NBA? hoops fans?

zeusbheld

as much as i want boston to win, from what i've seen the lakers look beastly and the celts erratic.

my heart says celts in 7 but if i were putting money down, it'd be lakers in six.

You're right about the Lakers looking good but any team that looks good stops looking that good once they're playing Boston, as long as Allen stays sharp and the other 2 big ones keep doing their stuff it is going to be ok!

I have put my money at the Celts before the season started and I would like to see my money returned with a little bonus :twisted:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kobe was swarmed and their offense had no answers at the finish. Absolutely nothing available inside and nobody could hit a 17-foot jumper. The pressure is on Phil Jackson to come up with something that will work in the closing minutes for game 2. Celtic defense in the 4th quarter is what's going to win this series. If Kobe can't get his open looks and continues to shoot poorly, the Lakers won't be coming back to Boston.

Let's just hope the officiating doesn't try to dictate game play when the series moves to Los Angeles.

Lets go Celtics!.

Kobe was swarmed and their offense had no answers at the finish. Absolutely nothing available inside and nobody could hit a 17-foot jumper. The pressure is on Phil Jackson to come up with something that will work in the closing minutes for game 2. Celtic defense in the 4th quarter is what's going to win this series. If Kobe can't get his open looks and continues to shoot poorly, the Lakers won't be coming back to Boston.

the Lakers will adjust. count on it. however, Celts are sitting pretty right now and they'll adjust to any adjustments the Lakers make. this one WILL get interesting.

Let's just hope the officiating doesn't try to dictate game play when the series moves to Los Angeles.

there will be mistakes, as refs are human, and there's no question in my mind that the NBA officials favor superstars and that' there's a pecking order. however, both teams are star-studded enough where i expect it to even out.

in spite of all the whining by partisan fans in the past decade, series are almost never decided by the officials IMO.

Lets go Celtics!.

AGREE.

Right now, Paul Pirece is in another zone, They're keeping Kobe out of the paint. Celtics are playing swarming defense. Of course, it's not over but I'm loving what I see! :D

I have a couple of decent links if anyone is interested in watching.

Lets go Celtics!

it's on ESPN !!!!!!!!!

Right now, Paul Pirece is in another zone, They're keeping Kobe out of the paint. Celtics are playing swarming defense. Of course, it's not over but I'm loving what I see! :D

I have a couple of decent links if anyone is interested in watching.

Lets go Celtics!

it's on ESPN !!!!!!!!!

yeah i got that 'decent link' too :wink:

they looked good for it in game 2, the near-collapse was disturbing but the celts were clearly mailing it in, thinking they'd won the game.

i expect a different lakers team and the celts' perimeter shooting won't be as lethal away, but if they manage to take even ONE of the next three games in LA they're sitting pretty. LA's never come back from 0-2 in a final, and i don't think Phil has either...

interesting observatiions from baseball player Kurt Schilling, who had courtside seats:

"This one stunned me a little bit. Who doesn't know Kobe Bryant right? I only know what I have heard, starting awhile back with the entire Shaq debacle. I don't really have an opinion one way or the other on or about him other than to know that people feel he might be one of the 4-5 greatest players to ever lace it up. What I do know is what I got to see up close and hear, was unexpected. From the first tip until about 4 minutes left in the game I saw and heard this guy ***** at his teammates. Every TO he came to the bench pissed, and a few of them he went to other guys and yelled about something they weren't doing, or something they did wrong. No dialog about "hey let's go, let's get after it" or whatever. He spent the better part of 3.5 quarters pissed off and ranting at the non-execution or lack of, of his team.

"...as a fan I was watching the whole thing, Kobe, his teammates and then the after-effects of conversations. He'd yell at someone, make a point, or send a message, turn and walk away, and more than once the person on the other end would roll eyes or give a 'whatever dude' look."

they looked good for it in game 2, the near-collapse was disturbing but the celts were clearly mailing it in, thinking they'd won the game.

not a big basketball fan or expert, but could that near collapse be a major turning point in the series ?? they really did come damm close to losing that game !!!

if they had buried the lakers by 20 points or so u just couldn't see any way back for them .... but allowing them to get so close must have been a massive boost to the confidence of the lakers !! mind u 2-0 up is a pretty damm good start !!!

not a big basketball fan or expert, but could that near collapse be a major turning point in the series ?? they really did come damm close to losing that game !!!

if they had buried the lakers by 20 points or so u just couldn't see any way back for them .... but allowing them to get so close must have been a massive boost to the confidence of the lakers !! mind u 2-0 up is a pretty damm good start !!!

Great point CiaranM about the come back instead of the blow out.

The Lakeres have a long road to travel if the team is to prevail.

I have lost 15,000 bhts so far :(

Should have taken that challlenge I offered yiou :)

King

had they collapsed, it WOULD have been a major turning point in the series, evening it at 1-1. since they didn't, i don't think so. Lakers coach Phil Jackson doesn't expect to carry any momentum over from it.

what i DO expect though is the Lakers will get a major boost from going home. the Celts haven't done so well on the road in the playoffs, and Phil's one of the all-time great coaches and will make some adjustments.

the shots won't drop as easily for Boston in LA either (one of the more subtle home court advantages--it's the court you practice on). the LA crowd will boost the Lakers.

in effect, this thing is far from over. unless and until the Celts win one in LA, then you can stick a fork in the Lakers. incidentally, only team to ever come back from 0-2 in a 2-3-2 series was Miami a few years ago. it's a tough format to lose the first two games. hell, any format is tough to lose the first two games. but it ain't over yet, the Celts still have some serious work to do.

had they collapsed, it WOULD have been a major turning point in the series, evening it at 1-1. since they didn't, i don't think so. Lakers coach Phil Jackson doesn't expect to carry any momentum over from it.

what i DO expect though is the Lakers will get a major boost from going home. the Celts haven't done so well on the road in the playoffs, and Phil's one of the all-time great coaches and will make some adjustments.

the shots won't drop as easily for Boston in LA either (one of the more subtle home court advantages--it's the court you practice on). the LA crowd will boost the Lakers.

in effect, this thing is far from over. unless and until the Celts win one in LA, then you can stick a fork in the Lakers. incidentally, only team to ever come back from 0-2 in a 2-3-2 series was Miami a few years ago. it's a tough format to lose the first two games. hell, any format is tough to lose the first two games. but it ain't over yet, the Celts still have some serious work to do.

