US in the world

kaunitz

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aye cos lots of people who earn 70k live in the same houses as those on 20!!!

Of course they do, youd need 70k a year to buy the same house that someone on 20k a year bought 10 years ago. It is an unfair tax.

My case is now closed.

Case was never open mate. I never said council tax was fair BUT it is still fairer than the poll tax!!!

Locally set taxes based on income of household far fairer as it take sinto account all wages in house and also what local services are provided.

:twisted:

Of course they do, youd need 70k a year to buy the same house that someone on 20k a year bought 10 years ago. It is an unfair tax.

My case is now closed.

Case was never open mate. I never said council tax was fair BUT it is still fairer than the poll tax!!!

Locally set taxes based on income of household far fairer as it take sinto account all wages in house and also what local services are provided.

We can even argue on things we almost agree on, isnt that the basis for a good marriage, if you fancy going to LOS and getting it chopped off and wear a skirt i'll go get the wedding ring.

My case is now closed.

We can even argue on things we almost agree on, isnt that the basis for a good marriage, if you fancy going to LOS and getting it chopped off and wear a skirt i'll go get the wedding ring.

Lol. Nah you can be the ***** mate!!

Just because I was opposed to something doesnt mean I like the replacement!! Poll tax was unfair, council tax unfair too!!

Refugees from oppression good, refugees out to make quick buck bad.

Though cant understand your anti Polish stance; I love Pole dancers...

Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term used in Australia and New Zealand to describe what is seen as a levelling social attitude. Someone is said to be suffering from tall poppy syndrome when his or her assumption of a higher economic, social or political position attracts criticism, being perceived as presumptuous, attention seeking or without merit.

I think this is the part that was relevant...

Bollocks it's relevant.

Relevant to what?

It's about as relevant as my arse.

Just because people compain about something or put it down doesn't mean that that particular thing is being put down or complained about because it's any better than any other sh*t.

f*ck me is he a customer or something?

Relevant to the discussion...

The 'Tall Poppies' being referred to are Americans whose "assumption of a higher economic, social or political position attracts criticism". The implication being that bad things happen to people who blow their own trumpet.

I don't know if he's a customer.

By the way, the World War 1+2 stuff is pretty irrelevant now - America today is not the same America as then.

(Not sure I'd be too proud of the two atomic bombs dropped on cities full of civilians though)

In conclusion.... I'd fully support a yellow card for SiamHotel and his drivel.

Though cant understand your anti Polish stance; I love Pole dancers...

I owned a business and lived in East Europe for several years.

Polish people are hardworking and their women are slim and sexy, but i worked on a building site in 1993 earning 400 quid a week, if i were to do the same job now itd be about 500, mass supply of Polish builders has made working on building sites less worthwhile.

Besides complaining about everything is great.

Thank You for Your insight in telling us stupid Europeans how we need the good old US.................. You are and will forever be the laughing stock of the world.

Nah, Euros don't need America. You screwed everything up pretty well without us prior to 1940. I'm sure you can continue to screw everything up just as well again. With us. Without us. It matters not.

You laugh at us because you are ashamed of yourselves. Every time you guys get an edge millions die from war. At least with America, we keep it localized and the death toll stays relatively low. We don't drag the whole world into our wars.

Most of the violence in Africa can be directly traced back to you. The divisions in the Middle East can likewise be traced back to your actions. The Arab-Israeli conflict can be traced back to you. Your Russian brothers gave us Communist China.

I wouldn't laugh either. 90% of the death toll of the past 100 years is the fault of Europe.

Good Job guys. Yeah, you should laugh at us. We are no where near as good at dealing death as you.

Youre fantastic!

I always thought the British govt were fcukwits blaming the UK housing crisis and obesity on America, but you just wipe the floor with their limited blaming of others.

Can you give me one example where Britain was indirectly or directly involved in any of the below attrocities?

The Khmer Rouge, was that Britains fault?

Stalin starving the Russians?

The Holocaust was that Britains, Frances, Hollands, Polands fault?

Rape of Nanking?

The genocide in Mogadishu, Darfur, Rwanda, Iraq am i at fault for this?

Cant you not just go to Iraq and become a war hero?

As for the middle east conflicts they have been going on long before the British or Europeans existed in their current form.

At least with America, we keep it localized and the death toll stays relatively low. We don't drag the whole world into our wars.

About 100,000 in Iraq well done for keeping it so low, granted many of these have been done by Iraqi's on Iraqi's.

Your Russian brothers gave us Communist China.

If my comrades created communist China then I will personally take credit for the success that the Chinese economy is going through at present, and the 6000 years of fascinating Chinese culture. Us Brits are superior we created a communist society 6000 miles away, several thousand years before our nation was even in existance, how clever are we.

But we dont take any responsibility for Mao and the murder of 10s of millions of Chinese that was someone elses fault, but it wasnt Mao's as when you kill people its always someone elses fault, that is how your theory works isnt it Hectic.

