www.apple.com/switch/

Have fun! :-)

Gerry

PS: I'm not an Mac-Monk hahaha but I believe what I see ;-)

jimBAH:

macs are NOT easier to use if you're more familiar with windoze.

however, UNIX is harder for viruses and hackers to screw up (ask a technoweenie for details).

i think it's about f****g time they made mac OS for intel hardware, a new golden age where any operating system runs on any computer follows.

of course i'll still buy overpriced, overdesigned hardware like apple or sony... (sony have some cool looking laptops from time to time).

macs are NOT easier to use if you're more familiar with windoze.

- Sure, if you are more familiar with Windows, Linux or Unix than i agree - but fixing problems in Soft- and Hardware it's more easier on Mac as on other ones!

however, UNIX is harder for viruses and hackers to screw up (ask a technoweenie for details).

- Agree, but also on MacOS9 a virus was hard to get!

i think it's about f****g time they made mac OS for intel hardware, a new golden age where any operating system runs on any computer follows.

- Hmm, lets see if Intel is the right one? I hope It ;-)

Quality and not quantity should be reason!

of course i'll still buy overpriced, overdesigned hardware like apple or sony... (sony have some cool looking laptops from time to time).

- Overpriced? Quality is most of the time more expensive - not only in computer!

Overdesigned? Taste is different! You like the ipod or not - so it's everything up to you ;-)

Just my opinion!

So, take it easy, man!

- Sure, if you are more familiar with Windows, Linux or Unix than i agree - but fixing problems in Soft- and Hardware it's more easier on Mac as on other ones!

software yes, because unix is better "under the hood." windoze ppl, if you know anything about "registry" problems... in unix, there IS NO registry. already easier, huh?

hardware, though, nope. installing a new hard drive on a g4 laptop is not too different from installing one on a compaq. (although i pretend i dont understand windows hardware to avoid having to work with it :P).

the macintosh uses identical hardware components to windows machines except for the CPU and that will most likely be identical to at least some windows machines.

the only reason mac hardware is SLIGHTLY easier to work on is that there is only one manufacturer. if you only repaired dell computers and apple computers for example and had similar levels of hardware knowledge of both, then they would be identical.

you can disagree of course, but until this may i fixed and maintained macintoshes for a living.

- Agree, but also on MacOS9 a virus was hard to get!

that was only because there are so few mac users in the world (3 or 4 percent of pc users. os 9 was VERY hackable and viruses could completely destroy your system (i know this for a fact, i have been doing mac support work for about 10 years on and off).

- Hmm, lets see if Intel is the right one? I hope It ;-)

Quality and not quantity should be reason!

quality-wise, the reason for the switch is that with CPUs, it is impossible to make the best quality unless you make the most quantity due to the economics of chip manufacture and design.

apple have had consistent problems with IBM (and motorola, when they were working with them) not being able to deliver the chips as promised at the speeds they promised.

intel research and development is spectacular because they sell so many chips and pour so much money back into design and production.

i think looking at it from apple's perspective, the alternative is extinction, at least as a computer manufacturer.

software yes, because unix is better "under the hood." windoze ppl, if you know anything about "registry" problems... in unix, there IS NO registry. already easier, huh?

YES

hardware, though, nope. installing.... then they would be identical.

YES AND NO (how much **** drivers and updates you needed for some hardware, videocards, disks and so on when you installed it on pc's? How many times something crashed bec of that - also the same with the network - that's also no problem on macs even with os9

that was only because ...10 years on and off).

YES but only if you downloaded every **** from the net. Worked since Apple II with that and only had some viruses which were not important for normal use. I don't know anybody from work who had an totally systemcrash with new installing the macos afterwards again. Repaired with virusprograms or other software.

Hmm lets see, Jobs did most of the time the right thing - I hope he did the right thing again with Intel. Honestly as an user at work and private i don't care which chip they will use or what kind of known problems they had with IBM and Motorala! For me is important that the System is working without crashing between the work - surfing in the net without stalked by **** viruses or trojans and connecting everything without hard- or softwareproblems - that's it! In the past this was most of the time no problem at all and I'm looking forward that this will be the same in the future! That's the different between Mac and Windows-PC-machines.

And when there will come a time where you can use every system on every computer than I think the decission of the software-system will be more important as right now! Unix based systems like MacOSX will have than a big advantage!

Think different than haha ;-)

Ok, so not only do I use a Mac, but untill last year I worked for Apple. I've used PCs professionally, workstations of every UNIX variety and I always return to the Mac.

I hate the windows registry, eventually as more software gets installed on your PC, the registry ends up corrupted. Which makes new installs of software more difficult and causes overall performance to suffer.

There's about 10,000 times more PC viruses, then Mac ones.

And now that Mac OS X is based on Unix, I get the best of both worlds.

Just as an aside, while there will soon be a version of Mac OS X for Intel, it WON'T run on any PC other than one built by Apple. So don't expect your Dell or off brand PC to be using Mac OS X anytime soon.

Oh, and I have two iPods, a Titanium, two powerbooks and a G4 Desktop, which I soon expect to upgrade to a G5.

yeah, I'm a Mac guy and I while these days i write code for work on a PC. I still don't do windows (java 3 tier client server).

Tony

i have macs--a g4 powerbook and a g5--solely because i'm an elitist a**hole.

and yes, my coffee is better than yours too.

Of course you have better coffee, I live in Thailand... wait a minute you live in the land that gave us Starbucks...

I used to have a mac before they were cool :shock:

starbucks is NOT from new york.

as for before macs were cool... when? they were ALWAYS cool... and overpriced.

now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go look at abstract paintings and read james joyce.

zbh

the b is for elitist a**hole.

starbucks is NOT from new york.

True but I meant North America as opposed to Washington or even Seattle

fine, hussy...

if you lump all of north america together i have no choice but to lump you brits in with europe... including france, and germany :shock:

ONe european Order Oh god no don't give them solidartity Zeus don't do it. oops to late.