port forwarding, static ip's

fb2: tell me too if that guide helps you! I had the same problem.

Actually I have secondary problem related to using Macbook and ADSL router/box that has internal firewall...I want to share files with friends using Papaya but damn they cant connect in and I have no idea how to open a hole for them. Ok, that is seperate post...:)

Cool! I can probably help as I have almost exactly the same model sitting right here! So assuming that you do need NAT and DHCP turned on so other computers can be connected here's what you need to do.

First configure the static IP. Select LAN then Static DHCP. You need your MAC address. [You can find this by clicking on your local area connection in Network Connections (normal left click) click the support tab then details. Copy the Physical Address entry right at the top. That's the MAC Address.] Choose an IP address. If your router is at the defaults you can choose 192.168.1.40. To make sure, check the Client IP Pool Starting Address under LAN Setup DHCP. I think it will be 192.168.1.33 or something very close. The first three sections of the number must be the same. The last section should be different to avoid possible conflict.

Now select NAT in the Advanced Configuration and it's probably set to SUA that is probably good enough. Select edit and you will see where to enter your port forwarding.

Renew your IP address and check to see that it's the one you assigned. Port forwarding should now be working!

Cool! I can probably help as I have almost exactly the same model sitting right here! So assuming that you do need NAT and DHCP turned on so other computers can be connected here's what you need to do.

First configure the static IP. Select LAN then Static DHCP. You need your MAC address. [You can find this by clicking on your local area connection in Network Connections (normal left click) click the support tab then details. Copy the Physical Address entry right at the top. That's the MAC Address.] Choose an IP address. If your router is at the defaults you can choose 192.168.1.40. To make sure, check the Client IP Pool Starting Address under LAN Setup DHCP. I think it will be 192.168.1.33 or something very close. The first three sections of the number must be the same. The last section should be different to avoid possible conflict.

Now select NAT in the Advanced Configuration and it's probably set to SUA that is probably good enough. Select edit and you will see where to enter your port forwarding.

Renew your IP address and check to see that it's the one you assigned. Port forwarding should now be working!

umm...i don't have a MAC?

MAC means "MAC-address", it is sort of a static identity of every maschine. Follow his advice how to find out what is your MAC address.

(I think ipconfig /all or something in Windows maschine in command prompt should give you extra info too that contains the mac address of your ethernet card and router/adsl-modem??)

http://www-dcn.fnal.gov/DCG-Docs/mac/xp.html

http://www-dcn.fnal.gov/DCG-Docs/mac/MAC-OS-X.html

umm...i don't have a MAC?

every network-able computer has a MAC address regardless of who makes it. has nothing to do with appun.