NBA? hoops fans?

zeusbheld

i fully realize that the only 'real' sport is soccer football, and that the only sport for 'real men' is rugby football...

however, as a tall sissy, i am also a fan of that favorite sport of tall sissies (if you dont think most hoops players are sissies, watch next time marcus camby throws a punch!!). college ball is a simple universe for me---carolina (UNC) and whoever's playing duke are my favorite teams no matter what. i went to carolina for undergrad, it's contractual obligation.

but as far as the nba goes, i realize the league has its flaws and there are a high number of absolute knuckleheads in the game, but hey i'm an addict. i follow the preseason moves, etc. and i'm more a fan of good hoops than a follower of a favorite team (historically though my first team was the knicks, the second team the sixers, so my early life sucked ass).

i am quite pleased at shaqsquatch's move to miami, and he even lost some weight (FOR A CHANGE). i can't wait to see kobe wantz sink the fakers now that he is the man (more like manchild) in LA....

my EARLY pick for the finals is miami beating minnesota, but i wont lock the pick until the season starts.

anyone got any picks, comments, hoops-bashing, etc... please chime in otherwise i'll just sit here alone on this thread and collect dust....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THAIBEAST: a HEELS fan, damn, i hadnt expected to find someone of such excellent taste up in here! heheh kenny's maybe not the greatest player but like u said he got the rings (and he's on the best sports show, jousting with sir charles). as to whether march madness is a great time, hell yeah if a) carolina dont exit early and B) duke do. roy will bring carolina back, but it will take time for recruiting to get back to dean-smith-era levels...

NHL? didnt they disband that sport or something?

i think 2 ppl is not enough for a fantasy league... i dont want kobe wantz to tear an acl i want him to suffer through every game this season...

KG is my current fav player and i'd agree the all around best baller...

• 1 month later...
here's my fearless predictions:

Title Match - Detroit Pistons vs. San antonio Spurs- (Pistons in six)

MVP - Lebron James

Rookie of the Year - Dwight Howard

Cinderella team - Orlando Magic

Biggest flop - Houston Rockets

v good picks, i think you're more likely to be right with detroit than i with miami (a sentimental fav this year coz i wanna see shaqsquatch rub kobe wantz' nose in it)..

that favorite sport of tall sissies

--its hard to believe that someone who claims to know b-ball would think this . yes, Camby's an easy pick but most of the players at the PF and C spots are absolute monsters!

-Ben Wallace, Shaq, AD, Amare Stoudamire, JermainO'neil, Nene, Magloire..etc....

ill just close this can of worms now

:shock: you won't tell any of those guys i said that will you??? :shock: i was just trying to keep from getting my ass kicked by rugby players...

well, you can tell marcus camby :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
rugby players?
well, you can tell marcus camby

lol - from NY huh? i guess you got a taste of 'cotton camby' first hand -hey i was in toronto during his stint with the raptors so i got a good look at him too. camby's an injury waiting to happen!

off topic here but would you happen to know any bars in bkk i can catch nba games? i was there with some buddies about 2 weeks ago and caught a rockets/knicks game in soi cowboy, of all places. i know bkk isnt b-ball mecca but when i return (in a few weeks) ill need my b-ball fix

thnx

camby. sheesh. you can tell from his posture that he's a disaster. he needs yoga or something.

dont know any bars in bkk that have ballgames, but i'll be there in a few days if i find anything i'll post it. hoops is very popular in china, i had no problem finding places to watch (nba, not so much college) there.

THAIBEAST: TARHEEL FAN:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/10/sports/ncaabasketball/10carolina.html?oref=login

• 4 weeks later...

