Bakseeda

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow....what a really enlightening (not) thread.........with an offensive title. i wonder how many of the "thai girls lie" comments come from people who actually live here. Some but not many I suspect.

I just find it amazing (translation...stupid) how so many people who do nothing more than visit here from time to time seem to know so much about Thailand and its culture.

Christ, I live here and I still know almost nothing about Thai culture. Granted I am not the brightest (translation....dumb).

I think farang living in Thailand can bullshit with the best of them......otherwise how could we get away having 10 girlfriends at a time !!!!

Not advertising the fact on a website with 30,000+ members would be a good start

when i say "we" i mean the royal "we" ....... of course i dont have 10 gfs.......cant u see in my profile, im single. ;)

• 4 years later...
Guest thaiamlife
Everybody lies sometimes but I would genuinly like to know (preferbbly from a Thai person) why do Thai people lie so much?

Has it got to do with the culture? :shock:

The Religion? :shock:

Loosing Face? :oops:

Being Sneaky? 8)

Just something I would like to clear up as it would make my life 100 times easier!!!

This is a legitimate question of course! I have wondered the same of how easily thai's can just say whatever sounds good even if it is a known by both party's talking. How can these story's just roll off thier tongue and without blinking say whatever they want and not feel any guilt for it. Then if questioned about why it is they lie, they just tell another whopper that makes no sense.

For anyone living here, it is widely known that is just how they were brought up and never a penalty or punishment as children for doing so! As in my own experiences here. Usually it will have to do with $$ and any story that will work is fine. Then when the story is obviously a lie, you will get another and you will never know the real truth of the matter. If you live in los, this is just how the culture here is. It is not thought of in the same sense as people from the west think of it. The question comes to mind of "Integrity" I am just as amazed at the ease at which they do this too. Your question, I'm sure is asked with a straight forward and reasonable inquiry. Please if any thai can answer this, I would be interested to know. This takes you to another question as how can a marriage or relationship between and thai and a falang as they call us ever last?....

Personally, I just let it all go in one ear and out the other and use my own judgement which I am usally 99.9% right on my gut feeling and sense of rational. In my own opinion, It is just lack of upbringing with no reguard for a penalty for lying.

It does have a tendancy to make one untrusting of most thai's when it so ingrained in the culture. The excuses I hear are#1 it was a joke#2 I wanted to not upset you!#3 If you don't trust me then you don't love me! etc etc..

When coming to thailand to live this will be learned fast that this is just how it is here. Yes, it will dissapoint you that no one will take responsibility for thier actions and still smile at you as if they are your best friend all the while trying to figure out what the next good story can be to get that darn baht out of you. It's lovely to know they all respect you...ughh....anyone who disagree's with this has never spent any time in los.....I'm sorry to say it is just a lack of "integrity" anything goes here and that is from the top to the bottom. Los has alot of work to do before it can become a place to live and trust and know your thai friend is a real friend. Learn that you will never be in thier circle. The thinking is, if you have more money, then it ok to try and extract as much with anything or way you can because it won't hurt you because you are rich. You are fair game! family included. If it weren't for this story telling and extraction methods in los, it would be a much much nicer place to be and would gain alot more respect from me. But years and years of culture will be hard to change.Everything is a business deal!! it's like living in a country and everyone is a used car dealer!

LOL. I read the first two sentences and then kind of skimmed through the rest...I decided to read the last sentence for no real reason, and I'm so glad I did!

it's like living in a country and everyone is a used car dealer!

Fantastic quote. Negates anything stupid you previously said.

I haven't seen this old chestnut for a while but then I have been away. Perhaps we could have a 'Why is gik/kik so popular?' too! That one never dies. I would say the 'girls' the TS (thread starter, not (necessarily) transsexual are lying is because they are broke, yabba-addicted (nothing wrong with that 2nd part) hookers in need of a few $$$$$$$$$. But it is only a guess to be fair... They could just be taxi girls cheating on their sugar daddy.

Everybody lies sometimes but I would genuinly like to know (preferbbly from a Thai person) why do Thai people lie so much?

Has it got to do with the culture? :shock:

The Religion? :shock:

Loosing Face? :oops:

Being Sneaky? 8)

Just something I would like to clear up as it would make my life 100 times easier!!!

Losing face is THE option! But, as others said here, lying is not a priviledge of Thai people!