Dojib854,,

Tell me this What is the Worlds Super Power!!!!!!!! Go ahead and Laugh we can take a Joke like you, Just Don't really Piss Us off! Amercia can pull together if needed! And They is Nothing anyother Country could do to Stop US! Your All Talk PUNK! *****! A real Man behind your Keyboard! With Nothing to back up your words! With! Chicken SH It

Dojib854,,

Tell me this What is the Worlds Super Power!!!!!!!! Go ahead and Laugh we can take a Joke like you, Just Don't really Piss Us off! Amercia can pull together if needed! And They is Nothing anyother Country could do to Stop US! Your All Talk PUNK! b*tch! A real Man behind your Keyboard! With Nothing to back up your words! With! Chicken SH It

The World's Super Power? China obviously... Economically and Militarily.

Sad but true.

Bob Hate to say it but your Wrong! They maybe the Largest!! But They have nothing!! As to speak of as in a Air Force, or Up to date Weapons Systems! Keep guessing Mate!! Nice try!!! I'm sure we could run out of bullets but Not Bombs!!!

I'm pretty sure China has all the military equipment it needs for it's vast army. And all the US's resources have failed to produce a win in either Afghanistan or Iraq.

(Check out General Petraeus' comments last week... Let's not call him a ***** or a pansy-ass liberal... he's an experienced general on the ground in Iraq... He knows more than you and I)

And let's face it, China can buy more than the US... after all they're the ones who have been lending America all the money.

If we followed the mold of Europe and went in and attempted to just kill everyone and leave a wasteland. We'd have won already.

That's not what we are trying to do. We are attempting to do that same thing that we did in Japan and Germany. Build a new and successful government and society.

Hmmm

Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Agent Orange and Napalm...

America also built governments in Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia... Notice a trend? They're all terrorist hotbeds now.

Former friends? Saddam Hussein and Qsama Bin Laden...

You MUST agree America's standing in the world - militarily, economically and politically has nose dived dramatically in the past ten years. During his period America followed no-ones mould but their own.

Instead of arguing that all the 'America-haters' are wrong, wouldn't it be better to ask why here are so many of them?

Ok Bob, You can Mix it up All ways from Sunday! I won't go back in your country's History!! I sure I could find a lot that you would not be proud of now!

And the remarks about Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Agent Orange and Napalm... Lost me! Hell If I was President Then I would Have Kept Nuking a few more Places!!!

And as "America also built governments in Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia... Notice a trend? They're all terrorist hotbeds now." There has Been A Government in each of those countries?? And Saudi Arabia is a Kingdom that has been around a lot longer then Our two countries!!

Well I will stand By my Country 100% I would Die For it!! I'm a Veteran! And if they ever ask me to Come Back and Fight for my Country I would in a "New York Minute" and Go to any other country and Kill any one My country Told me to!! Right or wrong!!!

So if you have never Held a Rifle in your Hand for your Country! Please Try It!! Maybe Now You will understand That I will Back the USA 100%, Right or Wrong It's still my country!!!! This will be my last post!!

Hey Bob I'm not at all calling you an American Hater! Your words Have been good, and just facts, But I was a little more upset at what dojib854 said at first!!

And China can't do it! If Walmart Closed all it's Doors,,, China would be in Financially ruined With out Exports of Goods They could not last to long!!!!

Osama bin Laden is not a former friend of the US. You are half right on Saddam. Iraq being a former British Mandate, you should have more knowledge on the rise of Saddam than I.

Osama was trained and armed by the US when he was a mujahadeen fighting the Russians in Afghanistan.

Every country has its past mistakes. There's no valid argument in saying, "Well your country did worse than ours in the past." Firstly it's subjective and secondly it's not answering the points raised by others.

It's fine to be patriotic, but not BLINDLY patriotic.

China may sell to Walmart, but it also supports the rest of the world too. And sorry to say it, but if China stopped selling to Walmart.... what are you guys gonna wear?

America's position globally has nosedived - America baiting has become an international sport (like football - but not the American version :wink: )

And there's no valid argument in saying you don't care if people hate your country, because it's obvious you DO care.

The last ten years have been a disaster for America - my American friends agree with me... they are all hoping for a change... and so am I.

If America doesn't change it's foreign policy and it's dependence on Arab oil, the future doesn't look good.

My opinion on oil is that the world needs to give it up

But there isnt anything as efficient and cheap to replace it, and there isnt likely to be anytime soon, modern efficient Nuclear power stations takes 10-20 years to develop.

so the damn Wahhabis of Saudi Arabia will stop spreading their apocalyptic hate.

There was a program in the UK about Saudi sponsored Jihadists spreading hate at the largest mosque in the UK, the Dhimmi British govt. do nothing about it.