COLLEGE HOOPS: my boys at UNC-Chapel Hill are looking good.

they completely dominated maryland, who are a pretty good team (#21 in the country). my boys are back for real! this carolina squad is one of the fastest, most agile college basketball teams i've seen.

figure i'd put this up here, even if thaibeast is the only other member who cares. i did my undergrad at UNC, so i have a stake in this...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

jimbah

you played pro ball? for the sonics? :shock:

i LOVED those detroit bad boys. dennis rodman (ON the court) was my hero. he had one of the greatest most underrated basketball minds. he was strong but that wasnt how he got so many rebounds, he understood position perfectly. he could also crawl into a guy's head and f*ck him up, take him right out of the game. one of the best defenders EVER in my opinion.

i'd always admired laimbeer too, but he was so whiny when they finally lost.. kinda ruined it for me... but only a little.

in the present nba there are a couple of teams still playing old-school inside-out ball and even some D, although the rules have changed to favor more scoring, like 90 points per team isnt enough.

i do like the way that [b ] miami and san antonio play these days. not coincidentally they'll probably meet in the finals.

jimBAH

cool. i feel your pain on the white-can't jump-can't shoot.a 6'4" power forward who cant jump how sad is that. i havent even picked up a ball in over a decade.

your leg is ok to play ball on? RU-DY! RU-DY! RU-DY!

if you get the TNT nba highlight show it's the best, with kenny smith and sir charles. they're funny as hell and of course they know the game.

haven't seen 'the goat" yet would like to.

good luck rudy.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
19 games into the season and I am VERY suprised to see the Celtics 17-2. Much Props to Danny Ainge. I'm still a bit skeptical on how they can handle west coasts teams. Let just see how well they'll do against Sacaramento.

Go Celtics!

i think they have the strength in depth to handle west coast teams....

but i'm still a bit skeptical as to how much of a threat they pose to the spurs.

jimBAH

cool. i feel your pain on the white-can't jump-can't shoot.a 6'4" power forward who cant jump how sad is that. i havent even picked up a ball in over a decade.

your leg is ok to play ball on? RU-DY! RU-DY! RU-DY!

if you get the TNT nba highlight show it's the best, with kenny smith and sir charles. they're funny as hell and of course they know the game.

haven't seen 'the goat" yet would like to.

good luck rudy.

Who are you talking to?

Are you mental?

Hahahaaaaaaaaa...

wasn't talking to you. yet you reply.

and *you* are calling *me* mental? i'm surprised they let a pc in your padded cell; it has sharp corners.

• 1 month later...

The one thing they have in their favor is their willingness to leave it all out on the floor every game. I have never seen so much defensive and offensive hustle game in and game out, for every game. This team wants to win every game. They treat every game as a must win.

I believe this team feels like they have something to prove, and that could get them to 60 wins, barring injuries should they keep up that intensity and that mindset.

Its hard to win at this pace all year, which is why only 1 team ever has won 70 games in a season.

Until the Celtics hit an actual lull though, which they surely haven't yet, I guess anything is possible. Who thought they'd be where they are now?

Hey Zeus,

do you get to see games here in Thailand? If you do tell me how, at this moment I just have to look at the boxscores and recaps and sometimes look at the live flash scoreboard I have open behinnd the other apps.

I think despite of the trades involving Pau, Shaq, Shawn etc. The Celts are gonna pull it off, unless one or 2 of the big three will suffer a bad injury. The Jazz or the Spurs aren't going to do it this time. The only other team which I think could win it all this year would be Detroit, Sheed is a killer.

Hopefully in the next two seasons the sixers will crawl back up because it's been a long time since they gave me anything to be proud of, sending Iverson to denver was really a kick in the nuts. Igodala is good, but not as good when he was with Iverson in the team I think Dalembert is one day unbeatable but the next day he accidentally catches 2 or 3 rebounds which happen to land in his face. Korver gone, there is only so much a sixers fan can take.

Hey Zeus,

do you get to see games here in Thailand? If you do tell me how, at this moment I just have to look at the boxscores and recaps and sometimes look at the live flash scoreboard I have open behinnd the other apps.

not often, but if you have cable they show some on ESPN. the live games are on in the morning (ouch).

I think despite of the trades involving Pau, Shaq, Shawn etc. The Celts are gonna pull it off, unless one or 2 of the big three will suffer a bad injury. The Jazz or the Spurs aren't going to do it this time. The only other team which I think could win it all this year would be Detroit, Sheed is a killer.

i wouldn't be so hasty to count out the spurs. nonetheless i've been saying celts since 'the deal' but i'm biased, a long time KG fan.

