Video Games : Wii/PSP/DS

vindie

I am visiting Japan right now but I live in Chiang Mai. I didn't check things before I left, but now I'm very curious and can't find info on the net. You can help me by giving me ballpark prices for these consoles (in baht).

Nintendo Wii

Sony PSP

and Nintendo DS

It seems like the prices on these things are quite low in Japan right now because of the big big BAHT.

Also... how "available" are the games for these systems? Am I going to have any luck at the night bazaar? I've only seen GBA/PS2/and XBox games, but I haven't looked in awhile.

Thanks!!

• 1 year later...

Sources close to Sony say that sometime in the future, a new PlayStation Portable will be released. While there?s been no official word, the game site is reporting that there could be an update to the current PSP (which might be called the PSP 4000), and in the not-too-distant future (2010 or 2011), Sony will introduce a completely new model, confusingly dubbed the ?PSP2.?

new-psp.jpg

I know you can get hundreds of cheap games for the PSP at the MBK, so i'd imagine they're available up north.

Only difference being is that the games are saved onto the memory stick, and not sold in the UMD (like a minidisc) format, like originals.

Not sure on the system prices here, but I'm confident they'd be cheaper in Japan.

dont know the price offhand but it should be lower in japan as they're all made by japanese companies and thus can sell in japan without any extra tarriffs or taxes.

I don't know about that. From personal experience, things are always more expensive in Japan, even when they are made there. It's the basic law of supply and demand, and there's always a lot of demand for video games in Japan... Another problem is that Japanese console will sometime not play the American versions of the games, so unless your Japanese is excellent, I would pass on the occasion.

Not sure on the system prices here, but I'm confident they'd be cheaper in Japan.

The Consoles might be cheaper in Japan, however, like most electronics sold in Japan, i found it is most likely that the menus and operative system would be in Jap Language.

Not sure about the hand held consoles, but my Japanese PS3 is running with English, and my UK PSP has Japanese, chinese, korean available in the language options.

Regarding the PSP and regional compatibility of games, the stall at the mbk assured me the games would work on my PSP.

and just found this on Wikipedia

The PSP does have partial regional lockout, and uses the same regions as DVD. As of February 2006, the lockout is only used for UMD movies and not for games, although Sony has hinted it is up to the developers if they want to include region restriction in their games. As of February 2007, copies of Battlezone for the PSP that are released in certain countries are region-restricted, however it is unknown if there are other region-restricted PSP games in the market.

Last time I checked Nintendo Wii was around 14,000 Baht for a Pal version, it might be cheaper now. That's fairly expensive - it's even cheaper in the UK so I expect it will be cheaper in Japan. Copied games are available all over BKK.

Japanese versions of Wii have Japanese language menus but are very easy to navigate so it shouldn't be a problem. Also, remember that the Wii console is regional - NTSC in Japan so games you buy in Thailand won't play on it unless it's modded and copied games won't play on an un-modded Wii either. WiiWare and virtual Console titles are are easily obtainable though and there's a simple hack but you need a copy of Zelda:Twilight Princess.

DS is around 5 or 6000 Baht and the games are region free including ROM's You can get some good bargains in Akhihabara District if you rummage around in the bargain bins.

What ever you buy gaming wise but in Sahpan Lek..... you like the kind of guy that would like it there!

do you trust the hardware there? looks kinda dodgy...

If it blew up they would fix it for free within 12 months of buying it, MBK/Panthip would just shrug at you and say its your fault.

Guest FLGlenn

The Consoles might be cheaper in Japan, however, like most electronics sold in Japan, i found it is most likely that the menus and operative system would be in Jap Language.

I'm not sure but I believe they call it Japanese these days! :shock:

Semantics!

I'm not sure but I believe they call it Japanese these days! :shock:

Semantics!

You might want to look up the meaning of Semantics ...or go back to your crayons

I don't think I'd give him crayons even!

I'm thinking about getting a new xbox for online gaming, theres so much life to waste and not enough things to waste it on.