Can't find any lies in this post :) it will keep the series REAL exciting if LA wins the next 2

Watching CNN there's like the Celtics Vs the Lakers in the final again and again!

It's beginning to remind me of the presidential primaries.

Exactly how many times are the finalists to play each other before there's a winner.

best of seven. it's 2-1 boston now.

And will the loser endorse the winner, albeit begrudgingly?

even bill laimbeer's infamously sulky "they won" was more graceful than clinton's so i am inclined to believe ballers are more gracious than politicians.

That was one of the best comebacks I've ever seen!. Also, one of the best road games for Boston this postseason. Now the lakers are down by 2 games. Not to mention Paul Pierce wasn't 100%, neither was Rondo and they both played great. If it weren't for Eddie House, Ray Allen and Jams Posey, the Celtics wouldn't of come so close. If the Celtics do not win game 5 then they will defiantly take it in game 6. There is no game 7!. Celtics win it all!

Lets go Celtics!

That was one of the best comebacks I've ever seen!. Also, one of the best road games for Boston this postseason.

a subtle reminder: by my count, boston's had all of 2 good road games this post season. but yeah that was a doozy. and that would havve to be the damn game i couldn't bother myself to wake up early.

Now the lakers are down by 2 games. Not to mention Paul Pierce wasn't 100%, neither was Rondo and they both played great. If it weren't for Eddie House, Ray Allen and Jams Posey, the Celtics wouldn't of come so close. If the Celtics do not win game 5 then they will defiantly take it in game 6. There is no game 7!. Celtics win it all!

i'ts looking pretty stick-a-fork-in-'em DONE at this point, agree...

As I have absolutely no idea what the hell's going on, am I allowed to hate Boston on personal grounds?

GO LAKERS!!!

depends on the personal grounds, but it might serve you well to know that lakers' colors are gold and purple whereas celtics are.. um... that green you used there.

you're sending a very mixed message you know.

As I have absolutely no idea what the hell's going on, am I allowed to hate Boston on personal grounds?

GO LAKERS!!!

depends on the personal grounds, but it might serve you well to know that lakers' colors are gold and purple whereas celtics are.. um... that green you used there.

you're sending a very mixed message you know.

I'm seeking to usurp from the semi-inside.

or at least hedge your bet.

well the lakers have forced the series back to boston... barely. they sure didn't look like a team that can win in boston.

gaping defensive holes whenever boston ran a simple pierce/KG pick and rolll. kobe almost silent after the first quarter (a few big plays to put the game away though). blow a big double-digit lead... twice. both pierce and KG in foul trouble (5 fouls each for most of the 4th) and the lakers STILL struggled.

before the series, the Lakers were the pundits' sweethearts, very few thought boston would beat 'em. game 2 of the series was the big momentum-shifter. holding off the lakers' big rally guaranteed boston home court, and boston are lethal on their home floor this year, especially in the playoffs.

there was talk of kobe being unstoppable, the best player in the NBA. there was much talk of KG fading in the 4th, and other problems. there was also much talk of Pau Gasol being soft and not really having the heart to play tough D and grab contested rebounds. so far KG's looked alright, pierce has dominated the series (and kobe, although kobe's been the only one who can even slow him down), and Gasol HAS looked soft. sure, he and lamarr odom played harder in game 5 than they have so far. but they'll need to take it up at least 2 more gears to win 2 more games in boston. this was good enough to extend the series to 6, but a performance at this level will NOT be good enough to extend the series to 7.

so now the lakers have a near-impossible job to do. to stop a team they haven't been able to stop, on boston's home court, and score against the #1 defense in this season's NBA... TWICE.

anything can happen, that's why they play the games. but i'll be surprised if this one goes seven. the Lakers didn't look like a team that can cause an unprecedented collapse.

It is kinda surprising. I thought it was going to be much closer, and honestly I love close contests especially in basketball cause it brings out the athleticism and excitement.

But this is particularly surprising cause the west coast had so many teams contesting well the whole season. And the east coast was so boring and had only the Celtics.

Like my old algebra teacher used to say.... "you can always tell the better team by the scoreboard." He was right. but I am surprised how poorly LA has done in this championship series so far. Kobe couldnt buy a bucket last night. The Celtics have a much better balanced team and a deeper bench.

...Kobe couldnt buy a bucket last night.

credit where due, Doc Rivers' defensive schemes. Kobe gets the ball, he gets swarmed. Rivers drew a line in the sand; someone besides Kobe will have to beat the Celtics.

The Celtics have a much better balanced team and a deeper bench.

they match up particularly well against the lakers too.

interesting thing about the deep bench, is Rivers never settled into a rotation, he has used the entire bench throughout most of the playoffs. that flies in the face of conventional wisdom. had the celts flamed out before the finals, he would have been pilloried in the press for that. as it is, he looks like a genius (and mostly would still look pretty damn genius-y even if the celtics somehow collapse, although the collapse would certainly overshadow everything else).