Hopefully in the next two seasons the sixers will crawl back up because it's been a long time since they gave me anything to be proud of, sending Iverson to denver was really a kick in the nuts. Igodala is good, but not as good when he was with Iverson in the team I think Dalembert is one day unbeatable but the next day he accidentally catches 2 or 3 rebounds which happen to land in his face. Korver gone, there is only so much a sixers fan can take.

sixers are a long way from being ... anything... but far, far better off than the debacle that passes itself off as the knicks. disgrace to the uniform, that lot.

ah well i've still got carolina even if they did lose to the goddamn dookies.

i wouldn't be so hasty to count out the spurs. nonetheless i've been saying celts since 'the deal' but i'm biased, a long time KG fan.

KG deserves to win a title, he is one of the best, he and Iverson are some of the best without ever winning a title (at least for the last decade that is) I've bet 20 bucks on the celts because of the arrival of Allen & Garnett, I won't win that much but I think it was a sure shot. ...I hope so anyway

KG deserves to win a title, he is one of the best, he and Iverson are some of the best without ever winning a title (at least for the last decade that is) I've bet 20 bucks on the celts because of the arrival of Allen & Garnett, I won't win that much but I think it was a sure shot. ...I hope so anyway

AI's been a selfish player most of his career though. He seems to be growing up but it may be too late. KG's always been a team player on the court but his massive salary (and some piss-poor deals by McHale) kept the T-wolves from building a contender around him.

AI's been a selfish player most of his career though. He seems to be growing up but it may be too late. KG's always been a team player on the court but his massive salary (and some piss-poor deals by McHale) kept the T-wolves from building a contender around him.

AI is indeed a very selfish player BUT he's got game. I remember the all star game with Latrell Sprewel (to get back at your Knicks example) in which the east was trailing from the start and it didn't look like the east was going anywhere but then AI started doing what he's supposed to do and the east got it anyway against all odds.

I also respect his rather die than loose mentality, in the finals against the lakers he played with broken fingers for example (not sure if it was one or 2 fingers). They lost 4 -1 but hey gave it all he had, unlike a lot of soccer players who decide to stop playing because they're scared they're injured while it's just a bruise.

What is your favorite all star game BTW? I have only seen the last 8 to 10 I think but the one with AI doing it for the east was mine, it would have been the edition with Jordan's final appearance with his fade away jumper in the final seconds if it weren't for that Kobe guy who got fouled by the at that point idiot Jermaine O neal right after that in which KG was MVP which he well deserved btw.

AI is indeed a very selfish player BUT he's got game. I remember the all star game with Latrell Sprewel (to get back at your Knicks example) in which the east was trailing from the start and it didn't look like the east was going anywhere but then AI started doing what he's supposed to do and the east got it anyway against all odds.

he's got game for real, but selfish players almost never get rings. think sir charles for example. spre, the one year they came close was the only year in his career he played unselfishly.

I also respect his rather die than loose mentality, in the finals against the lakers he played with broken fingers for example (not sure if it was one or 2 fingers). They lost 4 -1 but hey gave it all he had, unlike a lot of soccer players who decide to stop playing because they're scared they're injured while it's just a bruise.

well to be fair though basketball players can go into the locker room and come right back into the game after being x-rayed, whereas soccer players are gone once they're subbed so perhaps they're more at the mercy of their fears of serious injury? taking nothing away from AI of course.

who knew AI'd be this durable considering how banged up he gets.

What is your favorite all star game BTW? I have only seen the last 8 to 10 I think but the one with AI doing it for the east was mine, it would have been the edition with Jordan's final appearance with his fade away jumper in the final seconds if it weren't for that Kobe guy who got fouled by the at that point idiot Jermaine O neal right after that in which KG was MVP which he well deserved btw.

i don't really pay attention to the all star game, it's been years since i watched one.

I was playing ball the other day and I did a pretty damn good cross-over, left my defender for dead and did a perfik figer-roll layup. I shouted, "HARDAWAY BABY"! The next referal was when I pulled a huge board,stuck both elbows out and shouted, "BAD BOYS!!!". No one on the court had any idea who I was talking about. Oh my, getting old.

like you, i'm gettin' old... my favorite bad boys memory is of laimbeer sulking in the locker room, just about in tears, after being Jordan'd.... "they won. they won."