The 'Official' 2006 Ashes Thread...

MichaelGray

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot being said of course about the result but interestingly a lot of the media in Oz is centred about now being the time to start rebuilding the Aussie team for the future. Here is an article that I thought was pretty spot on if changes are going to be made both for the English and the Aussies :

England must ring changes, Australia might as well

Some master philosopher once said that "cricket is a funny game". England found it certainly peculiar, but a universe away from "ha, ha" yesterday afternoon.

The England touring party will be absolutely, completely, hellaciously, possibly terminally gutted. For two days their batsmen revisited the timeless Test era when working-class bowlers were mere fodder for snobbish batsmen, and groundsmen would be sacked if the game only went five days. The working-class Pommie skipper even declared the innings closed with only six men out.

Why didn't Andrew Flintoff bat Australia completely out of the game by getting another 100 or so?

Is the man too soft, too nice a bloke to be skippering his national team?

Ashley Giles, the pet of Duncan Fletcher, batted, bowled and fielded like a dizzy schoolboy. England would have regretted the omission of Panesar as soon as the coin hit the ground. It cost them bigtime. England will now have to make changes for the Perth Test; they have been forced to. Australia, on the other hand, can keep the winning squad, or can they?

This may be exactly the time to move on a few of the old timers! The series is safe, the Ashes returned (I can't possibly see England winning two of the last three!) ring out the old, bring in the new.

Damian Martyn can go for a start, Hussey up to number four, where he batted so clinically on day five, Jacques or Hodge in at six, Clarke at five. Warrior Chris Rogers will be pushing Langer, and McGrath will be nervous with Shaun Tait and Mitchell Johnson already in the Australian 13. Don't worry about Shane Watson, my spies tell me he is nowhere near fit for any sort of match let alone a Test even if the team 'wheels' did need balancing, which they don't.

Right now is the perfect opportunity for our selectors to make some of the tough decisions they have procrastinated about for at least two years. But do they have the courage or foresight?

The bbc reporter summed it up by commenting on the 2nd innings 'I watched as the England team had a collective nervous breakdown'

As did i by choosing to sit up all bloody night and watch it....

Onto Perth

England team

Strauss

Cook (Sub for Trescothick whos straight jacketed up)

Bell End (Sub for Cpt vaughan)

Collingwood (Top man 22 not out)

Pietersen

Flintoff (not 100% and under pressure as cpt)

Jones (should be fkn shot) Sub Read

Giles (The only spin bowler who cannae spin the fuckin ball) Sub Monty

Hoggard

Harmison (Our best bowler who has the yips)

Anderson (Answers on a postcard) Sub for Simon Jones

In the lead up game to the 3rd Test, the English are playing Western Australia in a 2 day match. There were no Test players in the WA team although Voges, a newcomer for the 3rd test, played.

Seems the bowlers still haven't got it together yet if the State side can still score 309 for 8.

Scoreboard at stumps on the first day of the the two-day cricket match between England and Western Australia at the WACA Ground.

Western Australia 1st Innings

C ROGERS c Read b Anderson 66

D BANDY c Read b Anderson 5

S MARSH c Read b Mahmood 59

M NORTH c Joyce b Mahmood 18

A VOGES lbw b Harmison 31

L POMERSBACH not out 90

L RONCHI c Strauss b Panesar 3

A HEAL run out 28

B DOREY c and b Anderson 2

T MACDONALD not out 3

Sundries (4nb) 4

Eight wickets for 309

PS The 3rd Test will be played at this very same ground but not the same pitch.

Most people I know are calling for Fletcher to go, his obstinance has cost England this series. OK, I could stomach and even understand playing Ashley Giles in the first test without Panesar, but the decision to leave Panesar out in the second was ludicrous. I fear that Giles will play the rest of the series now as Fletcher's post match comments seem to confirm. The trouble is, Giles has had more match practice than Panesar, who has had none since the final warm up game which means that it is not unlikely that Panesar would underperform... :(

I really don't like cricket and i don't give a rats ass who wins but when i'm constantly let down by my beloved England football team i take solice in this little snippet by Winston S Churchill.

we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Brings a tear to my eye even now....... :D

Dear GT I will explain the game to you when you next grace us with your presence, the only downside of the game is you can play for 5 days and not get a result surely the only game in the world that this can happen.

As for some of the posts here, Robert join me one day watching a days play I'm sure you will find it much more exciting than Ice Hockey (yeah right), and Vig no mate that is called American Football.

Charisma Man = classic post.

Danny seems you guys have a lot to bring tears to your eyes lately without W S Churchill doing it. Hope you're not a Manchester City supporter too mate.

Junior you got it mostly right but play was stopped in the blind cricketers match due to ............. bad light!!