Finally, the Spanish-American War revealed that industrialization in the late 19th century had made the US a great power. Now, as the frontier in the American West disappeared, the nation sought new room to grow: world markets, protected by a worldwide Navy based on island territories throughout the world. Furthermore, new ideas of "Social Darwinism" in the period suggested to many Americans that international relations were a nasty contest in which the "fittest" nations would do what they had to in order to survive. Regardless of the reasons behind annexation, the Spanish-American War and the colonies it brought to the US marked, for good and for ill, the beginning of the modern era of US intervention in world affairs. And the emergence of the US onto the international stage as a power also symbolized to many that the US had finally emerged, whole and healthy, from the era of the Civil War

At the beginning of the 21st century only the U.S. has the will to maintain a global foreign policy and to intervene everywhere it believes necessary. Today and in the near future, America will make the decisions that will lead to war or peace, and the fate of much of the world is largely in its hands. It thinks it possesses the arms and a spectrum of military strategies all predicated on a triumphant activist role for itself. It believes that its economy can afford interventionism, and that the American public will support whatever actions necessary to set the affairs of some country or region on the political path it deems essential. This grandiose ambition is bipartisan and, details notwithstanding, both parties have always shared a consensus on it.

The obsession with power and the conviction that armies can produce the political outcome a nation's leaders desire is by no means an exclusively American illusion. It is a notion that goes back many centuries and has produced the main wars of modern times. The rule of force has been with mankind a very long time, and the assumptions behind it have plagued its history for centuries. But unlike the leaders of most European nations or Japan, the United States' leaders have not gained insight from the calamities that have so seared modern history. Folly is scarcely an American monopoly, but resistance to learning when grave errors have been committed is almost proportionate to the resources available to repeat them. The Germans learned their lesson after two defeats, the Japanese after World War Two, and both nations found wars too exhausting and politically dangerous. America still believes that if firepower fails to master a situation the solution is to use it more precisely and much more of it. In this regard it is exceptional ? past failures have not made it any wiser.

Wars are at least as likely today as any time over the past century. Of great importance is the end of Soviet hegemony in East Europe and Moscow's restraining influence elsewhere. But the proliferation of nuclear technology and other means of mass destruction have also made large parts of the world far more dangerous. Deadly local wars with conventional weapons in Africa, the Balkans, Middle East, and elsewhere have multiplied since the 1960s. Europe, especially Germany, and Japan are far stronger and more independent than at any time since 1945, and China's rapidly expanding economy has given it a vastly more important role in Asia. Ideologically, Communism's demise means that the simplified bipolarism that Washington used to explain the world ceased after 1990 to have any value. With it, the alliances created nominally to resist Communism have either been abolished or are a shadow of their original selves; they have no reason for existence. The crisis in NATO, essentially, reflects this diffusion of all forms of power and the diminution of American hegemony. Economically, the capitalist nations have resumed their rivalries, and these have become more intense with the growth of their economies and the decline in the dollar ? which by 2004 was as weak as it has been in over 50 years. These states have a great deal in common ideologically, but concretely they are increasingly rivals. The virtual monopoly of nuclear weapons that existed about a quarter-century ago has ended with proliferation.

The U.S. has more determined and probably more numerous enemies today than at any time, and many of those who hate it are ready and able to inflict destruction on its shores. Its interventions often triumphed in the purely military sense, which is all the Pentagon worries about, but in all too many cases they have been political failures and eventually led to greater American military and political involvement. Its virtually instinctive activist mentality has caused it to get into situations where it often had no interests, much less durable solutions to a nation's problems, and thereby repeatedly creating disasters and enduring enmities. America has power without wisdom, and cannot, despite its repeated experiences, recognize the limits of its ultra-sophisticated military technology. The result has been folly, and hatred, which is a recipe for disasters. September 11 confirmed that, and war has come to its shores.

That the U.S. end its self-appointed global mission of regulating all problems, wherever, whenever, or however it wishes to do so, is an essential precondition of stemming, much less reversing, the accumulated deterioration of world affairs and wars. We should not ignore the countless ethical and other reasons it has no more right or capacity to do so than any state over the past century, whatever justifications they evoked. The problems, as the history of the past century shows, are much greater than America's role in the world; but at the present time its actions are decisive and whether there is war or peace will be decided far more often in Washington than any other place. Ultimately, there will not be peace in the world unless all nations relinquish war as an instrument of policy, not only because of ethical or moral reasoning but because wars have become deadlier and more destructive of social institutions. A precondition of peace is for nations not to attempt to impose their visions on others, adjudicate their differences, and never to assume that their need for the economic or strategic resources of another country warrants interference of any sort in its internal affairs.

But September 11 proved that after a half-century of interventions America has managed to be increasingly hated. It has failed abysmally to bring peace and security to the world. Its role as a rogue superpower and promiscuous, cynical interventionist has been spectacularly unsuccessful even on its own terms. It is squandering vast economic resources, and it has now endangered the physical security of Americans at home. To cease the damage the U.S. causes abroad is also to fulfill the responsibilities that America's politicians have to their own people. But there is not the slightest sign at this point that voters will call them to account, and neither the American population nor its political leaders are likely to agree to such far-reaching changes in foreign policy. The issues are far too grave to wait for American attitudes and its political process to be transformed. The world will be safer to the extent that the U.S.' alliances are dissolved and it is isolated, and that is happening for many reasons, ranging from the unilateralism, hubris, and preemptory style of the Bush Administration to the fact that with the demise of Communism the world's political alignments are changing dramatically.